“Absolutely marvellous”

Ranked #16 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Absolutely marvellous”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

My wife and i stayed in Edinburgh very recently and dined at Tigerlily twice. We were very impressed with everything, service, quality of food,ambiance and value, we cant wait to go back in a couple of months time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clive_a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Hi - this was a mail posted to Tigerlily following a recent stay..there was no reply from Tigerlily.

Booked this hotel to celebrate a 30th anniversary. I have to say we have returned feeling somewhat disappointed in the room we were allocated. Room 10 at the the back of the hotel, part of connecting rooms. Firstly this was a twin room which was quite comfortable, however for our special occasion, we wanted have that wow factor. We were not met with rose petals or prosecco as described in the website. We had to ask for this, which really takes the effect away from the experience. We expected a room as seen in the website with rotating tv at thebottom of the bed and a seperate seating area. The tv couldn't rotate as it was against the wall and not positioned at the bottom of the bed... the separate seating area was two jaded seats at the end of the bed. We never did receive the sumptuous chocolates as advertised. My husband did go to reception to say we didn't think this was the right room, and were told it was and it was really our fault for being early that the prosecco was not there. Although these things sound trivial , when it is a special occasion the touches such as a double room and the extras we paid for, really matter. My husband was dissapointed for me. Also the website did state that for the love package it was a 2pm checkout, to be told that it had been changed to 1pm. I do note that has now changed on the website. Having spent a lot of money and time looking for a special occasion it is a shame these details somewhat spoiled the effect. Other than the room we found the hotel really lovely and the staff helpful and it was a shame these small things put a damper on it. I would appreciate this passing to the manager of the hotel.
I await your response

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank triptrip42
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed here earlier this month with my b/f. We stayed in one of the suites and it was just great!
Best mini bar selection I've ever had in a hotel. The bathroom was huge and it had a really powerful shower. The only criticism I have it that the bed - which appeared to be gigantic - was actually just 2 beds pushed together - which was a shame as you keep rolling over the gap.
The restuarant was great! Food was lovely, however I think the waitress was confused about what a margarita was as she ended up bringing us a jar with mint/ ice/ rum and jam - not my normal take on a margarita - but it was nice nonetheless!
Regardless, I would recommend the hotel/ bar and restaurant and will happily return again! :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JS3991_13
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel was booked for me as a surprise for my birthday. Very style conscious with very high standards. Service was good but not intrusive & there is a restaurant table for all hotel guests in the every night despite the queue for tables outside. Cocktails were inspiring & could not be better. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank SarahChilds
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel in August 2012. I totally recommend this hotel -- it is very hip. Our room was #18 and we loved it! (I think it is a junior suite.) We also included the breakfast and we went to the dining room every morning. (We stayed for 4 days during the Fringe Festival). I also recommend the Fringe Festival, the Castle and a trip to St. Andrews. We went to the restaurant on the same side of the street to a restaurant named The Living Room. The 1st night we went there... dinner was perfect and waiters, etc. were great. But, the 2nd time we went there we had a 2 for 1 coupon and we were treated completely opposite. It was terrible service when we had the coupon. We even made reservations and requested a booth days before (same as first visit)...but with the coupon...they put us in the worst area and no booth. Soooo my advice with The Living Room... DON'T HAVE A COUPON! But, Tigerlily... great staff, great breakfast, awesome bars (in Tigerlily) and drinks and close to attractions. Our room was very quiet and enjoyable! I can't wait to go back! Thanks, Tigerlily!

Room Tip: Room # 18 -- very nice and very quiet!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

My husband treated me to a stay here for one night at the start of January as a birthday treat. We enjoy staying in Edinburgh occasionally as a treat and decided to stay here for a change.
The staff were very friendly and helpful when checking in and made us feel welcome during our stay. The hotel is in such a handy location, great for exploring Edinburgh.

Our room was beautifully decorated and spacious, the bathroom was spectacular with a huge bath and a separate shower and a selection of toiletries. We were quite hungry when we arrived so ordered room service which was free for the first order, which was great. The food was delicious and we didn't need to leave our room! The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in - in fact we very nearly slept past check-out in the morning! This meant we didn't opt for breakfast as planned, but would love to taste it next time.

Overall a great, luxurious stay, looking forward to coming back here next time we are in need of a break!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Jean1907
Glasgow
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Tigerlily is a very nice hotel and my overall experience was great. The staff member who dealt with my booking was polite, helpful and professional. The hotel itself is in a good location with all the main shops just a few minutes away. I went to check in about half an hour after the time specified on my booking confirmation but the room wasn't ready. That was a bit annoying, but the reception staff offered to take our luggage and store it if we wanted to wander around the shops or have a drink at the bar until our room was ready. I was told the reception staff would give me a call when my room was ready, but they didn't, so after an hour, I went back to the hotel and thankfully my room was ready. Tigerlily made up for this by delivering a bottle of champagne to my room!
We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was great. My only problem was that we were given a table kind of in the middle of the restaurant with no other diners around us and it felt a bit strange. Breakfast was delivered to our room the next morning for no extra charge. I like that there's a good quality hairdryer, GHDs and an iPod dock - extras like this are very helpful! The bed is huge and I found it very comfortable. Someone else mentioned it, but the TV/remote control didn't work very properly which was a pain but not a huge deal. That said, for the overall quality of the hotel, little annoying things like that should be fixed because they do stand out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple