“The staff are amazing!”

Salisbury Green Hotel
Ranked #120 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The staff were just incredibly helpful - we arrived at 2.30am as my car had broken down en route and Leon on reception was just amazing. He printed off a list of all the local garages for me, directions for the wedding we were going to the next day, told me the weather forecast and was a generally welcoming person after such an awful journey. In the morning, a lovely guy called Ryan on reception let me use the phone to organise getting my car fixed - even though everyone was checking out and I was completely in the way! Then when I found out I needed to leave my car for an extra day they gave me an extra day on my car pass so I wouldn't have a problem with moving it. So a MASSIVE THANKYOU to Leon and Ryan.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jasminehall

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Before I start there are a few things I would like to point out. These are not bad points but something everyone should be aware of.

1. The hotel is located inside the university campus off holyrood park road. We had problems finding it so did the local pizza hut delivery guy.

2. The reception is located in a different building (Masson House) to the rooms (Salisbury Green Hotel).

3. Late checkout isn't offered.

4. Breakfast room is small and if you've booked during a busy period expect a wait before being seated.

My overall experience of this place was good. I was looking for something not too far from the centre of Edinburgh with car parking space which was very important.

The room was very clean and bathroom was lovely. Shower was amazing (no tub but I'm more of a shower person so it didn't bother me).

I must say it is a bit strange not to have a reception in the same building but its not the end of the world. A short walk and your at Masson House and reception is there.

Staff are generally pleasant but I did feel that the service could have been better. I wanted to throw away pizza boxes and when I asked the staff one response I got was "I don't know what to do". I had to actively ask all the staff in the breakfast room to take the boxes.

It's a three star hotel and that is exactly what you get.

Having said all of the above I would definitely stay here again because it's very affordable, located within a very safe environment and rooms are decorated to a high standard.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank B4tman0
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed at the hotel with my partner for three nights in April. The rooms were excellent quality with all the modern appliances. The bathroom was particularly nice. The hotel itself is (i would guess) late Victorian and the shared spaces had beautifully ornate ceilings and original features. The reception is located 2 mins away in another building and offered the usual services. Entry to the hotel was with your room key card.

Breakfast was one of the best I have experienced. Self service fruits, cereals, pastries etc. with a waitress served full english on request (plus optional haggis).

The location of the hotel was within a university halls of residence, which I think is a plus. Free secure car parking and a quiet location with plenty of trees and green spaces. Walking right from the main entrance you almost immediately hit Holyrood park and a 10 minute walk brings you to the palace and start of the royal mile. Alternatively, walking left from main entrance takes you to the main street that hits halfway down the royal mile. So location is convenient. No need to get a taxi or bus as other reviews state.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Love it! I wanted somewhere convenient for the university and was fed up of trying to find a good (and affordable) B&B that had vacancies.

Mammoth breakfast - can be worked of climbing all the stairs!

Only a couple of downs - reception is in a different building so that when you arrive you have to find your way about the Halls of Residence complex and 'wardrobe' in top floor rooms built in under the eaves hasn't enough height to hang anything other than shirts (I would have sacrificed the huge bathroom to have space for a wardrobe)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2010

this is a good place if you have reason to be on the university grounds. However, the rooms are small and clean. nothing special. very dorm like and ordinary. it is not a regular hotel. they have a very small reception area that is staffed by students. they are very helpful and do answer quesitons but if you need/want a conceirge--this is not the place. there is not even a clock in the hotel room. No pens, paper, etc. there was a desk and a place to make coffee/tea. it is a 10 minute walk into downtown, so that is easy...however, there is nothing much close to the hotel. breakfast was very good and the staff was very nice. eat the blue cheese at breakfast. delicious.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2010

The hotel was chosen from the reviews on this site. It was either a mistakes or we just had bad luck.
The hotel is a bit outside city center, and not very convenient located, and apparently not easy to find, even for a cap driver.
The room was far from clean. Spiders web and dust were easy to find.
The toilet had the height for a child, almost at the floor.
The bed was however good and there was no noise what so ever during the night.
After we had got rid of our luggage, we would have likes to ask some staff how to get to city center etc. There were absolut no one in sight, so we had to find out ourselves.
One of the mornings, we had to wait 15 minutes to get into the breakfast room.......not impressive. The staff in the breakfast room were however smiling and polite.
All in all I wouldn´t stay there another time i Edinburgh, it´s just to far from most.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hakaa
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This is a very comfortable "hotel" but does not have a bar and lacks atmosphere. Breakfast is excellent but on our first morning we had to wait 25 mins outside the dining room as it was much too small for the numbers staying. if you want to leave luggage it has to be left at the central reception area which is a walk up a steep hill (in the rain!). Staff are very pleasant. We asked for a view of the crags and didn't get it - I suspect there are few rooms which actually have one as we've not had any sort of view the two times we've stayed. Good location.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple