“My saviour after one night in a terrible hostel up the street”
Review of Safestay Edinburgh

Safestay Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I lied about my date of stay. It was actually April 2007 but I had such a good experience at this hostel that I feel compelled to share it years later.

While visiting Scotland on a solo trip, I found consistently strong reviews for a long-standing backpacker hostel in the heart of Edinburgh. After checking in and spending one night there, I knew I absolutely could not stay again. Every bad experience was had and I was left tired, grungy and feeling distraught.

While exploring around the city, I happened across what was then the newly-opened Smart City Hostel. What a perfect experience. The entire building from lobby to room to bedroom was spotless and well-lit, the eating facilities were nice, clean and bright, the staff were all very friendly, decor was modern and well-kept, there was an elevator (!) and I ended up with a 5-person room to myself for a silent night's sleep.

Granted, things may have changed over the past 3 years, but this was hands-down the best hostel experience I've ever had. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 30 September 2010

The hostel has a bar in the middle of a u shaped building if your unlucky enough to get a room on the inside because the smoking area is there very loud and fire doors kept open so bar noise can also be heard, if u shut ur window then less noise but then it's too stuffy to sleep....

• Stayed: August 2010
EdinburghSmart_city, Sales Exec at Safestay Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected.

Please feel free to call me on 0131 524 1989 and maybe we can chat about what we can do to make sure there is no reoccurance of your experience for any other guest.

Feed back is always greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jayne @ Smart City Hostels

Reviewed 30 September 2010

very nice place went there with a stag party, bar was good, breakfast was good staff were very nice and pleasant, bar food was very cheap, only slight downside the sheets where a lilttle bit stained.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I stayed at this hostel for the first time last year on a stag do (shared a big dorm with cousin, family and mates) and was very impressed, especially as I had earlier that year stayed at a not very nice place out near the coast (so nowhere near as convenient).

Popped up to Edinburgh again (on my own this time) in september for a sporting event and thought I'd give it a go again, as I knew the place was nice, and convenient. I'd never stayed at a hostel on my own before and having been there before took some of the mystery out of it.

The hostel common areas and room were very clean, as last time, and the German backpackers I shared the room with were friendly and quiet (thanks SCH ;)

No complaints at all (this time at least) ... amazing location (although, as ever, central can mean noisy outside at night if you sleep with the window open) and, yeah, I'm sure there are cheaper hostels, but this must be up there wi the best of this type of accomodation.

Happy customer

Reviewed 27 September 2010

The will let you drop off your luggage if you arrive earlier than check-in. Very simple and clean room, queen size bunk. The shower and the toilet share the same floor, so we had to watch where we stepped. Hostel is located right by the Starbucks where you can get a free tour of the city.

The staff was very friendly. Most notable would be Dan who works with reservations. The website we booked with made a mistake with the price, and rather than canceling our reservation, Dan was kind enough to give us the 3 person private room for only 81 pence! So, I really can't complain about anything.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

The hostel is very modern and is clean. It's very central, being one avenue from the the Royal Mile. Be careful about bringing your own lock. I brought a combo lock and it was too big for the hole, the hole is only big enough for those cheap luggage locks with the keys. Breakfast is not included, nor is internet, but there are TVs to watch the games and pool tables to shoot a round (I don't know if they are free, actually). A few notes: 1. there is no 'quiet lounge', it's all part of the main room whch can get quite loud. 2. The luggage room is a supply closet that anyone who has put their luggage there can get into. 3. Check out is at 10am, a fact made plain when one of the cleaning ladies entered our room at 10 on the dot. My stay there was very comfortable. However, you will pay for the luxury. This is, by far, the most expensive hostel I have stayed at. As for value for money, I'm still trying to decide. For the price I paid, I was actually considering a hotel because the saving wasn't exactly there.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

In the middle of the city centre, down a side-street from the Royal Mile and 5-6mins walk from Edinburgh Waverley railway station, this hostel is perfect for anyone who doesn't mind sharing a room with strangers =)
The rooms are spacious and every bed has its own large locker with more than enough space for a medium sized suitcase. Towels are even provided!
The pub/restaurant/bar situated on the ground floor is massive, very nice and a great place to hang out and meet other travellers, both residents of this hostel and 'outsiders'.
The staff was friendly and professional, and more than willing to help with directions, bookings and suggestions for bars, restaurants and sights in town.

Hi there,

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Feedback is always great.

We hope to welcome you again into our hostel at some point in the future.

Thanks,