“Absolutely Amazing”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My husband and I booked an evening in tigerlily in a mini suite, to our delight we were upgraded to the Georgian Suite on arrival. The room was amazing, we have stayed in some lovely hotels but this was out of this world, the bed was super comfortable, the i-pod had every conceivable artist on it (believe me, we tried to find something that wasn't on it and failed), the mini bar was stocked with quality drinks at reasonable prices, the hair dryer and straighteners really were salon quality, the fire added a nice romantic feel and the bathroom (complete with tv) was exquisite. We enjoyed just hanging in the room for a while and then ventured to the restaurant downstairs where we both had one of the best meals we have had in years, again, at reasonable prices. The restaurant itself was breathtaking and despite it's size and the number of people, it felt very intimate, we could not fault the very attentive service (although not overly attentive which we find very off putting). The following morning we ordered breakfast in our room, and as with everything else, it was fantastic, I very much enjoyed having a bath and watching tv, two luxuries I'm never afforded being mum to a toddler. Overall, we had a tremendous time and will definately be back, hopefully for 2 nights next time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leolou
Write a ReviewReviews (1,808)

Reviewed 11 February 2009

I am a frequent visitor to Edinburgh and I have stayed in many great hotels, but I think this 1 is my new favourite. I had visited her once before for a drink, and the bar at the weekend is very stylish (but at a price, weatherspoons addicts beware). The hotel has just over 30 rooms so it retains an air of intimacy that is sometimes lost in big hotels. We booked direct with the hotel, and got breakfast and dinner, as well as a luxury room, cheaper than booking room only with places like lastminute/laterooms etc. They had an offer on for January, and although our stay extended into Feb they honoured this offer and upgraded the room to a luxury.

Breakfast is served to order, it's not a buffet style and as it runs till 12pm you dont really need lunch, esp if you want a lie in. You can also have breakfast brought to your room at no extra cost, which is the 1st time I have come across this. The cooked breakfast (with haggis) is excellent, as is the porridge and eggs benedict.

The dinner package we had was from a limited menu, but that said the food was of an excellent standard, and with steak avaliable that alone would cost £25 odd in a comparible restaurant. And the menu was changed nightly so you aren't limited to 4 choices over the same nights. The restaurant is busy and vibrant, and the food and wine is of a very high standard.

The rooms are sumptous and romantic, and kept spotless. Tea/coffee/bottled water is free, and the mini bar is the same price as the main bar. The GHD straightners are a boon for the ladies (even though my wife through a fit when she thought there were none in the room and hers were at home, even though they were in a drawer :-) ). Despite the fact that the bar. restaurant and club are below I barely heard any noise and I was the a room above. There is a good selection on tv, and films can be hired.
The bathroom has a bath and shower, and is fantastic and in keeping with the style of the room.

The location is also spot on, and if you want Princess street it is 150 metres away, and George st is the best place to eat and drink on an evening. The staff were courteous and helpful, in person and on the phone.

I will certainly return here again and hope to have another fantastic weekend. My advice is to people that if you like cocktails then have a full bank account as there as so many to choose from and they sink far too easily. :-)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My partner and I stayed at this hotel as a quick weekend getaway. It was our first visit to Edinburgh and after looking at several reviews online I finally decided upon Tigerlily. We had problems with the booking with lastminute and the hotel had not received our confirmation. Due to this, staff at the hotle very kindly upgraded us from a double to a luxury double at no cost and provided a free bottle of wine.

The hotel is in a prime location on george street, just a short walk to local bars, restaurants and many shops. There is also a bus stop for the airport airlink 100 a 5 min walk away.

The room was beautiful and very spacious, with many nice touches. The hotel itself is very well decorated and extremley clean. I would recomend this hotel to young couples and for romantic getaway's

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I was back in Edinburgh visiting friends over new year and chose Tigerlily on the back of strong reviews on tripadvsior.
There was nothing bad about my short stay but there were disappointing aspects. The wifi worked only intermittently, the shower was weak and the television channels on offer were minimal. The room was fine as was the service.
The bar is excellent but i knew this already and the breakfast was very good.
Location is prime and for first time visitors to Edinburgh it's the perfect base to explore from.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank JTWC79
Reviewed 11 January 2009

My boyfriend and I booked into Tigerlily for one night last week as a Christmas getaway. We stayed in Room 24 - the Black Room.

The hotel was gorgeous. They have a seperate access door for residents now, so you don't need to walk through the bar with all your luggage which is much better than what it sounded like they had before!

We checked in at 1pm and the staff were very pleasant. The room at first glance was gorgeous - I was very excited! However, unfortunately as previous reviews suggested, it's the small things that don't seem to quite work properly. And even worse, is iit's the things that I read about before I went that were a problem when I was there!

My boyfriend jumped straight in the bath once we'd checked in; I think he was more excited about the TV in there than the trip itself. Unfortunately the remote control didn't work, and the volume it was set on was ridiculously loud that you couldn't leave it on. I called reception for a replacement control, but they forgot to get back to me compltely. We went out shopping for the afternoon, and on our return, I mentioned the remote again, - when the lass on reception admitted she'd completely forgotten! One of the guys came up to try and figure it out, but he couldn't fix it either so we just left it.

The straightners didn't work either, which was a shame as I'd purposfully not packed mine as a result of reading the website! I mentioned it when we went down for dinner, and when I returned to my room at 2am, there were a replacement pair there, but admitedly too late by then!

We ate dinner in the restaurant which was delicious. Not too loud at all, and lovely atmosphere. Lovely staff too. Had a couple of drinks in the bar before heading down the street to a couple more bars. Returned to Lulu just to experience the nightclub, but unfortuantely it was absolutely dead. I think I saw 6 people in there - it was midnight on a Wednesday night so probably explains it!

We slept with the fire on, because we couldn't turn it off. To be fair though, this was quite romantic instead of being a complete hindrance! On my check out the next morning though, 2 gas engineers turned up and anounced that they were there to fix the gas fault in room 24 - with someone from the hotel going 'what again?'!! think I would have felt more at ease if they hadn't mentioned it infront of paying clients but no biggie!

Overall, I loved the hotel, - as did my boyfriend. It was just a shame that the little things that we got so excited about wwere the things that were broken. Unfortunately, given that I'd read previous reviews where people who had received a free cocktail or something to compensate, but we didn't receive anything like that. We spent £200 on the room, £86 on the dinner, £50 on cocktails throughout the night, - so pricey, but still it was good.

I would totally recommend the hotel - the room, restaurant and bar were lovely, and well kitted out. I would definately return. Prime location too!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank a1amy
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Loved everything about this place, it was amazing ! Centrally located on George Street in lovely georgian building. Staff were very helpful. Hotel is very decadent in the design but this adds to the experience. Not a huge hotel but lots of areas to eat, drink and relax. The fireside was very popular with the cold December air. This hotel was very popular with non staying guests on business or popping in for food, drink or even breakfast.
Our standard double room was superb with SKY, Ipod, free tealights, fruits and a good seletion of brands in the mini bar. I even liked the nice touch of providing a fresh lime for our drinks and fresh milk in a jug for tea/coffee. On returning to the hotel later that day we had been provided with the turndown service and had an ice bucket waiting us. Bathroom was very stylish with complementary 'white company' toiletries.
We had a package and ate in the hotel which was very good , very efficient with the service. Breakfast was scrummy and the eggs benedict was very tasty, the full Scottish breakfast was very hearty.
Overall this was a fabulous stay and cant wait to go back to Edinburgh to stay here agin !!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2008

Had a recent overnight stay at Tigerlily in Edinburgh - just a wee getaway for some R&R before the Christmas mayhem!
Really impressed with several aspects of the hotel - beauitful design in both the public area and in the bedrooms. Nice extra touches in the rooms - for the boys loaded ipods and sky sports, ghd's for the ladies... not to mention the well stocked minibar.
On booking we were advised there were no double rooms left and were upgraded to the next room for free!! We had booked with a room rate that was inclusive of dinner which ended up being a different and more restrictive menu to the one we were shown on arrival - but none the less the food was fairly good.
Afterward it was nice to enjoy a few drinks on the comfy sofas before retiring to the even comfier bed

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple