“Fantastic Location”

Safestay Edinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Fantastic location, right in between the royal mile and grassmarket street where some great pubs are located. Easy ten min walk to Waverley Station for airlink buses.

The hostel itself was really big, bit confusing to get to the room at first! Big bar underneath which was packed and had a good atmosphere.

I stayed in a 8 bed mixed dorm, which was actually split so once the door was closed it was only 4 beds which was perfect, good sized lockers as well. Only criticism I have is the service, I arrived and the girl at reception sent me to the wrong room and was not apologetic when I went to double check. Was given linen for the beds but had to strip the linen from the person before me, stayed in a lot of hostels and never had to get rid of someone else's linen before.
Overall though excellent location, rooms were clean and quiet and I'd probably stay here again for the location.

• Stayed August 2014
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thanks for your review.

We are glad you had a good time with us.

We are stunned to hear you had to change the linen on your bed. It's possible there was confusion at reception and the bed was in fact already made up for arrival ie you didn't actually need the linen pack. Either way, we are very sorry this was the case.

We hope you visit again soon

Jayne @ SCH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This hostel is ideally located: small street linked to the Royal Mile.
The price are interesting.
However, if you want a quiet place, avoid to come here! The hostel has more than 600 beds, and a bar/restaurant on the ground floor. My room was on the 1st floor with windows on the terrace... So noisy.
I am divided about the question on property. I arrived on Sunday night (the room was full, 8 beds) and the place quite dirty. The second night, I was alone in the same big room and it was all clean.
Some lockers in the room were broken.
2 showers and 2 WC in the room: very good.

Towel for the shower supplied for each host: good.

The kitchen for the hosts is in the bar and it is quite small (especially when you think about the 600 beds...).

Thanks for your review.

You stayed with us at our busiest time of year, therefore prices to reflect other hostels in Edinburgh and the industry norm, are higher than low season.

Unfortunately, when you stay in a shared dorm, we can;t control the hygiene and cleanliness of others in the room.

Most of our guests eat from our bar, and not the guest kitchen, so ordinarily, the guest kitchen is of a sufficient size.

Please email me on jayne@smartcityhostels.com and let me know which room you were staying in so we can fix the lockers.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

13 of us stayed for a hen party.
Ideal location.
Rooms are small but are ideal for one night stay and clean.
Staff are very helpful.
Only downside is the luggage room. This is a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone can access your bag and can get into it or remove it. It is full and luggage is dumped anywhere inside it with very little organisation and very unsafe.
Would use the hostel again due to the very good price and location.

Stayed July 2014
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thanks very much for taking the time to review us.

We are really glad you had a good time with us.

You can keep your luggage in our fully secure locker facility, but I think you guys opted for the free facility where luggage keys are cut at reception and handed back to reception. You stayed peak season too when the luggage store is really busy.

Jayne
Sales Manager
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in a twin room for 3 nights over the first weekend of the fringe. The hostel has an excellent location right in the centre of the old town - excellent for the various Fringe venues and the Royal Mile.

Our room was located near to the bar/ restaurant and so could be a little noisy at times but no greater than a lot of hotels in a city centre location. The room and en-suite was clean and comfortable although a shower cubicle instead of a shower within a wet room would be a welcome improvement.

Free WiFi was provided in the rooms although service could be painfully slow. Alternatively computers with web access are provided in the reception for a fee. Free luggage storage and paid luggage lockers were available.

Service was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We are really glad you had a good time with us.

The free wifi has now been fixed by an engineer so the connection is much faster - we are sorry this wasn't the case when you stayed.

Hope to see you again soon!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

the location of this hostels is good, and it's very close to the royal mile; Before checking this hostel, al is well and acceptable. However, the most important thing I need to complain is that I lost my luggage in this hostels. left my luggage in their luggage room when I check out, however ,when I returned to collect my luggage, it just disappeared. They just can't find my luggage anymore. Although the staff did try their best to find my luggage ,even watched the CCTV, however, lost my luggage in their hostels really brought terrible impression for their hostels, also, it really destroyed my perfect travel. honestly, I would not recommend people to stay there, or at least please keep your eyes on your luggage. especially when you leave it into their shared luggage room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thanks for reviewing us.

As I said on Feefo, we are so sorry this happened on your stay. Nothing else was taken from the luggage storage - perhaps someone got their bag mixed up with your bag and took it by accident. It's not something that is common here at the hostel.

We are really very sorry that it ruined your stay.

If you come back to Edinburgh to stay with us, please email me directly (Jayne@smartcityhostels.com) and I will ensure we pay for your bags to be kept in our secure locker facility that normally you'd pay for.

Jayne
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Even in the sixth floor, very noisy at night . The WIFI is not available in the room.
In the way from train station to hostel, people must to through a long staircase.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
EdinburghSmart_city, Director of Sales at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thanks for your review.

You stayed with us at our busiest time of year - the festival in Edinburgh. The city is buzzing all day and night and our bar will generally be louder at this time of year too. Reception would have been happy to move you rooms if you'd asked when you were with us and it was possible for us to do that. We do try to keep all in house noise to a minimum.

The free wifi was fixed at the end of last week. It should now be much stronger throughout the building. We are sorry this wasn't the case when you stayed.

Cheers,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a hostel but they do have private rooms with en-suites, which I was very grateful for as I do not share well. Very clean, too, which is a plus. The Grove Street location is a little off the beaten path in New Town Edinburgh but extremely walkable to the city center, especially once you figure out the shortcut through Princes' Street Gardens! Edinburgh is a very wired city, but I had absolutely no connection in my room. I never got around to asking about wi-fi at the front desk so I'm not sure if the hostel had wi-fi or not but all I really had to do was take a couple minutes once I went outside to pick up the city network and do my thing. The room rate seemed a little high for a "hostel", but it could be because I was there during two major tourism events. I will definitely remember Smart for my next trip.

Thanks for your review.

Not sure if it's meant for Smart City Hostels (hostel on Blackfriars Street just off the royal mile) or Smart@iQ on Grove Street nearer Haymarket - Smart@iQ is our seasonal property open in July and August only and is student accommodation the rest of the year round. Either way, both have private rooms and every room is en-suite, so can't work out which you mean!

We are glad you had a great time with us and look forward to seeing you again soon

Cheers,