“Excellent- late review”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Better late than never, my boyfriend and I stayed here for an overnight on the 19th February. It was a christmas present from my parents for DBB for one night using an itison voucher. Having planned to go into Edinburgh to do some shopping we arrived early to drop off our bags, and luckily for us our room was ready a good few hours before check in time. We were greeted well by all members of staff and were able to check in early. We were shown about the room and how to use the lighting and heating features, which are a lot easier than some reviews make them out to be. We decided to upgrade our room to a luxury double which was well worth the upgrade, the room was huge with more than what was needed for one night. Large double bed, large wardrobe, chest of drawers etc. They even had a DVD player in the room and fully loaded iPod with a variety of songs to play through the docking station.There was a large walk in shower and all robes and towels were provided for you, although I felt these were a little thin and tired they were ideal for one night. There was a mini fridge with various items that had a separate price list, although all the tea and coffee items, bottled water and fruit were complimentary. There was a good hairdryer in the room, there was GHD hair straighteners provided but these were the thin ones for short hair, I take my own everywhere anyway so just incase you have longish thick hair like me they may not be suitable for everyone.

In the evening we had made reservations in the hotel restaurant and received a beautiful 2 course meal, both my boyfriend and I opting for a main and dessert. Both of us had steak which was beautifully cooked and a massive portion. For dessert I had a tart tatin and my boyfriend the chocolate fondant, both were delicious. We then finished our evening in the hotel bar, having amazing cocktails made in front of us. The restaurant was busy although you still had privacy and the bar area was very cosy with couches and a fire.

In the morning we could either have breakfast in bed or go down to the restaurant, we wanted to go down to the restaurant as there was no specific time displayed that breakfast in bed would be brought to the room and didn't want it to arrive too early. Breakfast was cooked to order, as we are a bit picky there was some items neither of us wanted and we noticed that other items were doubled up to make up for this which was a nice touch.

Overall a fantastic and luxurious overnight in the capital city! Will definitely be returning in future. All staff we encountered were professional and very friendly, happy to help for anything. This hotel could easily be classed as a 5 star hotel!

Room Tip: Best cocktails on George Street!
1  Thank ashleymcg91
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you so much for your amazing feedback, we always welcome comments no matter how long ago your stay was. We have had such a great response from our itison offer, they do make great gifts. I will pass on your compliments to the kitchen and bar staff.
We often offer our own special dinner, bed & breakfast packages such as the itison one so keep an eye open for these in the future.
We look forward to having you visit us again.

Tigerlily

Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed over to go and watch the rugby, this is an excellent hotel, the room was amazing, the bar staff were excellent considering how busy it was, being able to have breakfast in your room is another treat, and was superb. We will return.

Room Tip: We had a luxury double on the third floor, room 33, amazing views over the forth.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean M
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your positive comments. We are delighted that you had a great experience at Tigerlily and welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I love heading down to Edinburgh and staying at Tigerlily's. The rooms are fabulously decorated and trendy plus they come with a hairdryer and hair straighteners which for any girl with hair that needs it - this is a major bonus (one less thing to carry in your bag which leave more room for one more pair of shoes!). The bar is cool and hip and the food, when I have eaten there, has always been decent. The atmosphere is fab and I love people watching in this place especially with a glass of fizz in my hand. The staff are always so helpful and friendly! Yes there can be an issue with parking but then it is the centre of Edinburgh and this is not a problem attributable to Tigerlily's - and Castle Terrace Car Park is not too far away. In any event, you are in the centre and can walk just about anywhere!

On this trip we got a free upgrade for which we were most thankful especially since it was a rugby weekend and therefore prices tend to be on the steep side! The room made the cost 'slightly' more bearable.

The room we had was known internally as the 'party room' due to the fact that there are no other rooms backing onto it! This is great as you think you don't have to worry about noise although we were wrong. The room was great - really big and comfortable with lovely sofas and bathroom but the downside is that it is a noisy room. It must be above the bar area and you could hear the noise in the early hours. Thankfully we were out late our selves and this did not bother us. Although, we were given extra guidance (more like tuition) on the electrical panel that operates the lights, etc we were still none the wiser when we came to using it! This is a relatively small issue but it still bugs when you are pressing heaps of buttons in the hope you can turn on the bathroom light!

As for the breakfast, the choice is lovely and they are always willing to help you if you fancy mixing things up a little. Another little gripe of mine is the orange juice on offer in the morning. Now I love a glass or two of fresh orange juice in the morning but I can't even bring myself to drink their orange juice. It tastes like diluting juice or really watered down fresh orange juice. Either way it would be really nice if they got in some proper orange juice.

Having said all of the above would it deter me from staying here again - NO. I will be back and look forward to it. We always look to try and get a larger room with a bit more space and one a little higher up to dampen the noise.

