“Fab hotel that likes seeing you naked!”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #80 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Fab hotel that likes seeing you naked!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Was up for the Edinburgh Festival so the room rates were somewhat overinflated... However, the position in George Street is great, the adjoining restaurant/bar/club space always lively... and the rooms... well, individual, luxurious and stylish. Only downsides were (1) calling room service tends to mean you are on the phone listening to reception phone's ring for well over ten minutes (what are they doing down there?) and (2) a cleaner came in WITHOUT knocking the door and seemed to like seeing us naked but didn't apoligise (or get their own kit off) and (3) when we mentioned the whole "it would be nice if we don't have to get naked for your staff" thing to reception they didn't apoligise but instead charged us £50 surplus check-out fee for being 90 minutes late getting out of our room... So... a great hotel if you like getting naked in front of a cleaner who is fully clothed (!)... I'd stay there again for sure... but think twice about taking my dressing gown off in the hotel room... reception seem to think it entirely normal that their colleagues see their guest's private parts. And that was the manager!

2 Thank RobLondonBusiness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Loved this hotel, the location is good for tourist activities, shopping, restaurants and bars. The range of bars in the hotel itself are varied and high class. The food is posh pub grub served well. A young staff team who are ken to please. the rooms were a little small but the around the world theme was quaint and quirky. Huge breakfast. Busy during the fringe but worth a visit

Rosyth, Fife
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were spending a day at the Fringe and decided on lunch at at LeMonde restaurant. Only difference is that they had set up a marquee in George Street, a rather different experience for us. In fact last time we had similar lunch was when we lived in Holland 1993 -1996.
We watched the world go by over wine as we waited on lunch. Quiet compared to indoors restaurant but that suited us. Served very quickly, meal was great, excellent value. £40 for two starters and main courses plus glass of wine each. Great experience and will probably dine indoors in future.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 August 2014

When you "jump the pond," you start off a bit upside down. From the moment I entered Le Monde until the very second I left, EVERY staff member that met me morning or night treated me with sincere kindness. Theft helped me with every detail and got me any help I needed, all with a smile.

Yes, the hotel is cool and "western" in amenities, with old-world charm one finds in cities this age, but it was the people that made me feel ... Home.

Thank you all!

Room Tip: I was in "Moscow" and it had an awesome tub/shower. Each room has it's own them, so pr...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Madisonville, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have to preface this review as I could have a completely different experience had it not been during fringe fest. I had the opportunity to stay in the "Havana" room on the 2nd floor. I wanted an opportunity to stay in Edinburgh to enjoy fringe fest and the royal military tattoo. There were not many hotels left to book and the rest were very expensive. I noticed that Le Monde Hotel was located on George St. which is very close to Edinburgh Waverly station.

The room itself was very beautiful and I would really enjoy seeing all of the 18 themed rooms that the hotel has to offer. The problem I had with the room was that who thought it was a good idea to separate the shower on one side of the room and then have to talk 30+ feet to the toilet/sink area. I'm not sure if anyone thought of this idea but its ridiculous to have to walk out of the shower and all the way over to the sink area. The lighting scheme options were low, medium, and high but not all of the buttons worked. Why can't you just put a simple light switch and that would satisfy everything.

The customer service was average and they did apply a discount due to my complaint about noise until 1:30 AM. The front desk staff were polite and apologetic.

The breakfast was extremely overpriced at 19 GBP for eggs, porridge, and some coffee. The restaurant and bar are very beautifully decorated though.

At the end of the day I would return to the hotel to see the other rooms and not during Fringe fest as it would have a different ambiance to it.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor to avoid the noise from nightclub.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights in August 2014. Loved the room and bathroom. Very comfortable and very centrally located. No gym or spa services however. Staff was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations. Really enjoyed the place.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for one night for our wedding anniversary. We stayed in the Tokyo suite, fabulous room, very large and luxuriously. Fab bathroom as well. Staff were friendly and professional. Not cheap but worth thye money

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple