Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 December 2008

My husband and I stayed for two nights. We love boutique hotels and were not disappointed with Tigerlily. The decor was fabulous and atmosphere perfect for those looking for something a little more lively but without being filled with teenagers. The bars and restaurant offered excellent service, great cocktails and the food was very good.
When I return to Edinburgh I would certainly stay again.

• Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,781)

Reviewed 3 December 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night break from Tigerlily and we loved it! It really is the most modern and contemporary hotel we have ever stayed in. The room we had was a luxury double which was very spacious which lovely decor. We only had a shower, but it was a walk in wet room type, so more than made up for no bath! We were on the 2nd floor in a very quiet room, which is hard to believe when you go down to the bar which is very noisy at the weekend. The bar is huge and we did spend a few hours in there until we moved down to the club where the residents can queue jump and get in for free - another bonus!! We thought all the staff offered an excellent service. Although we didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, we did have breakfast there one day which was lovely. On the other day we decided to have it delivered to our room which you can do at no extra charge - and here is my only complaint - when it arrived, it had obviously been ready for a while before being delivered as it was a bit cool. All in all this is a great place to stay for those that enjoy a trendy place to be and we cannot wait to go back! Just a word of advice if you are thinking of booking it - go through the hotel first as they gave us a much better deal than lastminute.com were going too!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linperrie
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Scotland’s Best Boutique Hotel?

Well it could be.... I’ve not stayed in better and I’ve been privileged enough to enjoy some great hotels. Tigerlily is comfortably better than the closest competition, the Scotsman and the Glasshouse, hotels that I have stayed in the last couple of years.

Location
On Edinburgh’s best boutique shopping street. A 3 minute walk from Princes Street and 10 from Harvey Nicholls and Jenners.

Close to some great restaurants like Oloroso (great steak).

We had breakfast and dinner. Both were good and breakfast in particular seemed very popular with non hotel guests. Service was good too.

Bar
Very busy in the evening....

Rooms
We had a standard room on the third floor. This hotel has though got the little things right.... Ipods, PSP’s, Plasma TV, robes, tooth brushes, great mini bar (with drinks and snacks you actually want).... Very contemporary and very cool.

Bed, sheets and pillows were very comfortable.

Summary
Tigerlily is a great city hotel that has it all. You could stay at Tigerlily and never leave. Brunch in the restaurant. Drinks, prior to dinner, then downstairs to the club Lulu. Fantastic.

PS - Tigerlily was just voted in the Sunday Times top 100 hotels IN THE WORLD! So, it's not just me. No wonder they are full all the time. THis was the thrird time I've tried to stay, so 3rd time lucky!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I booked this hotel based on previous great reviews and am so pleased that I did. I should mention however that having read the reviews I saw some comments about bookings made through lastminute.com whereby reviewers got to the hotel and there was no reservation or a reservation only for one night instead of two. I therefore checked directly with Tigerlily and lo and behold they only had a record of one night's stay, thank god I checked!! Anyway after some to-ing and fro-ing it was sorted and my boyfriend and I were booked in for 2 nights. So if you've booked your stay through lastminute.com CHECK!!!

Before arriving I let them know that we were checking in late as we were flying up from Manchester and asked if it was possible for them to put some bottled beer on ice for when we got to the room which they did without hesitation, which was much appreciated by my boyfriend!

We stayed in a deluxe double which was lovely and spacious, amazingly comfy big bed (we did not want to get out in the mornings!), with swivel flatscreen tv so you can watch in bed or on the sofas, two wardrobes, dressing table with pre-programmed ipod and speakers, big mirror, mini bar fridge, free wifi, salon hairdryer & straighteners, lovely big bathroom, with twin end bath and rain shower head, BLISS!!

We checked in no problems, although it was a different set up to any hotel I've been to, as the check in backs onto the bar so when we got there was loud pumping music from the bar, but thankfully we couldn't hear any of it as we were on the 3rd floor towards the back of the hotel (not sure how much of this you would hear if you were on the 1st floor or facing the street).

If you want to go to the Opal Lounge nightclub this is free if you are staying at the hotel too. There is also complimentary tea / coffee and fruit in the room too.

I also asked for late check out which was no problem either, the latest being 2pm without incurring a charge!! Brilliant!

We had a dinner reservation at the hotel at 10pm and were taken to the back to a lovely little area with booths with canopies over, had some delicious cocktails and my boyfriend was impressed with the wine recommendations made by the waitress. Food was delicious, especially the Creme Brulee for desert. We were allowed to stay as long as we wanted even though the room had cleared by the time we left approx 12.30am.

The bar is open until 1.00am and has lots of funky little areas and seats but is extremely busy, seems to be the place to be!

Breakfast was ok in the morning (I had asked for my bacon and sausages well done, but they were a bit pale!!) albeit bit pricey (although my boyfriend did love his Eggs Benedict), so would probably eat out in the morning if went again but it is convenient and they do continental breakfast too.

The hotel is extremely central with more bars on the street and a 5 mins walk from Princess Street where all the shops are and not far to walk up towards the Castle. There is also a road called Rose Street parallel to George Street and Princess Street which has lots of little shops and pubs on there which is worth a visit too.

All in all we had an amazing time and did not want to leave!! Would love to go back again!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2008

This Hotel i recomend for sure!

Trendy/stylish boutique hotel,

The only i complain i can find is the stuff, In general they where very friendly, i general maleworkers where more proffensional then the female? especially at the front desk, but its not a big problem.

The restaurant really nice, helpful stuff, food is just ok, nothing more.

This was my first trip to Tigerlily and Edinburg and i will defenetly return

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Lovely trendy boutique hotel in traditional scottish architecture. Nice extras in the rooms and good location in exclusive part of town. Excellent surroundings only marred by the lack of service.

Concierge forgot to make taxi reservations for ourselves and another couple resulting in us being late for dinner. He was not aware of the number one recommended restaurant in edinburgh and had to look it up on the internet . He did not know about the festivals taking place in the area which resulted in us being brought up to speed by local taxi drivers and lastly the breakfast in bed whilst a great idea had not arrived half an hour after our reservation time and only came after phone calls chasing up due to impending check out.

If these types of services do not add value to your stay then this is the hotel for you. Manned and mainly aimed at young people Whilst appreciating this hotel for its good points the lack of sevice means our next stay will be elsewhere in Edinburgh

Reviewed 7 October 2008

Definitely the hippest place to stay in Edinburgh! The staff was really friendly and helpful. At check in, we were taken directly to our room and shown how to use all of the gadgets in the room. The light switches were actually buttons which had to be continually pressed to brighten/dim the lights. The room itself was clean and pretty spacious. The entire setting was very modern. There was even a bit of a view from the window (we were on the 2nd floor). The room amenities were probably the best part, in addition to the normal iron/ironing board/hair dryer, there was also a flat iron (hair straightener) as well as an iPod on a docking station with over 3000 songs!

We checked in around 2300 and immediately freshened up and went to the bar. Unfortunately the restaurant was no longer serving food, no big deal but bar snacks would have been nice. The bartender (front bar near the door) was awesome. He explained the different drinks on their quite extensive drink menu, and even made up a few of his own. The Hendricks gin/cucumber/mint/soda concoction was to die for!

After drinks, we went back to the room which was really quiet for being above a bar. The bed was really, really comfortable.

The greatest, most wonderful part for us, however, was that although check out was at 1100, breakfast continued to be served until 1200! We had breakfast as part of our room cost so it was great that we didn't have to get up early to eat before checking out. Really, that was incredible. The breakfast fare was really tasty as well and seemed to have a pretty decent assortment for residents.

Although we've been to Edinburgh before, we would come back if only to stay at this hotel again - if we could get reservations!