“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We live in Edinburgh and often take advantage of Groupon vouchers to try new restaurants. Some then make it on to our list of places to dine and perhaps take guests. If they don't, we console ourselves with the fact that we had a voucher and it wasn't therefore expensive.
The only list that Daft Jamie's will make is places that we shall never return to. Perhaps one gets poorer treatment with a voucher? If we had not had a voucher, then the meal would have been one of the poorest value meals we have eaten in Edinburgh.
The service was unsmiling and sloppy (e.g. plates from first course left on table when main course was served). The food was mediocre - my fish was overcooked and tasteless and the house wine was disappointingly thin.
We don't have any plans to return and wouldn't recommend it. There are many better places in he city.

jbd150, Manager at Daft Jamie's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Daft Jamie's as a place to eat. We take all of your commments onboard, as a new restaurant it is very important that we get as much feedback as possible. I am extremely sorry that you had a negative experience. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the salmon if only you had let us know at the time we could have replaced it or at least taken it off your bill. We cannot know there is a problem unless we are told about it.

With regards to your comments regarding the wine, "the house wine was dissapointingly thin" We have very serious concerns regarding the use of the word "thin" and we hope you are not iimplyng we dilute our wines? We can assure you with the vast knowledge of out wine supplier that our house wines are to an extremely high standard and one of the most excellent sellings over many years not just in Daft Jamies but other restaurants aswell.

Please contact us so that we can discuss the matter further.

Regards

Stephanie
DAFT JAMIES

There are newer reviews for Daft Jamie's Restaurant

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had my sons Graduation lunch here, the greeting was first class from the waitress, prompt service and very attentive. The food was first class.

1  Thank Gillian C

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments, We are glad we could help make your sons graduation so special.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Stephanie

DAFT JAMIES

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at this restaurant to celebrate a graduation. I can honestly say it's one of the best meals I have had in a very long time. Great service, very friendly staff and amazing food. Perfect combination.

1  Thank vauxhall39
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We arrived at Daft Jamie's on a Thursday night for a girls night meal, we were made to feel very welcome as soon as we walked through the door, our waiter took our drink order whilst we decided what to order and was on hand throughout our meal looking after us even when really busy, my white onion soup for starters was tasty and came beautifully presented, my ribeye steak was out of this world, cooked to perfection, one of if not the best steak I have ever had, so juicy & tender that I didn't want to spoil it with the sauce which I instead used for my chips! I will defiantly return to Daft Jamie's, the place filled up quickly with other diners who all seemed to be enjoying a relaxed meal in a friendly environment with a great sound track playing as background music.

1  Thank Lynseymac99
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were expecting more from a restaurant in the middle of Edinburgh's Touristville. The menu was rather limited although from the descriptions of the dishes, it would have been more at home in Paris than Edinburgh. We were expected to eat our prawn and crab cocktail with a knife and fork despite it being served in a glass, (the accompanying sauce tasted rather like ketchup with some chilli powder). The blackened Orkney salmon was overcooked (perhaps it was the blackening that did it) and a piece so small it must have been embarrassed to be on such a large plate! The steak was reasonable although the pepper sauce was only recognisable as such because it had whole peppers in it.
However the service was generally good although having ordered a glass of white wine, a glass of red arrived. At least there were linen napkins.It was very quiet and reading other reviews, perhaps they only fill the place by offering vouchers. At full price, it is not value for money despite the good central location and we won't be returning.

1  Thank Ewingston