“Great location but quite noisy”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Cork, Ireland
“Great location but quite noisy”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The location of this hostel is perfect, at the center of everything. It felt safe and secure. My room was basic but clean. Had an ensuite which was great. The shower was very nice but when you showered it didn't drain properly into the hole in the floor so the whole bathroom floor was soaked for ages after. The room had a wardrobe and a desk which was handy.
The hostel was really really noisy. I didn't get much sleep while I was here, slamming doors, was over the bar smoking area and people being loud in general.
I didn't find the staff very welcoming.
I had breakfast included and the breakfast was quite nice. I ate on my last night here and it was okay.
Having a private room and breakfast included, it didn't work out that much cheaper than a hotel so I am sorry I did not go for a hotel in the end to be a little more comfortable and get more sleep.
I would only recommend if you are going to Edinburgh purely to party and not sleep!

Pros:
Great location
Clean
Comfortable room
Safe
Nice food

Cons:
Noisy
Unfriendly staff
Shower water going all over bathroom floor

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately as we are such a central location it can be a little louder at night time. I am very sorry to hear you found the staff unfriendly, this is not a common complaint for us. If you have any more information, please email me on anne@smartcityhostels.com

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Great hostel this one, spacious and clean rooms with basic but more than adequate facilities. The large bar and lounge area caters for those who want a quiet corner to relax in or a place to meet others and mingle! The food was good and the atmosphere was very chilled, helped along by friendly staff. I went along as part of a small stag party and it suited us down to the ground - Better than a lot of hotels!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hi There,

Thank you for choosing Smart City Hostel and thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back. Remember if you are coming with a stag party we offer the cheapest rates direct - email groups@smartcityhostels.com.

Lopez Island, Washington
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Party hostel for sure! I stayed for 6 nights, maybe slept 2 hours each night even with good earplugs. Doors slamming all night, band in basement bar playing louder and later than reasonable. Every time I turned my back something was stolen, especially food from the kitchen. The toilets (not sinks) in my dorm room were only cleaned once in 5 days. And most of the staff was plain rude. There are many other hostels nearby this one....go to one of them instead

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review Smart City Hostel. I am sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly on anne@smartcityhostels.com so I can look into this more,

Anne
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here as a party of four for one night as we were in the city for a gig. We needed a place to stay literally to sleep in but were so impressed and satisfied with the hostel. We couldn't ask for a better location - right off the Royal Mile and a mere walk from clubs such as Hive etc. The whole feel of the hostel is very funky and modern and we were happy to see it has a bar and other facilities for customers. Our room was great - two sets of bunk beds, substantially spacious, a bathroom and walk in shower. We had one problem in the early hours of the morning when returning from our night out - a group of boys in the room next to us were being annoyingly rowdy. Banging the walls, shouting and coming to our door while we were trying to sleep and at 9am they woke us up by blasting music so loudly. They were around our age (18) and we had been having banter with them but I really felt as if staff should have been more aware of the noise and commotion and checked to see if everything was alright as my concern was for other visitors being disturbed by them as well. At the end of the day we could not have seen the light hearted side and been seriously disturbed by them. All in all I would seriously recommend this hostel to any tourists or young people staying for a few days in the city as I would have happily have stayed longer here if required and would definitely come back. Brilliant value for money.

• Stayed March 2014
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hostel. We do have a 24 hour reception and we are always happy to help with noise complaints but we can't help if we are not aware so I would say informing reception would be the best move. Still I am glad this did not disturb your stay too much and we hope to have you back again, remember all returning guest until June 2014 receive 10% off their stay!

Thanks a million
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hostel is in an excellent location and right off the Royal Mile. Massive and modern with large dorms. Very clean and with a very large common area including a bar/restaurant. Great for meeting travellers and perfectly central for going out. Friendly staff and I didn't even realise there was a kitchen until seeing the pictures on here! Edinburgh has so much going on though so we didn't spend too much time in the hostel. Felt very safe here, although I think checking people's keycards at night should be a must, as we had an extra girl sleeping on our floor for two nights! Beds were comfy, although the room got very hot at night. I liked the lockable storage lockers for my valuables and everything was very clean. I came back to Edinburgh the following week and although had a great experience here, decided to try a cheaper hostel for my next stay. I saved money, but looking back, I think paying the extra money for this hostel is definitely worth it and next time would return here!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I am sorry you didn't realise we had a kitchen, all of our guests are welcome to use this. I am a bit concerned about the 'extra guest' in your room, if you could give me some more information on anne@smartcityhostels.com I can try to get to the bottom of it. If you come back to Edinburgh we hope to have you stay again and remember all returning guests until June 2014 receive 10% off,

Thanks
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The attitudes of security staff and duty managers in this place were terrible, didnt know playing pool was a crime..the hardened bouncers waited till i went to toilet to then tell my partner to stop playing pool as we were drunk..sorry but we were not drunk and your bouncers didnt need to force us out..ie dont lay your hands on me. Then the duty managers both night and day, well there attitudes were totally wrong, basically telling us to pack up and leave without really listening to us, just adament we were drunk..again we were not. As we tried to stand there and have a conversation. Hundreds of French rugby supporters there causing a racket and not one warned that I saw. Place is terrible and very dirty, would sack the managers if that was my business...Would not recommend this place to ANYONE unless you really dont care where you stay. Yes it doesnt cost much but still expect to be treated differently.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi There,

As we have previously discussed we have both got a different version of events of your experience at our hostel. We have a high level of customer service at this hostel as you can see from our reviews. Again I am sorry you felt you did not enjoy your stay which is why we refunded you as requested on departure,

Texas
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Maybe the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. That's my first thought about the Smartcity Hostel. Of course, you're not in Edinburgh to sleep. This was my first, and hopefully last, hostel stay. The teenagers I was with LOVED it, though. They liked the way the toilet and shower were basically shared space and they could have cared less about the uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ymbl
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel, I'm sorry you felt the bed was uncomfortable but I am glad the teenagers enjoyed it. I would suggest if you come back again you try one of our family rooms which have a double bunk bed, you may find this more comfortable,

Thanks