1  Thank cazzaferguson
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. We do apologise for the noise level. Rooms on the first floor will unavoidably be noisier ,especially on Rugby Weekend. We do strive to allocate our guests higher floor rooms, unfortunately on busy weekends this isn't always possible.
I have passed on your feedback regarding the orange juice to our restaurant management.
We are happy that the 'niggles' will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Just back from a nights stay at Tigerlily on George Street,Edinburgh. On arrival we found the lobby bar to be buzzing and it wasn't clear just where to find the hotel reception. A quick word with one of the attentive waitresses later,and we were at the reception desk of this thirty something roomed city centre boutique hotel. The staff proved to be very helpful,warm and professional. This was the case from reception through to dinner to breakfast in bed the next day. The rooms were were far enough from the lively bar and basement club to be suitably quiet and the triple glazing kept the outside noise to a tranquil silence. The room was fantastic-a great mix of solid wood floors, giant bed and designer shower big enough for a netball team! The food at restaurant was excellent...fresh..good selection and nice setting, tucked away from the large bar area where a fine selection of tunes were mashed badly together by a dj that couldnt beat mix. Odd in such a popular bar.

The hotel looks the part.. chic,well equipped and centrally located,and the level of service matched the high class look.

I would definitely recommend and look forward to staying here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nmack75
TigerlilyManager, Manager at Tigerlily Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Tigelily.

We are pleased you enjoyed you recent stay with us. We are a very popular establishment and the bar can be very atmospheric particuarly at weekends. It is always great to hear that our staff are delivering good customer service. I will pass your feedback onto the team.

The food in the restaurant has a great selection of food and has a lovely ambience. Thank you for your comments regarding the DJ. We usually have great feedback from our regular DJ but I will definitely look into further. I am glad you liked the selection of tunes.

Many thanks,

Jodi Primrose
Reception and Revenue Manager

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Tigerlily with my boyfriend. We arrived at the hotel around 11am and aware that check in wasnt until 2pm we were advised that we could leave our bags with them and they would call if the room was available any earlier than 2. We didnt come back to the hotel until around 4, our bags had already been taken up to the room and we were escorted to the room by a member of the hotel staff which I thought was nice :) The room was on the 3rd floor, very spacious, huge TV at the end of the bed that rotated around 360 degrees! The bed was huge and so comfortable, the bathroom was big as well which a massive walk in shower, best shower Ive ever had!
We ordered breakfast in bed all 3 mornings and it always arrived between the times that we specified and it was always hot. We also ate in the restaurant on our last night. We were served by PJ (I think that was his name, he was an American guy) and he was so attentitive and helpful. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was very calm and romantic. We had some drinks in the bar each evening as well, on Friday night and Saturday night it was very busy but provided a great atmophere! The big arm chairs and sofas provided a nice cosy place to have a drink. All of the staff couldnt do enough for us, they were always happy to help and answer and questions that we had. I called reception on the Friday afternoon to ask for recommendations of good resturants in the area and we were given at least 7 or 8 options, the one we chose definatley didnt disappoint as well (Chopraya, Thai restaurant on Castle Street)

Overall a fantastic stay I would definitley return to this hotel.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, no noise at all from the bar/club downstairs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments. It is great that you took the time to leave a review. The waiter you mentioned is DT, he is brilliant, I will be sure to pass on your compliments. Although Tigerlily is a big place, we do strive to make it welcoming and cozy so thank you for highlighting that.
We hope that you return in the near future.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Treated ourselves to a night here in Feb. Beautiful room, nice extras like an ipod & speakers, rotating tv, very comfortable bedding & nice view.

Only downsides were the internet problems. Didn't work the whole time we were there.

Note if you aren't used to spending lots of money on somewhere and decide to come here you do feel a little poor in comparison to the rest of the guests but I got over that feeling quite quickly.

Overall, classy, beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank les_ley964

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do apologise for the problems with the Wifi, we have addressed these technical issues and are in the process of improving our wireless service. We like to consider ourselves as a luxury establishment, but one that lets our differing clienteles feel comfortable, no matter what their budget. I am pleased that we made you feel welcome. We do hope that you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I came here for an overnight stay DBB with my 7yo daughter. The staff couldn't do enough for us. I have stayed here a few times before with just my husband but as its more of a high end hotel i wasn't sure how accepting they would be towards children but i was extremely pleasantly surprised. The first time i stayed here was on a DBB voucher approx 2 years ago and i found the dinner very poor but tonight it was utterly mouthwatering!!!! This hotel it brilliant as is its staff, i will always stay here when I'm in Edinburgh be it with or without a voucher. Will be back, again.......

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We absolutely welcome children at Tigerlily and we will alway do our best to make sure that they are well catered for. I am especially happy to hear that you returned after an unsatisfactory previous visit and that we redeemed ourself. We will very much look forward to your next visit.