“karan muir not that impressed”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 May 2012

was really impressed with the hotel when i arrived. The cocktail bar was really impressive. we where told we can check in at 2pm but the rooms where not ready till 3pm. The room was lovely and very clean. had our meal booked in for 8.30pm the service was soo slow. 5 of us sent our main meal back as it was 2 salty and we couldnt eat it .when we complained they came back with this very cheap bottle of fizzy wine which was awful. my friend complained again and they gave us all a free cocktail which was really nice. but they should have asked us if we would have liked another main meal,but they didnt. we got our sweets at 11.45pm which was far 2 late.the breakfast was really nice. when we went 2 check out they asked us 2 pay a service charge which we said we will not pay as the service was soo slow and the main was awful. expained what had happed with the main me\als and all they could say was REALLY WE ARE VERY SORRY. dont think i would go back again. it costs a lot of money and dont think its value for money at all.

Room Tip: we stay in room 10 was really nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Karan M
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

I am very sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations during your recent stay at Tigerlily.

We advertise on our confirmation letter as rooms being available from 2pm. Whilst we always try our utmost to fulfil this, occasionally this is not always possible. On your day of arrival we had the entire hotel checking out in the morning and then checking back in. On these rare occasions we always offer to store luggage and will take a contact number so that we can advise our guests as soon as the room is available in order to avoid any further inconvenience.

We welcome large numbers of diners every day into the hotel and I am pleased to say that complaints are few and far between. So it is a shame you found your miso salmon dish too salty. I have spoken with our restaurant team who have confirmed that a bottle of Prosecco was delivered in the first instance by way of an apology on the evening for the delay in service you experienced. This is a particularly popular choice for many guests but I am sorry that it was not for you. I am glad the complimentary cocktails helped however! I know you also enjoyed your VIP access into our nightclub, Lulu.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have just arrived back from Tigerlily, I can honestly say that i could not fault it, everything was perfect, the room , staff ,decor, food and of course the cocktails.We stayed in room 14 , when we got to the room , the open fire was on and was so welcoming, there was a docking station ( with ipod) mixed music , GHD for Mrs , the bed was luxury, Downstairs the decor is plush , really nice boutique feel to it, the drinks menu is fantastic with a wide range of cocktails ( reasonably priced).Bar staff really friendly. We ate dinner outside the hotel but the food menu looked great, We had breakfast this morning and it was superb, Defo be back soon....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

i was at tigerlily about a week ago with a small group for a meal only.we were all very impeessed with the venue,meal and service.max,our waiter has dedicated an excellent service to us.he took his time for us,making us feel welcome.
thanks,woud surely recommend it

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Lovely looking hotel, but when we arrived rooms were not ready even by 3pm! Dinner started at 9pm, service so slow still waiting for our desserts at 11.45pm! Main was awful, five within our party of eight couldn't eat it! Very disappointed considering i had flown up from London!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here at the end of March/Beginning of April and it was amazing. We booked the Sunday Escape package in a mini Georgian Suite. For what we had it was surprisingly well priced. We ate in the Tigerlily Restaurant and had a delicious meal and then moved over to the bar which had a great atmosphere especially for a Sunday night. If i ever find myself in Edinburgh again i would definitely go back! Thank you Tigerlily

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was my second stay at Tigerlily and it was lovely. The rooms are beautifully decorated and have GHDs and an ipod docking station, robes and slippers which I think are really nice touches.

The only compliant I would have about the room was the noise we were in room number 4 and the noise from the music below was thumping through the room so not the best nights sleep but I would just make sure I would stay on a higher floor the next time like we did previously and didn't hear a thing.

We were there as part of an itison deal which was excellent value for money £145 including a nights stay for 2 people and a 3 course dinner and cocktail, plus breakfast the next day. Usually there is a similiar deal to this on the hotel's website for a Sunday night.

The food was amazing as it always has been the menu has an excellent selection of food, me and my boyfriend both had vietnamese squid and steaks very very good and big portions. The choclate cherry pot pudding is my favourite and I was pleased to see it was still on the menu!

The breakfast we had in our room for no extra charge and was honestly the best breakfast I have ever had! It was eggs benedict with smoked salmon.

The service was good from the moment we arrived till when we left.

I can't wait to come back but to stay on another floor!

Room Tip: Higher floors are much much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shmee682
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was my second time staying in the hotel and we had a wonderful stay. It really is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are incredible. Very luxurious and spacious. We stayed in a junior suite.

Service was excellent and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. I’d e-mailed before arriving asking for early check in and a room on the 3rd floor and the hotel were able to provide both for us which was great.

We also had lunch in the hotel restaurant which was delicious, as was our room service breakfast – although they did forget things like salt, sauce and cutlery meaning the poor member of staff had to make 2 trips each time. A minor issue, but an irritating one.

The only thing that, for me, would really improve a stay in Tigerlily – and the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 - would be a quieter bar for residents. I was there with my mum and it would have been nice to come back from the theatre on a Saturday night and have a couple of cocktails before bed. The bar is lovely but not the type of place you can ever have a quiet drink in, or even get a seat in. We even struggled to find a seat at 5pm on the Saturday before we went out for the evening. I’ve seen a number of reviewers comment on this aspect of their stay and its something that would make a huge difference. I’ve stayed in many excellent hotels – this is the only one with no public space for residents.

Despite that, we have already booked to come back for a weekend as we love the rooms and the location. Staying here you definitely feel spoiled and we’re keen to repeat the experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family