“Very impressive, utmost value for money and youth-friendly hostel in a brilliant location”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here as a party of four for one night as we were in the city for a gig. We needed a place to stay literally to sleep in but were so impressed and satisfied with the hostel. We couldn't ask for a better location - right off the Royal Mile and a mere walk from clubs such as Hive etc. The whole feel of the hostel is very funky and modern and we were happy to see it has a bar and other facilities for customers. Our room was great - two sets of bunk beds, substantially spacious, a bathroom and walk in shower. We had one problem in the early hours of the morning when returning from our night out - a group of boys in the room next to us were being annoyingly rowdy. Banging the walls, shouting and coming to our door while we were trying to sleep and at 9am they woke us up by blasting music so loudly. They were around our age (18) and we had been having banter with them but I really felt as if staff should have been more aware of the noise and commotion and checked to see if everything was alright as my concern was for other visitors being disturbed by them as well. At the end of the day we could not have seen the light hearted side and been seriously disturbed by them. All in all I would seriously recommend this hostel to any tourists or young people staying for a few days in the city as I would have happily have stayed longer here if required and would definitely come back. Brilliant value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hostel. We do have a 24 hour reception and we are always happy to help with noise complaints but we can't help if we are not aware so I would say informing reception would be the best move. Still I am glad this did not disturb your stay too much and we hope to have you back again, remember all returning guest until June 2014 receive 10% off their stay!

Thanks a million

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hostel is in an excellent location and right off the Royal Mile. Massive and modern with large dorms. Very clean and with a very large common area including a bar/restaurant. Great for meeting travellers and perfectly central for going out. Friendly staff and I didn't even realise there was a kitchen until seeing the pictures on here! Edinburgh has so much going on though so we didn't spend too much time in the hostel. Felt very safe here, although I think checking people's keycards at night should be a must, as we had an extra girl sleeping on our floor for two nights! Beds were comfy, although the room got very hot at night. I liked the lockable storage lockers for my valuables and everything was very clean. I came back to Edinburgh the following week and although had a great experience here, decided to try a cheaper hostel for my next stay. I saved money, but looking back, I think paying the extra money for this hostel is definitely worth it and next time would return here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I am sorry you didn't realise we had a kitchen, all of our guests are welcome to use this. I am a bit concerned about the 'extra guest' in your room, if you could give me some more information on anne@smartcityhostels.com I can try to get to the bottom of it. If you come back to Edinburgh we hope to have you stay again and remember all returning guests until June 2014 receive 10% off,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The attitudes of security staff and duty managers in this place were terrible, didnt know playing pool was a crime..the hardened bouncers waited till i went to toilet to then tell my partner to stop playing pool as we were drunk..sorry but we were not drunk and your bouncers didnt need to force us out..ie dont lay your hands on me. Then the duty managers both night and day, well there attitudes were totally wrong, basically telling us to pack up and leave without really listening to us, just adament we were drunk..again we were not. As we tried to stand there and have a conversation. Hundreds of French rugby supporters there causing a racket and not one warned that I saw. Place is terrible and very dirty, would sack the managers if that was my business...Would not recommend this place to ANYONE unless you really dont care where you stay. Yes it doesnt cost much but still expect to be treated differently.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi There,

As we have previously discussed we have both got a different version of events of your experience at our hostel. We have a high level of customer service at this hostel as you can see from our reviews. Again I am sorry you felt you did not enjoy your stay which is why we refunded you as requested on departure,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Maybe the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. That's my first thought about the Smartcity Hostel. Of course, you're not in Edinburgh to sleep. This was my first, and hopefully last, hostel stay. The teenagers I was with LOVED it, though. They liked the way the toilet and shower were basically shared space and they could have cared less about the uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ymbl

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel, I'm sorry you felt the bed was uncomfortable but I am glad the teenagers enjoyed it. I would suggest if you come back again you try one of our family rooms which have a double bunk bed, you may find this more comfortable,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank H00ks
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I arrived at this hostel right after New Years. Unforunately, we made an error and arrived at the hostel about 12 hours early. After asking the reception to see if we can check in early, they said that they were out of space for that night (originally booked a 12 bunk room) but they arranged us to stay in an 8 bunk room. We had to pay £39 for the extra night, but it ended up being worth it since we were the only ones in that room for the rest of the stay.

The hostel itself is about a 10 minute walk away from the train station and a second from the Royal Mile. This hostel is also pretty much close to any of the good bars and restaurant close to the Royal Mile. The front desk is 24 hours and pretty darn helpful if you need help getting around in town. They also have some amenities and basic travel stuff that you can buy at a decent price. Like with any other hostels, they also have drinks and snacks you can buy at the reception and lobby.

Hostel itself was a great stay, especially when you have the room to yourself. There's a bar kinda attached to the hostel itself. It's decently priced, but it's a good way to meet new people. The room itself was really clean, but the bed itself weren't made. We had to make the bed ourselves, which was a bit annoying to do but not hard. The room had a shower, toilet, and a toilet and shower combination. They were really clean, high pressure, and plenty of hot water to go around! There were also lockers in the room, which are fairly large and can fit a large backpack easily. Free wifi is available, but you have to log in every two hours. There are also premium wifi, which some reviewers here are getting confused with, is pricey. They also have several computers equipped with webcams. There's also a kitchen for the customers, but I never used it.

My overall impression of this hostel, it's a great one. It's located right by the Royal Mile, close to the rain station, and it's a clean place to stay. The fact that we had the room to ourselves made this place so much better. The staff were great too, they helped us find stuff to do in the area. The whole relogging into the wifi every two hours was a bit annoying, but it's not bad for free. Really can't find anything else to complain about this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tim W
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hi There,

Thank you so much for taking the time to wright such a detailed review of Smart City Hostel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in the future,

Thanks,

Anne

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We were upgraded from an 8 to 6 bed dorm for free which was nice. Breakie was good.

However beds were unmade and without sheets. We had to chase this up with reception. Beds were squeaky and uncomfortable.

Free wifi was a bonus but didn't work on our floor which was annoying

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast with us, we think breakfast is a great way to try haggis while your in Edinburgh. We are sorry your bed was unmade this should have been ready for you on arrival, I am also sorry to hear about the wifi I will pass on this valuable feedback,

Anne