“ruined our whole weekend”

Salisbury Green Hotel
Ranked #120 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
“ruined our whole weekend”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We booked the salisbury green for our first anniversary, the web site made it look so nice i thought it would be perfect for us. How wrong could i be. When we arrived we were told the hotel was full and that we were being moved to another one called Masson House. What a nightmare, this place is nothing more than student halls of residence, desk,bed and wet room. Breakfast was served in a canteen with hundreds of students and we had to eat off plastic plates. The residents from Salisbury Green also have to eat here. Please don't be fooled by the web site, this place is awful. The only plus side is we have been offered a full refund.

1 Thank skye45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We booked this room under the impression that it was a hotel how wrong could we be.
The reception is in a modern building and the Salsbury Green is an entirely separate building with no reception or staff around it all be it the building is lovely old style mansion.

We paid £85 for a standard double room to be honest a Travelodge has more luxury to it for less money. The room was very small no hairdryer in the room, and as we had a ground floor room where we had to keep the curtains shut due to a main pathway running past our room and shower room windows. On returning from our night out we were made to feel like we had interupted the receptionist and on asking for room service details we were given a sigh and a roll of the eyes.

It had been a long day so we decided to have some room service when we got back to our room. After looking through a moderate range of items on the room service list it took 11 attempts to get an answer at reception. Finally when we did get an answer we gave our order to be told that all they had was bottled water and if we wanted anything else we would have to go to another building on campus - not exactly room service if you ask me!!!

I would not advise or reccommend anyone to go to this hotel unless you are expecting the standards of a self catering campsite in the guise of a hotel. This hotel needs some serious direction not to mention experienced hotel management and staff with an attitude adjustment.

1 Thank AmisMummy09
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was lovely. But the room was very poor. We were on the ground floor with a window about 5 feet off the ground so it was very dark in the room.

Although the entrance to Salisbury green was lovely and warm, the room was cold and the bed uncomfortable. As it was pouring outside we stayed a little longer in the room then we would have liked and could have done without having to make our way to reception when we discovered there was no remote control and spent an age tuning the 3 or 4 channels we could find.

It was cheap and if your intention was to fall in late and leave early the next day, so drunk you wouldn't notice the cold, then this is the place for you. It was clean, quiet and dry with free parking which takes this from a 2 to 3 stars.

Brush Prairie, Washington
Reviewed 17 June 2011

For some Salisbury Green may not be central to downtown Edinburgh, but the scenery with Arthur's Seat right behind it is great. Buses are quick and frequent to get you downtown or cabs are always available near the hotel. The Newmarket area around the hotel has several interesting restaurants within walking distance. There is internet access at the university sign in desk and laundry facilities in the dorm complex. The breakfasts were large with ample choices. Salisbury Green was my college dorm 40 years ago and the management was nice enough to grant my request to stay in my exact dorm room.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The staff were just incredibly helpful - we arrived at 2.30am as my car had broken down en route and Leon on reception was just amazing. He printed off a list of all the local garages for me, directions for the wedding we were going to the next day, told me the weather forecast and was a generally welcoming person after such an awful journey. In the morning, a lovely guy called Ryan on reception let me use the phone to organise getting my car fixed - even though everyone was checking out and I was completely in the way! Then when I found out I needed to leave my car for an extra day they gave me an extra day on my car pass so I wouldn't have a problem with moving it. So a MASSIVE THANKYOU to Leon and Ryan.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jasminehall
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Before I start there are a few things I would like to point out. These are not bad points but something everyone should be aware of.

1. The hotel is located inside the university campus off holyrood park road. We had problems finding it so did the local pizza hut delivery guy.

2. The reception is located in a different building (Masson House) to the rooms (Salisbury Green Hotel).

3. Late checkout isn't offered.

4. Breakfast room is small and if you've booked during a busy period expect a wait before being seated.

My overall experience of this place was good. I was looking for something not too far from the centre of Edinburgh with car parking space which was very important.

The room was very clean and bathroom was lovely. Shower was amazing (no tub but I'm more of a shower person so it didn't bother me).

I must say it is a bit strange not to have a reception in the same building but its not the end of the world. A short walk and your at Masson House and reception is there.

Staff are generally pleasant but I did feel that the service could have been better. I wanted to throw away pizza boxes and when I asked the staff one response I got was "I don't know what to do". I had to actively ask all the staff in the breakfast room to take the boxes.

It's a three star hotel and that is exactly what you get.

Having said all of the above I would definitely stay here again because it's very affordable, located within a very safe environment and rooms are decorated to a high standard.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank B4tman0
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed at the hotel with my partner for three nights in April. The rooms were excellent quality with all the modern appliances. The bathroom was particularly nice. The hotel itself is (i would guess) late Victorian and the shared spaces had beautifully ornate ceilings and original features. The reception is located 2 mins away in another building and offered the usual services. Entry to the hotel was with your room key card.

Breakfast was one of the best I have experienced. Self service fruits, cereals, pastries etc. with a waitress served full english on request (plus optional haggis).

The location of the hotel was within a university halls of residence, which I think is a plus. Free secure car parking and a quiet location with plenty of trees and green spaces. Walking right from the main entrance you almost immediately hit Holyrood park and a 10 minute walk brings you to the palace and start of the royal mile. Alternatively, walking left from main entrance takes you to the main street that hits halfway down the royal mile. So location is convenient. No need to get a taxi or bus as other reviews state.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple