“Would Recommend!”

Ranked #19 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Would Recommend!”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My wife and I had a short weekend break in Edinburgh and stayed at Tigerlily.

We enjoyed every aspect of the weekend, check in, room, meal and the bar area were all absolutely fantastic.

Just wanted to add my support to the hotel, if you are looking for a modern, stylish, welcoming hotel in Edinburgh, Tigerlily would need to be at the top of the list.

Only slight problem was car parking, a few minutes’ walk from nearest overnight car park, unless I missed one closer to the hotel.... Believe the hotel does offer a small discount on nearby parking, but wasn’t informed at time of booking and not sure if it would have made any real difference. Guess not much the hotel can do about this, just a fact of life with most city hotels.

Overall, a fantastic hotel and definitely worth a trip.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
TigerlilyManager, Front Office Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review about us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your very kind comments.
Unfortunately like many city centre hotels we do not have our own car park, and the nearest one to us is on Castle Terrace which is approximately a 5 minute walk away. We used to be able to provide a discount to our guests for parking here, however this discount has recently been stopped by NCP. There is on street parking on George Street which is free overnight and all day on Sundays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Tigerlily is a proper luxury hotel - by which I mean it is genuinely stylishly decorated, the service is impeccable, the breakfasts are fabulous (and you can have them in your room at no crazy extra room service cost) and the beds huge and super-comfy. And you get a bathrobe, which you don't always these days. And there isn't an annoying notice in your room about not washing your towels in order to save the planet, which I always think is just a way for the hotel to cut costs (don't get me wrong, am all for saving of planet, do recycling, don't own a car - I just don't trust a hotel that tries to get out of washing your towels). When we got there on a Saturday the whole hotel seemed to have just checked out so it didn't look like our room would be ready for ages - but they swapped rooms around a bit so we could have ours when we wanted it. Foyer is a bit...hectic. Clearly they're trying to attract a young clientele to the restaurant and bars. But do even 25 year olds want clubbing music at midday? I must ask some. Not to worry though, none of this is to be heard when you get to the peace of your serene and stunningly decorated room. We paid extra for a Luxury room where you get a sofa area and can twiddle your TV around to watch it from either sofa or bed. Nice tea facilities, free fruit and very gorgeous biscuits.
One problem - we didn't get a very good night's sleep, despite the gloriously comfortable and huge bed. because the air conditioning in our room was very noisy and you weren't allowed to open the window - so it's either swelter in airless room or stay awake in cool but noisy room. Apparently there is a law in Scotland that does not permit hotels to open upstairs windows in case people jump out of them. No, really. We were told this by reception when we asked how to open the window. If A/C is going to be the only source of coolth, Tigerlily needs to upgrade theirs to that posh American kind that doesn't make any noise. Oh, and how on earth do you work the lights? It was all very high tech and we couldn't see how to just turn the bathroom ones on without setting all the others blazing, so not great if just one of you needs the loo in the middle of the night. Some lighting instructions in the booklet would be good, we couldn't find any. A technological highlight though - you can plug your own ipod into their stereo, so bring yours!
They made up for the a/c with the most fantastic breakfast brought to our room - I had the vegetarian version of eggs benedict and partner had veggie cooked breakfast. Would recommend they gave you a pot of coffee rather than a cup - not really possible to keep the coffee hot enough between floors in an open cup - but overall it was a really lovely breakfast.

