“Boutique chic but at what price?”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #19 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
london
“Boutique chic but at what price?”
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at Tigerlilly in order to attend a wedding. This weekend was exceptionally busy and most hotels were booked out over a month in advance. The hotel photos did play a big part in my choosing to stay there and it did live up to expectations. The staff were friendly and highly efficient and did go out of their way to accomodate us (we turned up at 10am and needed to get ready for the wedding) and helped make the day a little less stressfull by helping to organise transport for us. It did make me giggle though that they kepy calling us VIP's (especially since I turned up to the hotel somewhat bedraggled from the effect of travelling since 5am). The room was a mini suite was large and very clean. The decor was very trendy, an enormous TV, an enormous bed with gorgeous comfortable pillows and duvets. There is also an iPOD dock with a fully loaded iPOD which as far as I could tell contained every album you could ever want to hear (couldn't make the speakers work though). An interesting touch was the red disco lights in the window (!) The bathroom was large bright and spotless too. There are nice freebies included (if that's what you like) and I did like the fact that they pretty much thought of most female emergency eventualities - bad hair day, creased clothes etc (even condoms - at least they are responsible!)
There is a nice selection of tea and coffee and a nice touch was having fruit in the room. As a previous reviewer commented on, it was incredibly busy when we returned at 11pm and we had to squeeze past the grumpy doorman to get into the hotel. Having said that, I couldn't here a thing once we entered the room much to my great relief. The bed was so comfy that I was asleep instantly and I felt very relaxed the next morning chilling out wrapped in the comfy duvet.
The downsides (if I think really hard about it) are: stupid light "control panel" which although somewhat frustrating kept me in fits of giggles as my husband attempted to identify which "blob" corresponded to which light. The expense. It was very expensive considering breakfast was not included. I also found it irritating that reception called to nag us to leave (we were 10 minutes late checking out)!
It is trying to be really young, trendy and funky and does fulfill this brief. (I get the impression that it's the kind of place that Coleen Rooney and other WAGS may be seen in). Overall I would go back to stay there if it was a bit cheaper and it relaxed a bit more (the staff seemed a bit on edge). It is a very well run venture and clearly very popular given the current economic climate.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Li2005

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Beware the temptation to believe the receptionist when they reassure you that it is OK to off load luggage outside the front door. I was away from my car for less than 5 minutes and incurred a £60 fine.
Similarly when you come to get a discount on the parking charge at Castle Terrace from the hotel and they tell you to get it from the NCP, do not believe them .I was told that the hotel always say their machine is not able to give you a refund and I am awaiting a reply from the hotel on the matter.
Other wise the food is v good, the bedrooms superb but the hotel is too noisy for wrinklies being full of young professionals winding down after a day in the city .

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank msb280336
Scotland
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Stylish, modern, trendy, quirky, great location, amazing rooms, huge bed, massive plasma TV, loaded iPods, great breakfast, hip bar, amazing cocktails, excellent staff, good value for money - better to call to get a deal rather than online. Got a mini-suite and dinner, bed & breakfast rate for £180.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, don't listen to the negative reviews. Will definitely be back!

Poole, Dorset
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I note some low ratings from 2007, ignore them. This place is simply first rate. The extra touches really make it special (chocolates, fruit, water, GHD hair straighteners (no no idea what they are either but wife was pleased!))

Bags carried to our room and shown around some of the unusual features such as the iPod and lighting. Room was huge, great TV (and no I am not going to complain about the range of DVDs - Who the hell stays in a hotel in a city like this and watches the TV!?)

The bed was luxurious, walk in shower, all you could want from a room and more.

The hotel was always busy, even people coming in for breakfast but service was first rate as was the food. We went to bed around 11:30 the first night and I can safely say I had no issues with noise from the bar/restaurant (which I knew to be packed) In the morning it was silent, didnt realise it was so late until opening the curtains to realise the sun had been up for hours :-) You can have breakfast in your room but the restaurant was lovely so we ate there.

We did the castle, whisky tour, bus tour and visited a local wine bar. Had cocktails and champagne in the cocktail bar on the last night and a meal there on Sunday)

If I had one point it would be to ask the weather to be less windy, but everything in Tigerlilys control was perfect. Thanks so much

2 Thank mrchigley
Wakefield
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Just come back after fantastic weekend away with my boyfriend. We were absolutely amazed by the whole Tigerlily experience!!!!!! Could nt fault it !!!!
Feel well and truly spoiled!!!!
A return visit? Without a doubt.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Where do I start.....

Stay in Jan 09 after getting a fantastic deal on one of the two big Georgian Suites - AMAZING! The whole feel of the hotel is decadent and the Georgian Suite doesn't let itself down.

Felt like I should have been on my honeymoon or something! The biggest bed you've ever seen in your life and the comfiest! Normally just "put up" with hotel beds but seriously, I wanted to take this one home. Best night's sleep I've ever had, didn't want to get out of bed! And even then I had to dig myself out from underneath the most amazing duvet and pillows - still can't believe it was a hotel! Best way to describe it - felt like you were in a "movie bed" - you know what I mean - they always look so much better on screen lol.

Everything about the whole expereience was amazing, even phoning to book the room was a pleasure as the girl on the reception was so friendly and that was just the start.

Got checked in about lunchtime and shown up to our room and had all the gadgets demonstrated to us - very funky lights, preloaded ipod, two tv's and dvd players, one in sitting area and one at the bottom of the amazing bed - above the roaring living flame fire I must add!

Headed down stairs for teatime cocktails (or five) then a gorgeous dinner before heading back up to room to find the turndown service included heart shaped chocolates on the pillows - nice little touch.

FIlled out our breakfast requirements to be delivered to the room in the morning which was fantastic to wake up to.

Don't feel I'm doing this hotel justice with my review. Honestly the most amazing hotel I've stayed in EVER! Topped with the fact it's right in the centre of Edinburgh, it doesn't get much better, but to be honest - once to cross the threshold - you just don't want to leave :) 10 out of 10!!!!

I heading back in a couple of weeks. Staying in one of the Georgian Mini Suites this time so will be back with a review to see how it compares to the larger room I've reviewed above!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
horace49
Reviewed 7 May 2009

TigerLily is a great place - good food, excellent service, great design and a good location. The only thing is that its too busy at weekends. The bar and restaurant were packed and there seemed to be no exclusivity as to who they let in. I stayed previously during the week and its much more pleasant. Can't fault it other than that. Fabulous design, accents of pink and quality fixtures and fittings!. One thing I did notice cold cold air conditioning! Asked for it to be turned down. It was not . £231 for dinner bed and breakfast for one night. Its not cheap - but you get what you pay for!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple