“class”

Ranked #16 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“class”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Had a great time here, the hotel is great, in a great location and such a good atmosphere. The room was cool, bathroom was modern and classy. The staff are very good, always helpful, booked us a table at a local restaurant as the hotel restaurant was full. The friday night when we arrived, the bar attached had ladies on the door giving chocolates and a chance to get a rose at the bar, which my girlfriend loved. The bar is really cool and always busy, great cocktails as well. If your looking for a hotel thats cool and in a great location, then this is it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Turkish first
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Our stay at the Tigerlily was outstanding in every way! Friendly accommodating staff, excellent meals, and a drop-dead gorgeous junior suite. We will definitely go back to the Tigerlily!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Stayed in the Tigerlilly for just one night and it was fantastic. Hotel was beyond lovely and our room was gorgeous. We stayed in a mini-georgian suite. Was fully kitted out with iPod speakers, plasma TV on the wall, remote control fire place, had the full works.

We stayed on the first floor and had no noise from downstairs bar or nightclub. The bar was nice, bit expensive though.

Will go back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to at least mini georgian suite.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've stayed in Tigerlily numerous times over the past few years as it's always been my first choice when visiting Edinburgh. It's a lovely boutique hotel and in a great location, just near the end of George street and very accessible from Waverly Station.

Happy things -
The rooms are modern and chic and always very clean, you can tell they take a lot of pride in detail and keeping up standards.
Service is impeccable and seem to always be on time. The concierge leads you to your room and instructs you how to use the facilities, lights, air con etc.
There is surprisingly no noise at night time even though there is a busy subterranean night club and bustling bar below you. I have stayed in various rooms around the hotel and never experienced any disturbances.
If you are staying in the hotel you are treated like a VIP with complimentary access to Lulu and the VIP bar with your own table awaiting.
Staff are very friendly and always happy to help.

Sad things -
Getting a table booking at the restaurant can be difficult even if you are staying at the hotel. A few times i have managed to get a reservation but was sat at the worst seat in the house. It's difficult to enjoy your meal when sitting next to a queue of a hundred noisy drunks waiting to be served at the bar.
I organised a late check out for 2pm and the manager came knocking at our door at 12pm telling us we should've checked out and will be charged for an extra night. I explained to her my arrangement, she did apologise but charged us anyways. The charge for another night AND the £50 fee for each night took 9 days to go back into my bank account with no condolences.
Tigerlily is a "Challenge 25" venue which can be a bit of a pest getting ID'd at the door to get into your room. After showing one bouncer my room card he still asked for a form of ID. I didn't mind and understood because the same main door is used to get into the bar and the hotel but it was slightly off putting.

After these disappointing mistakes I think I'll try look for another boutique hotel next time I visit Edinburgh. After all, variation is the spice of life i guess!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The hotel is a chic boutique, and the rooms are wonderful. They were not ready at checkin time, for which the reception staff was apologetic. We went to the bar where it took twenty minutes and 3 requests before someone would serve us. It also took a long time to get a bellman out for the luggage.

Lack of great service at a boutique does not surprise me. But the fact that my room was above an open air night hotel bar/club was. Loud music and talking kept me up most of the night. After a 3rd call another party was at 2 am offered another room. I only called once so no such offer was made. Staff made it clear that this is a frequent occurrence-unacceptable in any hotel, particularly one with such a high rating. If you stay, make sure you are nowhere near the bar/club. The staff did comp us for breakfast, but it doesnt make up for the lack of sleep-and this is a management issue

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Lawrence C
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Wow, this place certainly stands out from the pack - and we've stayed in some pretty good hotels in our time. Don't be put off if you arrive as we did late in the evening when the bar and restaurant are already buzzing and the party's spilled out on to the pavement outside (it was a warm summer evening!). Inside our very spacious and beautifully designed room all was peaceful and the bed was so big and comfortable it was hard to drag ourselvers out of it in the morning. We ate our delicious breakfast downstairs each morning in a rather exotic bedouin-styled booth in the restaurant. Not just your normal breakfast buffet here, but everything cooked freshly to order and a huge selection of dishes. I agree with one reviewer that a pot of coffee would be nicer than individual cups which do tend to cool quite quickly but that's real nit-picking.
We had dinner on our first evening - great food, locally sourced, imaginative menu. I was worried that it would be too noisy but we were tucked away in a corner and had no problems at all. We also had lunch here on our final day and took advantage of the special menu - main course plus a glass of wine, coffee and a chocolate brownie for a tenner. Again, great food and excellent value.
Overall, we were really impressed with the decor, style, service, comfort and friendliness of this hotel. I do think you need to be clear about what you are coming to, so if you want to eat in silence and listen to the tinkling of a grand piano in the lobby, this hotel is not for you!
Any complaints at all? OK just one tiny winge - no towel rails in the bathroom. But everything else was wonderful and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SaraV_10
New York City
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My only regret with regards to our stay at Tigerlily is that it was not long enough. This hotel is simply lovely. The decor is so thought out and interesting. The rooms were great - very clean and well laid out (I appreciated the super sized bathroom). I didn't notice any unreasonable noise that some of the other reviewers have mentioned. Quite the opposite. I found the room to be peaceful and relaxing. The highlight though of this hotel is definitely the staff. They go out of their way to help their guests! We also decided to do the Tigerlily glamour photoshoot which was a nice add on to our trip. Roslyn and the team are just awesome!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends