“Extremely disappointing”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I recently came to daft Jamie's for my 50th birthday celebration. The young waitress was very welcoming and polite. She was very attentive and could not do enough for us. On the other hand the owner would not leave us alone. My husband was interested in whisky and was asking the young girl about it but the owner jumped in and was extremely arrogant. He was shouting and would not let us talk. When my husband tried to speak he was told by the owner to shut up!! All the staff looked mortified. The place was clean but nothing special. There were flys everywhere which also put us off. Personally I have not been to a restaurant where the owner has ever spoken to us and Completely ruined our appetite. Very disappointing.

5  Thank Bettyjacksonn

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked into here at 21:00 on a Fringe Sunday. When we arrived the place wan't heaving and we were greeted warmly and offered a choice of tables. Drinks orders were taken and they had some really interesting local beers.

When it came time to place our food order, both my starter and main were sold out. Funnily this was less displeasing than it might have been as it proved that the food was freshly prepared from local ingredients. My second choice was the beautifully presented haggis followed by pan fried trout. The food was attractive to look at and the accompanying vegetables were stunningly presented and obviously cooked to order.

It wasn't haute cuisine - it was good honest fresh food, well presented and tasting of the ingredients. So, not pretentious but warm and welcoming.The service was particularly friendly.

3  Thank Decker
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Food acceptable, however service leaves a lot to be desired. The size of the liqueurs were so small that one sip and it was gone additionally the glasses were wet straight from the dishwasher. Cheese should be serve room at ambient temperature not straight to from the fridge

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Totally enjoyed the food concept of this place. During the day until 4 PM, you have the option of "small bites". They're quite reasonably priced, inventive and well prepared. We shared four and it was just the right amount of food. My wife had a very nice, crisp white wine that recommended by the staff and I had water and a single malt whisky that was being featured that week. That led to an interesting discussion with the very knowledgeable waiter about that particular offering, as well as others in their stock --- many of which are from distilleries that no longer exist. We were so impressed, we actually went back the following day and sat at a table outside overlooking Hunter Square (lots of activity during the Fringe) and enjoyed two new offerings. We considered Daft Jamie's a great, new find.

1  Thank SWN
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The two of us had an enjoyable meal here for the first time. The restaurant offers an imaginative take on Scottish cuisine, with service that is friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The location is fantastic: just off the Royal Mile, you couldn't get more central. The prices were very reasonable, especially in view of the central location. But, as another reviewer has noted, the quantity of food on offer is remarkably small. That may be the fashion nowadays, and it certainly cuts down on waste: but my prawn and crab cocktail contained just four prawns and a teaspoon of crab puree, which wasn't quite what I was expecting. So it's a great place if you want to try some interesting menu items - but not the place if you happen to be very hungry.