“Trip to Edinburgh for the bank holiday weekend”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my partner over the May Day bank holiday weekend.
The accommodation was basic but comfortable. We stayed in a private room with twin single beds.
The stag parties that where staying weren't disruptive apart from the noise from the bar.
The only disappointing part of the stay was the group of teenage rugby players who made a lot of noise until security got them to be quiet. The hostel is based just off the Royal Mile by the Castle. The main shops are on Princes Street which is a 5 minute walk away. There is a nice park in the middle of Edinburgh and is an ideal place to sit on a bench with a nice ice cream. The main souvenir shops are on the royal mile and there is a good range of the usual gifts to choose from. It was are first trip to Edinburgh and well worth a visit.
There will be a lot of walking up and down hill involved which you need to think about.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

HI There,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sorry to hear about the rugby group but I am pleased that the night team were able to stop the disruption. We hope to have you back again,

Kind Regards
Anne Sheehan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I enjoyed this hostel, I found friendly, food was good. We went to sleep and eat and therefore the same rooms small we not asked of problems. the big drawback is the noise but we are in a youth hostel and therefore there are many young people and so the noise is, I think, inescapable. My mother tongue is not English, communication was difficult with home people who seek not to make an effort to speak more slowly or simply be nice...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi There.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I am sorry you felt it was difficult to communicate with staff and that it was noisy, as we are a very central location, it can be a little louder by night. We hope to have you back,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here for one night mid week in a shared 6 bed dorm as I had an early morning interview to attend. I was skint and on a serious budget, but £14 for my bed I couldn't argue (they had some for £12 in bigger dorms) and I opted to pay the extra £4 for a cooked breakfast in the morning. I was not disappointed. Excellent location, though it did take me a while to find it as I'm a total tourist when it comes to Edinburgh. The staff were all friendly and very helpful, I hadn't realised I'd booked a top bunk and asked to switch to a lower one as I had to be up early and didn't want to disturb others in the room and this was swiftly amended with no issue. The staff were able to answer any questions I had about directions and where to catch taxis etc, and nothing was too much hassle. The rooms were clean and secure and there were lockers in the room to store things but you needed your own padlock. The reception did sell them, but at £2 for a tiny one that looked quite cheap, you'd be better bringing your own. There were computers available for internet access and free wifi throughout which was a pleasant bonus as most places expect you to pay. I ate in the hostel bar in the evening and it was good wholesome pub grub at reasonable prices. I thought the drinks were a little pricey but that's probably just the student in me as nothing was outlandishly expensive, it was just more than my tiny budget could afford. I also had a cooked breakfast in the morning which was excellent, you could pick any five items for your £4 and i could only fit 4 on my plate! The only criticism I have is that when I called ahead and asked about times for breakfast (as I had to be out quite early) I was told 7.30am on the phone but it was actually 8am for hot breakfasts. There were cold breakfast available from 7.30 but being skint and having already paid for a hot one I stuck about and didn't regret it. Overall a good experience, great value for money and I'd definitely recommend it and I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Smart City Hostel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and would love to have you back again.

Thanks

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a private room in this hostel.

More like a large hotel, however rooms were average and more like a hospital room without a tv.

Wouldn't let us check in until after 3pm, despite telling us the room was empty and ready, stating that 'it was policy'.

Bit of noise in rooms from bar downstairs.

Nice enough, but overpriced for what it was.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi There,

Thanks for taking time to review our hostel. I am sorry to hear you found your stay noisey. We do normally allow check in when the rooms are ready, I'm not sure why you would have not been allowed access to the room, but we are currently in the process of training our seasonal staff so it may have been something a newer person on the desk was not sure of. We agree that the rooms can feel a bit bare which is why we are in the process of decorating and hopefully adding a more personal touch to the whole building,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Staff was excellent. Room was clean. The shower was huge and clean. Just off the Royal Mile. My first Hostel ever. We had 4 adults. Two bunk beds. Stayed two nights here. Free wifi is only for a little browsing and basic email. Better than I expected. The staff was very nice. Always greeted us when we came back at night. Very knowledgable about local restaurants etc. to the staff keep it up. That makes such a difference when you are nice. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room had just a skylight. We just needed a bed so it was fine. Not sure if there are other optio...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hi There,

Thank you so much for taking the time for leaving us such a great review. We are so glad we had you stay with us and hope to have you back again,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The location of this hostel is perfect, at the center of everything. It felt safe and secure. My room was basic but clean. Had an ensuite which was great. The shower was very nice but when you showered it didn't drain properly into the hole in the floor so the whole bathroom floor was soaked for ages after. The room had a wardrobe and a desk which was handy.
The hostel was really really noisy. I didn't get much sleep while I was here, slamming doors, was over the bar smoking area and people being loud in general.
I didn't find the staff very welcoming.
I had breakfast included and the breakfast was quite nice. I ate on my last night here and it was okay.
Having a private room and breakfast included, it didn't work out that much cheaper than a hotel so I am sorry I did not go for a hotel in the end to be a little more comfortable and get more sleep.
I would only recommend if you are going to Edinburgh purely to party and not sleep!

Pros:
Great location
Clean
Comfortable room
Safe
Nice food

Cons:
Noisy
Unfriendly staff
Shower water going all over bathroom floor

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Unfortunately as we are such a central location it can be a little louder at night time. I am very sorry to hear you found the staff unfriendly, this is not a common complaint for us. If you have any more information, please email me on anne@smartcityhostels.com

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Great hostel this one, spacious and clean rooms with basic but more than adequate facilities. The large bar and lounge area caters for those who want a quiet corner to relax in or a place to meet others and mingle! The food was good and the atmosphere was very chilled, helped along by friendly staff. I went along as part of a small stag party and it suited us down to the ground - Better than a lot of hotels!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
EdinburghSmart_city, Front Office Manager at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Hi There,

Thank you for choosing Smart City Hostel and thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back. Remember if you are coming with a stag party we offer the cheapest rates direct - email groups@smartcityhostels.com.

Anne@sch