“Very Enjoyable”

Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
scotland uk
“Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I booked an overnight stay for my husband and I for his birthday. We both love Edinburgh but normally opt for Malmaison. We received a warm welcome on arrival and Ryan quickly showed us to our Mini Georgian Suite. Beautifully decorated, large room, complimented by a inlaid gas fire. Very ambient! In fact, it becomes tempting to remain in the room for the evening. We enjoyed a few aperitifs in the cosy lounge downstairs and were very ably served by an attentive waiter ( I believe his name to be Michael, apologies if i'm wrong) We had dinner reservations at a nearby restaurant, but, as it was such a rotten night weatherwise, and the restuarant at Tigerlily looked inviting and had a good menu, I cancelled our original reservation and booked to eat within the hotel. The meal was very good. I had scallops, which were delicious, and my husband had langoustines for starters. He exclaimed them to be the best he has had. We both had steaks for our main. My was cooked to perfection but husband later said his had been slightly tough. That becomes our fault for not having said at the time, as im sure this would have been remedied. We were served by our initial waiter who was very attentive. And so to bed! The bed was huge and most comfortable, we both had a great sleep. The parking issue was not too bad as we did not check in until 4pm. We opted to keep the car outside the hotel and not move to the nearest NCP. Parking is free overnight so you only pay from 8.30am - 6.30pm. Renewal of the parking fee can be done on your mobile so there is no rushing outside in the morning to replace a ticket! I would definitely stay at Tigerlily again and would recommend to others.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kasimps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I was recently surprised with an over night stay for my 30th birthday at the hotel which i was very excited about as i had heard a few excellent reviews. When we arrived we were unsure where to check in but after asking at the bar we were pointed in the right direction. We knew we couldn't check in till 2, but we arrived about 1:15 and our room wasn't ready so reception checked us in stored our luggage and said they would give us a call when our room would be ready. We took some time to go around Edinburgh but after about 2 hours we still hadn't heard from the hotel so we went back to the hotel to find out. We were shown to our room which was a Luxury Double by Ryan who then showed us around our room.

We then decided to watch some TV but the remote wasn't the easiest to use and only the radio guide was visible.

We were told a turn down service would be in at some point during the evening, i expected this around 8pm not 6:15.

We also decide we wanted to have our breakfast delivered to the room, but again we couldn't find the menu to do so and according to the girl from the turn down service it had been missed out when the room had been made up that day. The following morning we received our breakfast and it was wonderful, but we did feel sorry for the poor waiter who just about slipped on the wooden floor as it was very slippy.

Overall we had a wonderful and relaxing time and would love to go again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was our 4th visit to Tigerlily and was the only place we would stay in Edinburgh as we had such good previous experiences. I arrived before my partner so sat on the sofas to wait for him with a drink. I waited 15 minutes and no one came over to take my order despite another table next to me receiving table service. My partner arrived and we went to check in at 1.57 to be told that check in was 'from' 2pm and our room was not ready. I responded that we would wait the 3 minutes, but was told that check in is from 2pm so that does not mean the room is ready at 2pm - i still do not understand this. I was told that reception would take my number and i would be called when the room was ready. we went to the front bar to have a drink at which point we were ignored by 2 barmen discussing whether they could compete for Barman of the year, so we left for lunch elsewhere. At 3.30pm we returned to reception to see if our room was ready as we had still not been called, to find out that it was ready but no one had bothered to call us. When i expressed my displeasure to the porter he stated that he would ensure that if we charged drinks to the room, some would be complimentary for the poor start we had to our stay, however unsurprisingly upon check out this did not happen and I was beyond complaining at this point. On the Sunday night we sat at the bar for drinks. The bar is in a U shape and we sat on one side, but the staff never seemed to come and check this side with another customer having to direct a barman to us on one occasion and on another when I said something to the barman he said that they were short staffed - there were 2 bar staff and very few customers. The bedroom was a good standard, however the television remote control did not work and paint was peeling on the bathroom ceiling over the shower which i would not expect. Overall very disappointing in comparison to previous visits.

2 Thank Caroline A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

My OH and myself stayed there for two nights recently. The staff were the best bunch I have ever encountered anywhere, friendly, polite, laid back, professional and courteous without a hint of pretension, just the sort of service I like.

The dinner was good, especially considering it was £15 for two courses, although the duck main was a little dry for my taste, but not nearly enough to take away from the meal. The room was beautiful and very clean with everything you'd ever need in a hotel room, and the concierge Ryan was great. We ended up sticking around the hotel bar on both nights such was the excellent atmosphere, where normally we would make a point of heading out of the hotel when away.

Pretty much a faultless stay, absolutely excellent. We wouldn't look anywhere else if and when we go back to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and go for one of the suites, they're spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Good Evening,

I am very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Tigerlily. We pride ourselves on good customer service so it is great to know we have been delivering in this area. I will pass on the good comments to Ryan our concierge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Many thanks,

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Amazing stay with my hubby to be, room lovely, food out of this world and service second to none not sure how anyone could fault it. love love love and hopefully will be back asap.

We had an itison voucher and were treated as though we had paid full price, it really was fab

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review Tigerlily. We are very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The Itison deal has been a great value package and a great way to sample all that Tigerlily has to offer. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and you will be able to see any new offers we have coming up. We look forward to welcoming back in the future.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in January. Not your usual hotel! We booked a standard room which was a big size compared to other standard rooms we have stayed in. Decor was very cool from the reception throughout to the rooms. From walking into the reception mid morning it was buzzing with people. It must be the most busy hotel bar I've seen, and think it is the place to be seen. Overall a very good weekend and a good hotel. Would recommend it to anyone..

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Good evening,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are pleased you appreciated Tigerlily's decor and uniqueness. Tigerlily is a very lively hotel even in January and it is great you managed to enjoy the great atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here back in March 2013 using an ItIsOn DBB deal. Was worth every penny.... we upgraded to stay in the Mini Georgian Suite. From booking up until check out I couldnt fault anything. We had to change our booking details a few times and this was no issue with the guys at reception responding quickly to my emails confirming the changes made. We thought we wouldnt arrive in time to have dinner before our concert so we didnt book a table as decided to skip dinner in place of lunch the next day. We did manage to arrive in time and reception were on the ball ensuring we could fit in dinner before we had to head out for the night. Dinner was amazing!! From odering to delivery service was great. The actual room was gorgeous, the controls for the fire and lights take some time to firgure out but easy enough once a few buttons have been pressed. We had a turn down service for us returning back to our room, it's all these little pieces of attention to detail that matter and why you pay extra for staying in such an amazing hotel.

We've booked again to go for Valentines day again staying in the Mini Georgian Suite, so fingers crossed its just as good at full price!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review to Tigerlily. We are very pleased you enjoyed your Itison deal in the hotel and enjoyed your dinner in the restaurant. The Mini Georgian Suite is very romantic and we are sure you will have an amazing Valentines day.

Many thanks,