“Excellent value and good location”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 October 2013

There was a large group of us so this location was ideal with single ensuite rooms. Location is good in the west end close to Haymarket Railway Station (10 minutes walk). Rooms are modern and clean. Although they are on the small side it was good having the communual room. Would recommend this for as a base if visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm not so sure you are thinking of the right place though. We are based in Old town which is the other side of the city to Haymarket. Regardless I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh and hope to have you back again,

Thanks,

Anne,

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Well i traveled here November 2010! it was amazing! went on a college trip and got to admit this is really good for young and lively! The bar was really good, rooms a bit small but that;s everything we needed it for ;)

Great location and facilities was very good. Only bad thing was the stair being narrow and only one lift but most hotels are like that

Room Tip: top floor so if banging reception won't here you hahah
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Hi There,

Thank you for remembering to review Smart City Hostel, We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you made good use of our bar, we hope you will stay with us again (though maybe without banging this time!)

Cheers

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here with my two sons. The location was great, close to the castle and train station. It was a bit hot in the room, so we had to leave the window open for air, which meant we also got a lot of noise from the street. However, it is a hostel, so I didn't really expect it to be quiet. My boys are 11 and 12, so it was great to be able to stay in a private family room with a shower. Beds were clean and comfortable enough, but the carpets could use replacing, or at the very least a good cleaning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Hi There,

Thank you for staying at Smart City Hostel, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologize about the noise, unfortunately being a city centre location we sometimes have noise from outside the building We are currently in the process of replacing all of our carpets with hard wood flooring so hopefully if you visit us again you will be staying in a newly refurbed room,

Thanks ,

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hostel is conveniently located to the Royal Mile. The castle is within easy walking distance.
Our room was a double ensuite. Clean enough. Smelled of bleach. Sheets, blankets, towels, soap and conditioner were included. Our room also had a hair dryer. I learned other rooms did not so do not expect one.
An English breakfast of eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, beans, haggis, and of course cereal, juice and coffee.
Our room was above the bar so the noise level was a bit high but the wifi reception there was very good.
I found the staff to be helpful.
I was grateful for the lift as I have learned to not expect one.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Hi There,

Thank you so much for the nice review of our hostel, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We only have hairdryers on our female floor but we do have plenty at reception to borrow. I hope you got to visit the beautiful castle while you stayed with us, we hope to see you again,

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Getting to the Smart City Hostel by public transport from the Edinburgh Airport is a little bit of a hassle if you are traveling with luggage. It is a 30 minute bus ride followed by a 20 minute walk, in some parts hilly. We found some of the people at the front desk to be disappointingly unhelpful. The lines to check in, ask questions, resolve conflicts were a little bit long and the general advice was sub-par...not the most welcoming of experiences :/ However- we did arrive during the enormously popular Fringe festival when the city’s population tripled. Also, the people that stay at Smart City are diverse in age, background and adventurous calling. This makes for a pretty fun crew to tackle the City's awesome atmosphere. The hostel is in a great location to explore Edinburgh's night life as well as an easy walk to the Castle and the historic strip. Since rain can strike Edinburgh in the blink of an eye, the hostel also offers a nice stay-in option. There is a nice cafe in the hostel (I believe there's no wi-fi there) and the breakfast is a great bang for the buck (though price is not included in hostel booking fees, I believe it is around 5 pounds for 5 items). Would suggest the Smart City Hostel for its location and price but make sure to come well-prepared with your plans.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. I'm sorry it took awhile to get here. The train station (where the air coach) stops is just a 10 minute walk from here but I guess when you're new to the city it can take awhile to get your bearings, also I am very sorry you did not receive a warm welcome, we aim to give all of our guests a warm welcome and provide a friendly service throughout their stay, if perhaps you arrived at a busy time this may account for a more rushed welcome but should not have impacted your stay.

I am glad you enjoyed the hostel, we do have a very diverse customer base and we love having a great mix to keep the hostel buzzing. Also thank you for recommending BAR50 I'm glad you made use of it and we now have wifi throughout the entire building including the bar. I hope we will see you again in the future,

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Very clean (especially when comparing to the other hostels in the same street). Equipped with lift which is rare in the Edinburgh. Very convenient for big or heavy luggage.
But the sleep quality is quite poor in this hostel. Firstly it was very noise even in the midnight. Secondly it was really very hot inside the room even it was so cold outside.
Comparing to the other hostels nearby, this hostel is an acceptable choice for it was clean and tidy. But if you are quite concern about the sleeping quality maybe it is not an ideal place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank iceygarfield

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel, We're glad you found the hostel pleasant and clean. We do apologise that you felt it was noisy, unfortunately as we are in such a central location, there can be some noise from outside the building. We do have a 24 hour manned reception and we are always happy to try our best to resolve noise complaints when reported. We hope you will think of us if you are in Edinburgh again.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Yes, it was clean; the showers are nice; the lockers are roomy (but if you forgot your padlock you have to buy one for 2 pounds). I thought this would be a convenient place to stay prior to my morning flight home from Edinburgh airport. Convenient yes, but DO NOT EXPECT TO SLEEP HERE! The noise was exceptional and interminable until after 3 am, leaving me 3 hours to sleep before my 15-hr trip home. Inebriated people coming upstairs from the bar shouting in the hallways, banging on doors...and spilling out into the street,partying, hammering on dumpsters? That's what it sounded like, anyway. Earplugs were useless. The "music" volume in the bar was too high to comfortably eat dinner there--seriously, it hurt my ears. And this was a Thursday night!

I had left some gifts with the front desk to store for me while I traipsed around Scotland, which they mysteriously "lost." To top it all off, I paid extra (I think; haven't got my credit card bill yet) for breakfast, which I didn't get to eat because it wasn't served before I had to leave to catch my airport bus in the morning--a detail I wasn't told about.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. I am so sorry to hear about your poor experience with us. Thursday night we host a pub quiz night for our guests, this will inevitably make the bar a little louder than average. We do have a 24 hour manned reception and if you had reported a noise complaint at reception they would certainly have come to speak to control the noise.

I do apologise about the confusion over breakfast and if you have paid for this I will happily refund your card. I am also very surprised to hear about your missing gifts. I will certainly look in to this. I would appreciate it if you could email me directly with some more information on anne@smartcityhostels.com

Anne ,