Room Tip: I'd say pay the extra for a Luxury room. I think there were suites too, which I bet are fabulous...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
TigerlilyManager, Front Office Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of Tigerlily. We have made a note of all of your comments and will ensure that they are discussed and improved upon where possible. There are indeed regulations in place which restrict how far the windows can open for health and safety reasons, however I think the receptionist on duty may have got a little confused so we will ensure that they are all briefed again on this matter. We hope to see you again in the future and are glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.
Lomondsmum
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I stayed on a DBB special offer including Bottle of Sparkling wine and handmade chocs. When booking I was given the opportunity to pay a little more to upgrade our room type from a standard to a Georgian Suite. I accepted the offer. When we arrived we were "Wow-ed" by the first impressions of the hotel and from the exceptional welcome from Gordon, the receptionist. After completing the necessary paperwork Gordon personally showed us to our room, which I thought was a lovely gesture. Our room and all its facilities certainly did not disappoint us and I am so glad I paid the extra to upgrade. Our meal was perfect and the waiters service was falutless. I could go on at length about our stay but the best way of judging a hotel and its standards is actually to try it for yourself. Working in the hospitality industry I can be the worlds worst hotel guest however I can honestly say I could not find fault in anything about our stay. My husband and I will be back and probably for longer. Thank you Tigerlily for making our anniversary a special one and one that we will always remember.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will ensure that all of your kind comments are passed onto all of our staff, particuarly Gordon. We hope to see you again soon.
norwich
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Brilliant location for walking around Edinburgh and then returning to the luxury of a fabulous hotel.
Food stunning and bar lively. Beautiful rooms with very comfy beds!
Will certainly go back next time we are in Edinburgh.
Fabulous city break place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as they have a nightclub
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
TigerlilyManager, Front Office Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to Tigerlily soon.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at Tigerlily on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis in a standard double room for a treat. The rooms are spacious and stylish and the bed very comfortable. We had a fantastic dinner in the restaurant where the service was very good.

Room Tip: Tigerlily occasionally offers fantastic room deals on facebook and if you subscribe to their mailing...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, it is lovely to hear such lovely comments made about us. We do reguarly run offers through both Facebook (Tigerlily Edinburgh) and on Twitter (@TigerlilyEdinb) as well as through our website. Keep following us for more offers similar to the one you recently stayed on!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here for two nights and absolutely loved it!
We had the 'Love Package' which included chocolates and a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival. I was expecting a bottle of cheap cava however we were given a bottle of Veuve Cliquot.
The room itself was lovely. The bed was large and amazingly comfy with plenty of pillows! There was a TV at the bottom of the bed which could be swiveled round so you could watch it in bed or in the seating area.
Free bottled water was provided as well as good quality tea and coffee and fruit which was topped up during our stay.
The bathroom was fab! The shower was huge and there were nice fluffy dressing gowns and comfy slippers.
We were able to choose to have 'breakfast in bed' which was lovely. We just had to leave our menu choices outside our room at night and breakfast was delivered at our specified time in the morning! Breakfast was tasty - I recommend the eggs benedict.
A welcome touch was the GHD straighteners and pre loaded ipod.
I also loved the lights that went along the window sill (athough the view wasn't the best!)
Staying in the hotel gives you free entry to Lulu's, the club downstairs. We popped in for a while on our way back from a night out but it was pretty rubbish. Full of old men in suits trying to pull young girls! There are plenty of better places to go in Edinburgh!
All in all we had a lovely weekend in Tigerlily and would love to visit again. It can be pricey though so best as a treat once in a while!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay with us. It is always great to get feedback from all of our guests and aids us in improving our standards of service. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Myself and my husband stayed last Saturday in room 29 (mini suite), it was a suprise for his birthday. The staff from the moment we arrived were absolutely fantastic and made us both feel like VIPs. We were shown to our room and also how to work the lights,temp control,dvd, ipod etc. The room was massive as was the bathroom, the shower was probably the same size as my entire bathroom at home! All the little luxuries you could think of were provided, bathrobes,slippers, deluxe tolietries, GHDs to name a few.

We decided to have our evening meal here and boy we certainly weren't disappointed!! The restaurant was very busy but the service was fantastic, the waitress that looked after us was very attentive and friendly. We had steak that was cooked to perfection and the mini dessert platter which was really delicious, the waitress even remembered we were there for my Husbands birthday and had 'happy birthday' written in chocolate on the plate. The bar is very trendy but certainly not prententious and the cocktails were good. We ordered breakfast in bed the next morning which was very tasty and a real treat. On checking out the two receptionists (sorry didn't catch the names) were really polite. The only downside was having to leave! I hope we can make it back there soon.

Keep up the good work, your staff are a credit to you!

1 Thank Ashlingm
TigerlilyManager, Front Office Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you so much for posting such a lovely review here for us. We are so glad that we managed to make your birthday so special for you, what a lovely surprise to receive from your husband! I will ensure that your kind comments are passed onto all of our staff, it is always such a great morale boost for the team. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Tigerlily again sometime soon.