“Fantastic & Quirky; Great place to eat”
Review of The Flying Dog

The Flying Dog
Ranked #968 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After eating here, i have added The Flying Dog to my list of favourite places in Edinburgh to eat/drink in and is one i will most certainly be introducing my friends to as well.

I had not heard of The Flying Dog, i discovered it by driving down Henderson Street looking for a place to park and the name drew my attention! Then i saw the menu board!
My friend and i were very impressed by the layout of the restaurant, it has a quirky American style with the decor following suit and accompanies by a great selection of beers too! We were greeted by a member of staff who was welcoming, polite and friendly and brought us across the menu and took our drinks order. She gave us some recommendations on what to eat, the choice of hot dogs was proving difficult for my friend as he decided he wanted to try them all but settled for the Lazy Dog option whilst i ordered the Free Range sandwich.

We didnt have to wait long for out food to be brought out, it was delicious! I must admit i wish i got a hot dog over my sandwich; there was nothing wrong with my sandwich but my friends hot dog looked mouth watering! We also had a side of chips as well.

Overall this is a great restaurant / bar area and ideal for lunch, brunch and dinner. Great selection of beers, menu is suited perfectly for the style of the restaurant, staff are friendly and welcoming. The prices are spot on as well.

Will be returning very soon to introduce many more friends to The Flying Dog!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Decided to take a trip down memory lane to view the various restaurants and pubs had a quick glass of wine in one on the shore but we found the prices very high so quickly moved on. Walked a short distance to Henderson Street and had the best Hot Dog I have ever tasted served in a Gluten free bun served with onions. I chose a yummie pink sauce and a few chips (French fries) meant to eat only a few but they were so good I ate the lot dipped into my sauce will definitely be going back for more of the same. A good selection of wines all affordable and a really smashing Prosecco.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

What a fantastic place! Posh hot dogs and delicious open sandwich selection ,with some tasty side dishes! Great selection of beers to go with your meal! We went to the flying dog after checking out trip advisor for somewhere to eat with our boys! Greeted by viv who explained a few menu options and was friendly and kind! Really delicious meal followed by scrumptious puddings! Excellent value for good fresh food! If you are in Edinburgh , check this gem out! You won't be disappointed!!

2  Thank Claire C
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Posh hotdogs washed down with a well thought out selection of beers! What's not to love!
I'll never look at a cinema hot dog again after eating here.
The hot dogs come with a zillion choices of toppings and comes wrapped in an awesome bun from the delicious Manna House Bakery.
The setting was well thought out and quirky with a hostess who could not be more attentive. When my husband said he liked spicy food she went to the kitchen and came back with a bottle of hot sauce she'd brought back from America. Nice friendly personal touch you don't often find in Edinburgh!

1  Thank Edinburgh0303
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Tuesday lunchtime and was surprised that the place was fairly busy. The gourmet hotdogs were very good, with generous toppings. Had chips on the side, and was surprised by the portion size (more than generous). Service was second to none. A welcome addition to an area of Leith sadly lacking in good food places. We'll definitely be back and will be telling friends to go along and try some dogs too!

2  Thank SherylRussell