Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$272
  • Bar/Lounge
US$167
US$185
US$171
US$144
US$133
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$130
US$191
US$177
  • Restaurant
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$79
  • Bar/Lounge
Novotel Edinburgh Centre(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$194
US$161
Travelocity
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$258
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$130
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgeorge streetatlantis roomsunken bathcairo suitedirty martinishanghai clubnightclub downstairsjunior suiteon arrivalboutique hoteldouble showerbreakfast in bedfabulous hotelwould recommend this hotel to anyonefantastic staybirthday treatthe heart of the city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2009

the rooms are dirty and covered in dust (see photo attached). My wife and i each year (wedding annisversary) stay at what we believe to be up -market hotels to celebrate. These include in past have included Gleneagles, Mar Hall, Witchery, Waldorf Astoria-NY etc (all extremley enjoyable)

This so-called boutique hotel is a shambles, dont expect a good service within the hotel. examples include: rooms not being cleaned or ready 2 hours after official check in time, room service poor (dont expect light bulbs or remote controls to be replaced within 4 hours of reportign it). Bathroom tap controls broken, not fixed despite reporting it.

The only saviour is that the restuarant and nightclub are well operated....FORGET HOTEL.
SPEND YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE WHERE THEY VALUE CUSTOM AND EMPLOY PROFESSIONALS. I travel the world with business and have learnt to compromise when needed , but paying that amount of money for a sub standard service i cant overlook.

ps. the manager who after 3 weeks reluctantly offered a voucher admitting the service was poor has since left (hopefully onto bigger and better things!). The hotel is now trying to get us to pay an amount of money to upgrade to a better room...as they dont (mysteriously) have the room type available as presented in the voucher. ALSO DONT EXPECT RECEPTION TO EVER RETURN CALLS...DESPITE ASSURING THAT THEY WOULD ON 3 OCCASSIONS IN ONE DAY!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlasgowDandB
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My wife and I booked for four nights but arrived back at the hotel on the second day to find the room flooded due to a roof leak, with water still running from the ceiling into the window alcove.

Part of the floor had been covered with hotel towels but the carpet was drenched and our wet possessions had (sensibly) been moved away from the window area. A bucket and mop had been placed strategically outside the door, presumably for us to mop up any more water.

Despite having our mobile 'phone numbers on record and our seeing the Receptionist on the way in and passing the time of day with her, nobody had bothered to contact us to tell us what had happened - we arrived in the room to find the mess and wet luggage. Not a good start. We contacted Reception but no-one came up and we received no apology.

I accept that a leak in the roof is a unforseen misfortune for them but the least one expects is to be treated with courtesy and every effort made both to inform us, apologise for the inconvenience and help us get alternative accommodation.

We were then told that the hotel was fully booked and that there was no alternative room. They offered to book us in at the George Hotel across the road. We accepted.

We then had to re-pack our luggage and take it across the road and book in. No-one accompanied us or offered any assistance. Staff at the George were courteous, sympathetic, very helpful and astonished that no-one from le Monde was with us. A complete contrast.

When we left 3 days later, no arrangements had been made for cross-billing (as promised) and we had to pay in full. When my Amex statement came I found that Le Monde had charged the full amount for 4 nights to my card without authorisation. Two months later I am still £490 out of pocket and still waiting for a credit. Promised calls from a Manager have yet to materialise. An expensive 4 nights at £1,000. Try The George - it's great.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Motorwaymike
Reviewed 6 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our wedding night over Sat/Sun 19th September. I loved the idea of having themed rooms and was excited about our stay in St Petersburg.

In summary, I would say that we were very happy with the hotel room we stayed at. The room combined elegant chique with top notch designer technology. However, the overall experience of the hotel was severely diminished by the quality of service the hotel provided.

We arrived at our room after 01.00am - having had our bags taken up to our room earlier in the day and we could not be happier with the appearance and feel with the room. However, by the time we had gotten to the room we had already had a few bad experiences associated with the room. The first, I can accept, may be my own fault for booking a hotel in the middle of Edinburgh clubbing district but we definitely felt quite vulnerable walking passed of extremely drunk clubbers cueing up right outside our hotel. The 2nd was that - even though I had explicitly told the hotel what time we were arriving - there was no one there to welcome us through the doors (or even open them for us). How hard can it be for guests to open their own doors? - very hard if one wearing a wedding dress and the other is holding the dress up while struggling through the 2 heavy glass doors to reception. A receptionist managed to upset my wife (unwittingly) on our arrival at the reception desk when we double checked our bags had been placed in our room when he replied "I hope so - otherwise we'll be in trouble".

I feel this underlines one of the major problems with this hotel. Although, we felt our room on the top floor was very chique - the quality of service received by the hotel was very poor. Although receptionists were apparently friendly, it doesn't seem like they have received enough adequate customer communications training to leave any lasting positive impression by the time you have left.

The 4th dent in our perception of the hotel came moments after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The checkout time. Although having checked in at 01.00 in the morning after our wedding day - they wanted us - and all of our bags out of the hotel by 10.00am!! For anyone who habitually worries about being ready to check out in time this meant us being ready for checkout way before this time. On top of this, we were told there was a room where we could store our luggage after checking out (while we were meeting up with our parents in their cafe) only to find that they meant the corner of the reception foyer.

Thankfully, there were no problems at checkout as I had paid for the room months before we stayed there - despite being told initially by one of their staff, when I initially booked, that I couldn't pay for the room immediately after booking. However, it typified our experience of the hotel to find that the hotel reception staff could not tell us exactly where the airport bus stop was on George Street - despite it actually being a few steps from the hotel doors.

It is a great shame that the lovely hotel rooms (I cannot speak on behalf of the reviewers who would disagree with the quality of the rooms as St Pet. was fantastic) is let down so badly by the overall hotel experience.

It seems as though LeMonde concentrate a lot more of their effort on managing their bar/club than they do the subsidiary hotel. A real shame!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HughpsD
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I wanted to stay in the middle of town for a change, but should have stopped to consider that this hotel is surrounded by clubs - one in the basement and one next door. The continual boom of music was extremely annoying. Not to mention the fact it is also in need of sound proofing - you can hear your neighbours walk across their floors. There was a room party next door to me which eventually stopped at 3 am. My problem is with the the way the staff handled it - or in this case - didn't.

I also expect 5 star hotels to be immaculate and this hotel is not. I would say it's a good 4*. It desperately needs some love and attention as it's a bit tired ie scratched paintwork in the halls; chewing gum in the carpet in the lift; ripped carpeting; a leaky shower and no door on the toilet - not terribly pleasant when someone does something smelly.

Having said all that I stayed in Sydney (a suite) and the room is spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful - even with the leaky shower.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2009

In the very heart of Edimburgh, a part of "The World" ..for a fabulous and unforgettable stay in a Best in Class Tokyo Atmosphere with very nive Bed & Bathroom. Everything was perfect & fully enjoyed. It was more than just Fantastic !!! Merci...

A 4 S