“One Night in (a Mostly Pleasant) Paris.”

Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #77 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I booked the Paris room for a Sunday night in Edinburgh with my husband for the £109 room only rate as advertised on the website. Check-in was easy and the staff were professional and friendly. The first impression on exiting the lift on our floor was horrific - there were bags of rubbish and cleaning equipment strewn throughout the whole corridor and right outside our room door (see my photos), not exactly welcoming or befitting of a professed "Four-Star Luxury Hotel". For the first half hour of our stay, there was a very loud group of people standing right outside our door talking incessantly. Also, the room was in darkness when we entered, and the instructions on how to use the light pad are written on the room key, so that was a little awkward! The other negative bits - the fixtures in the bath were broken and seemed like it would be pretty easy to fix. Also, the bath is seperate to the toilet/ sink, which had no soap or handwash in it. We had to ask for this at reception and they went out and bought a bar of Dove soap and brought it to us. The mini bar had nothing in it but a single bottle of sparkling water, a bit odd! The actual room was nice, clean and spacious, with high Georgian ceilings and huge bay windows. My husband remarked that he thought the vintage style furniture looked a bit cheap, but I thought it looked very authentic so I guess it's down to personal opinion! It was a nice touch to be able to call room service and have them deliver juice in the middle of the night when we got thirsty! We found the room to be very quiet and had a good sleep, no noise from surrounding bars... but it was Sundat nght! Also, was pleased to be offered a complimentary late check-out and it was great that we were able to leave our luggage at reception for a few hours after we checked out. All in all, a pleasant stay, but Le Monde should really address the little things that would distinguish the hotel from a facade of luxury to a true four-star experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 December 2010

Went with three girlfriends to celebrate a friends special birthday. Had saved all year for it and spotted le monde on a website. Looked chic and impressive - and as we wanted all to share accomodation the idea of the New York Suite was perfect. In reality the hotel was badly in need of a makeover. Nice concept but lack of upkeep - shabby hall - stair carpets were dirty and a bit worn and lots of junk lying at the bottom of the stairs which looked as though it had been there a while ! Unimpressive staff - too young and seemed inexperienced. Toilet was dirty when we arrived - one of the beds broken and although the room was large and ideal for our needs - floor was scraped as was the table and skirtings scraped and worn. Entrance to the hotel again looked tired - for the expensive price tag to stay - should have been top notch !! Breakfast served in the bar area - not ideal again and very slow.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank angtracey
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Le Monde is beautifully marketed. It's sleek website and oozes luxury and elegance. in reality this is a budget, city centre hotel, masquerading behind good design., poorly executed. We arrived in early evening at an understated reception full of promotional equipment for use in the bar. We stayed in New York, at our own request, although no help was offered with our bags. Despite its self-professed design credentials, there was no ipod dock in the room, and the exposed brickwork is which defines the room is merely a façade. Nowhere does the website mention that all of this side of the hotel looks out over a nightclub which plays music very loudly until 3am, and that the inadequate curtains do not prevent the neon lights of the club shining in all night. On our first night, we were kept awake by drunken clubbers doing what clubbers do. On our second, we had just got to sleep in the early hours when a drunken couple from the club were let into our room by the staff. We left in the middle of the night without any form of apology.
I could go on about poor quality fittings and poor maintenance of windows, curtains and furniture. The food was poor and the staff surly but if you have read this far, then you will know not to book this hotel unless you are planning to go clubbing yourself. In which case, these details may not be as important to you as they were to us.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tradingnation
NicholaJohnston, Manager at Le Monde Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2010

Dear tradingnation,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay, I am sorry to hear Le Monde did not meet with your expectations. I find it out of the ordinary that you were not offered help with your bags, as our reception team do endeavour to ask this upon each and every check in. We are currently looking into installing IPod docks in our rooms, so I thank you for this suggestion. With regards to the intrusion you experienced I can only apologise as this was an honest mistake made by a member of our staff, which has not happened previously and will not occur in the future. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.

Kind Regards
Nichola Johnston
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 November 2010

le monde edinburgh stayed for my wifes 40th birthday.

I have stayed at the mal, Do Vin & the Glasshouse all in edinburgh and all above this hotel by a country mile.

Arrived at 3.15 after bad weather and our room wasnt even ready.
The room was dirty no mini bar the fridge was completely empty all but 1 bottle of water.

Lamp shade hanging off the lamp broken and fixed with tape.

Marks all over the walls & sofa .

Their are far better hotels to stay in search them before bookin hear a handy amn wouldnt go wrong at this hotel.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I had been planning a trip to Edinburgh for quite a while, and after lots and lots of searching for a great deal on a Top Hotel, I found that " Le Monde " were running a special offer Sun - Thurs, room only.
As I was travelling alone, I was looking for somewhere that would be really welcoming, as well as stylish and exclusive.
I opted for a Junior Suite as I wanted space to relax, rest and chill out, and chose the NEW YORK suite, as from the pictures online, it appealed to me.
The room itself is huge, with a luxurious bed, a great parquet floor, very stylish leather sofas, and a nice big TV / DVD player.
There is also free WiFi available.
The en suite bathroom is separated from the main part of the room by opaque glass, leading to a nice big walk in double shower, w/c and basin. All were spotlessly clean, and the L'Occitane toiletries were great too.
I found the Staff to be exceptionally helpful, friendly, and very knowledgeable when I had any questions that required answering.
Unfortunately on the first night ( I stayed 2 ) the curtain rail fell down in my room, I called reception, who came up straight away, and we managed to temporarily repair it, and they made a note to get it properly repaired the next day.
The next day upon my return after a morning out and about, i was informed that the hotel were unable to reach the Maintenance company, and offered me the option of changing to a room of my choice from what was available, or I could wait and see if they could get the issue fixed later on, I opted to change rooms, as I wanted to chance to try out a " different city "
After seeing a few available rooms, I opted to move into Reykjavik for the night, at a discounted rate.
Once again, a spotless room, fantastic Decor, and perfect for me. I actually preferred the slightly smaller sized room, and would opt for it again in future.
The Hotel has an array of dining options, that I didn't try out this time as I was up and out early with things to do and see, and mainly ate out and about, though on a return visit, I would ensure that I ate at the hotel at some point. The hotel also has a couple of bars, and a Nightclub in the basement. I went in for a while on my second night, and it was lively, yet relaxed.
All in all, I would personally say that " Le Monde " was a hotel that ticks all the boxes.
It is very stylish, exclusive and luxurious, while still being friendly and welcoming.
Its ideally located for shopping and sightseeing, with bars, clubs and restaurants close by too.
I will definitely be recommending a stay there to my friends, and hope to return myself on my next visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Having organised a surprise birthday party with 40 guests I needed a hotel that had it all - bar, restaurant, nightclub and rooms, and that could cope with such a large number. I was not disappointed from the roped off area of the bar for welcome drinks, to getting all our food out at the same time, to VIP entry into the club below, Le Monde was the perfect location. The staff we welcoming, accommodating and extremely friendly - nothing was too much trouble, even after the drinks had kicked in and we were beginning to slur our requests - just a little! Everthing was thought about and everything went swimmingly. The bedrooms were roomy and comfortable with modern decor and an had an amazing shower and well worth the slightly expensive price tag. I will be going back and I know at least two members of our party who have already booked a return trip.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 11 November 2010

La Monde is great fun - rooms are themed and very comfortable, big two person baths, comfy bed, big tv, cool decor, fridge etc. Staff were attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple