“Good experience but some niggles.”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #14 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I recently stayed at Tigerlily for 2 nights with my 14 year old son. We shared a Georgian mini suite which was large and tastefully decorated. On the first night apples and mineral water were provided alongside tea and coffee making facilities. The wall hung TV was a good size and my son enjoyed the fully loaded ipod and complimentary DVD use although the choice was not large. The lighting in the room was complicated to work out and generally not bright enough. The bathroom lighting was extremely dim and the decor was a bit soulless although the room was a very good size.
Breakfast was a little disappointing in that there was no buffet and I really missed not having any fresh fruit. The cooked food was of a high standard though. Service was a bit slow but staff were very pleasant and polite.
Overall I think the Tigerlily was good value for money but not quite as first rate as previous reviews had suggested.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed 6 April 2009

I am young and single and I stayed at the Tigerlily in March/April of 2009 for 3 nights and it was Amazing. Its very ridiculously Trendy. Great Bar area, great nightclub.....The Staff was beyond AMAZING, an issue came up with my travel companion and they were so Accomodating and so Attentive and for that I am FOREVER Grateful.....Its a 5 minute walk to Prince Street and a 15 minute walk to the Royal Mile, its the perfect location for everything and anything.

The rooms were awesome and HUGE...The beds and the sheets were plush. The bathroom was awesome.. They provide you with a PRELOADED IPOD and Stereo loaded with all every recording artist on the planet........The staff is at your beck and call......

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I booked to stay here on my own for just one night, having read the great reviews on Tripadvisor and receiving a recommendation from a taxi driver on a previous trip! The hotel absolutely lived up to my expectations.

My visit started off well when I arrived at Tigerlily at 9 am (early flight in...) to store my bag until check in time. However, the very charming receptionist told me my room was actually ready and bingo, 5 minutes later I was checked in and sitting in a lovely big, bright room overlooking the Firth of Forth. The room was decorated and furnished very stylishly and there were some great little touches that really work - fresh milk in the fridge, plenty of water, biscuits, oranges, a lime for drinks, White Company toiletries, sheepskin bedside rugs, a powerful hairdryer and of course their famous GHD straighteners!

Downstairs it was really nice to have the sort of classy cocktail bar and restaurant that I would normally have to go out to find. I had drinks and dinner there alone and the young staff couldn't have been more welcoming and professional.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a fun but very professionally-run base for a business or leisure trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We recently spent a weekend at Tigerlily staying in one of the Georgian Suites. Having come down to Edinburgh from a week in the middle of nowhere in the Highlands it was a bit of a culture shock to walk into an enormous room with every conceivable gadget, but we soon got used to it. The bed was amazingly comfortable - probably the best I have ever slept in at a hotel. The overall impression was that the hotel have made a real effort to think of everything that you might need and make it available to you. Hair straightners were a nice touch, as was the fresh milk in the fridge to make tea with.

Great staff, really happy to help and made a real effort to help us celebrate a special occasion by recommending a great Thai restaurant for us to eat in. Breakfast in the restaurant was a bit slow on the Saturday so we had it sent up to the room on Sunday,which worked better.

Hotel is centrally located and has a great bar. It is, however, amazingly popular and busy at the weekends, and correspondingly noisy. One of our neighbours had an impromptu party in his room which ran till at least 3am and the next night people were still queuing for the bar/club at 2am. That didn't bother us so much as we were there to party too, but if you'd wanted to sleep, you would have struggled.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My husband and I booked an evening in tigerlily in a mini suite, to our delight we were upgraded to the Georgian Suite on arrival. The room was amazing, we have stayed in some lovely hotels but this was out of this world, the bed was super comfortable, the i-pod had every conceivable artist on it (believe me, we tried to find something that wasn't on it and failed), the mini bar was stocked with quality drinks at reasonable prices, the hair dryer and straighteners really were salon quality, the fire added a nice romantic feel and the bathroom (complete with tv) was exquisite. We enjoyed just hanging in the room for a while and then ventured to the restaurant downstairs where we both had one of the best meals we have had in years, again, at reasonable prices. The restaurant itself was breathtaking and despite it's size and the number of people, it felt very intimate, we could not fault the very attentive service (although not overly attentive which we find very off putting). The following morning we ordered breakfast in our room, and as with everything else, it was fantastic, I very much enjoyed having a bath and watching tv, two luxuries I'm never afforded being mum to a toddler. Overall, we had a tremendous time and will definately be back, hopefully for 2 nights next time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leolou
Reviewed 11 February 2009

I am a frequent visitor to Edinburgh and I have stayed in many great hotels, but I think this 1 is my new favourite. I had visited her once before for a drink, and the bar at the weekend is very stylish (but at a price, weatherspoons addicts beware). The hotel has just over 30 rooms so it retains an air of intimacy that is sometimes lost in big hotels. We booked direct with the hotel, and got breakfast and dinner, as well as a luxury room, cheaper than booking room only with places like lastminute/laterooms etc. They had an offer on for January, and although our stay extended into Feb they honoured this offer and upgraded the room to a luxury.

Breakfast is served to order, it's not a buffet style and as it runs till 12pm you dont really need lunch, esp if you want a lie in. You can also have breakfast brought to your room at no extra cost, which is the 1st time I have come across this. The cooked breakfast (with haggis) is excellent, as is the porridge and eggs benedict.

The dinner package we had was from a limited menu, but that said the food was of an excellent standard, and with steak avaliable that alone would cost £25 odd in a comparible restaurant. And the menu was changed nightly so you aren't limited to 4 choices over the same nights. The restaurant is busy and vibrant, and the food and wine is of a very high standard.

The rooms are sumptous and romantic, and kept spotless. Tea/coffee/bottled water is free, and the mini bar is the same price as the main bar. The GHD straightners are a boon for the ladies (even though my wife through a fit when she thought there were none in the room and hers were at home, even though they were in a drawer :-) ). Despite the fact that the bar. restaurant and club are below I barely heard any noise and I was the a room above. There is a good selection on tv, and films can be hired.
The bathroom has a bath and shower, and is fantastic and in keeping with the style of the room.

The location is also spot on, and if you want Princess street it is 150 metres away, and George st is the best place to eat and drink on an evening. The staff were courteous and helpful, in person and on the phone.

I will certainly return here again and hope to have another fantastic weekend. My advice is to people that if you like cocktails then have a full bank account as there as so many to choose from and they sink far too easily. :-)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My partner and I stayed at this hotel as a quick weekend getaway. It was our first visit to Edinburgh and after looking at several reviews online I finally decided upon Tigerlily. We had problems with the booking with lastminute and the hotel had not received our confirmation. Due to this, staff at the hotle very kindly upgraded us from a double to a luxury double at no cost and provided a free bottle of wine.

The hotel is in a prime location on george street, just a short walk to local bars, restaurants and many shops. There is also a bus stop for the airport airlink 100 a 5 min walk away.

The room was beautiful and very spacious, with many nice touches. The hotel itself is very well decorated and extremley clean. I would recomend this hotel to young couples and for romantic getaway's

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)