“Beautiful hotel - A wonderful trip away”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #19 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Coventry
“Beautiful hotel - A wonderful trip away”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I have recently returned from a 3 day trip with my fiance to Edinburgh, and was fortunate to have chose Tigerlily as our hotel. Tigerlily really couldn't be in a better location - you have everything on your doorstep, shops, bars, restaurants, and the beautiful attractions. The hotel itself is gorgeous - all pink and sparkly just how i like things but with all mod cons that kept my partner happy. Our room was lovely - on the 3rd floor and nice and quiet. It was spacious, had the most comfortable bed ever and the bathroom was superb! The luxuries like the ipod, bath robes and plasma TV were a real treat.

The staff at the hotel are wonderful and really know their stuff. They are friendly and very helpful. We ate at the hotel restaurant and this too fitted up to the quality which the hotel stands for - a real must. When speaking to taxi drivers etc and having been asked where we are staying, the hotel has a very good reputation. Everyone we spoke to said it was one of, if not the nicest hotel in the city and i would agree, i couldnt fault it. We also went to the hotel nightclub, which considering it was a Tues night was very busy (entry is free if you show your room key)
Tigerlily is a brilliant hotel, in a fantastic location and as and when i return to Edinburgh - Tigerlily will be my one and only choice. Enjoy!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Turkish first
York
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My fiance took me for a birthday treat and I was absolutely bowled over by the place. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly (none of that 'too cool to be excited' business). We stayed on a week night so no problems with nightclub noise, and there was 2 for 1 main courses and half price cocktails so for what was a pretty luxurious evening of food an drink we felt like we had got a really good deal. The bedrooms were lovely but it was really the downstairs that sells the place - eveything from trendy cocktail bar, to comfy settees through to glam restaurant - absolutely the best city-centre hotel that I have ever stayed in, loved it, loved it, loved it!

scotland
Reviewed 28 June 2010

This was our second stay at this hotel and once again we had a great time and really enjoyed it one of the best hotels in Edinburgh.

Great food and service and cool rooms well worth a visit.

Scotland
Reviewed 23 June 2010

My husband and I decided to spend a couple of days in Edinburgh to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We arrived early on a Sunday morning and had no problems leaving our bags with reception while we went to do some sightseeing. The porter service is excellent. The decor and ambience even at 10 on a Sunday morning is welcoming and pleasant. We returned not long after check-in time and had no delay or problems retrieving our bags or getting our room. We were shown to our room by the porter, which was a nice touch.

We stayed in the Deluxe room (middle range; classic, deluxe or suite) and were impressed by the size and layout of the room. There were 2 wardrobes, a desk, armchairs and side table, tv and dvd player, large comfy bed, spaciou ensuite. Mini bar prices were typically expensive but the bottles of water on the bedside tables were complimentary.

The light switches are one of the mose overly complex features I have experienced! A series of dimples to turn light on/ off/ dim / brighter but with no appraent correlation between the switches and the lights our room from the outside must have looked like a junior disco. The one 'normal' switch that was there didn't seem to operate anything...until we pulled the curtains after changing for dinner to discover that switch operates the red lights in the window frame - seriously!! From junior disco to brothel in one flick of a switch!

Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Bearing in mind that we were staying on a Sunday night, it was not quiet and we did not sleep well. The nightclub in the basement generates a considerable amount of noise even on a Sunday night. The air conditioning unit seems dated and is loud enough to drown out the noise from the nightclub. There was another noise all night too, possibly a generator in the kitchen / restaurant immediately downstairs or possibly the fridge, I don't know and I didn't investgate.

We ordered breakfast on room service, for which we don't think there was an extra charge. The breakfast menu choices are limited to a full breakfast, continental with meats, eggs benedict or eggs florentine. A fresh fruit or scrambled eggs option would have been lovely.

Check out is efficient - but it is hard to say if the bill is correct because every separate item is listed but not in detail. Restaurant and Room surely would suffice. It would have been nice to have been asked if we had a pleasant stay, but we weren't and so the opportunity to discuss the problems we had during our stay, was missed.

We had made dinner reservations at the same time as booking our room. Our meal was delicious and the service was excellent. Although the wine list is extensive out first 3 choices were out of stock. We had made our reservation for the Sunday 2-4-1 offer and this was confirmed at the time of booking but when we were asked to authorise the charge to our room we noticed we hadn't been given the free main course dish. We queried this an were told we couldn't combine that offer with the Sunday night rate in the hotel, which is ridiculous and contrary to what we had been told when we made our reservation. I have all the communications in email so I know we were being told 2 very different stories. Nevertheless the restaurant manager agreed to honour our reservation.

Would I recommend the hotel? Probably not, unless you're there to use the night club! Would I recommend the restaurant? Yes.

Catania, Italy
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My husband and I spent 3 days in Edinburgh at the TigerLily and found that we did not want to leave. The hotel was amazing and I mean AMAZING. I was so happy with it and myself for finally booking a nice hotel.

The staff were super friendly from the beginning to end of our stay. I am a light sleeper and addressed this concern when I booked the hotel. They were very accommodating and placed us on the top floor and in the back. I did not hear a sound. It was absolutely wonderful. The hotel was beautiful all the way from the 1st to the 3rd floor, where are room was. There are only 39 rooms in the hotel and they seem to make everyone a priority. Our room was BEAUTIFUL!!! Wow was it ever. It was large and every inch of it was beautiful. The beds were actually two pushed together and it seemed like it was a California king. The advertisement said King but it seemed much larger. It was huge and super comfy. The pillow and comforter were fluffy and comfy too. There was a large plasma TV that had to be top of the line.

The bathroom was gorgeously huge and the shower head…I want one at home. The room came with many great amenities like a blow dryer and flat iron. That would make traveling a little more easy. There was a 30gb ipod with docking station with preset playlists. Really fluffy robes and slippers were also a great extra touch. It was just wonderful. The free Wi-fi was also a wonderful treat. And having a delux breakfast in bed was also amazing!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Rutland
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I stayed at this well positioned hotel (it's on George Street) for 2 nights with my wife when I was on a business trip. Whilst first impressions are that it's very trendy with a nightclub and two lively bars filled with Edinburgh's beautiful people, it actually caters for eveyone. We stayed in a delux room which was superb, lovely big bathroom, very comfotable bed, and very quiet (the night club is in the basement so the noise does not carry to the rooms). The lighting system is over complicated.
Breakfast was excellent although for some strange reason they don't do normal toast, more seared chunky bread! My wife did not appreciate being called "my dear" by the young waiter however!
Overall this was an excellent experience and the rates are very reasonable for such a high standard of accommodation.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Manchester, England
Reviewed 4 June 2010

...this is the place to stay in Edinburgh! I chose Tigerlily for a two night city break based on previous trip advisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is perfectly located, super trendy and extremely comfortable. We stayed in a junior suite and the extra space was a nice luxury - it was great to have a seating area and big tv to relax in front of after a hard day's sightseeing and the huge bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in! The room is equipped with everything you need and more - mini bar, GHDS, ipod & speakers. We had breakfast delivered to our room both mornings which was a lovely start to the day and at no extra cost. All the staff we came across were lovely, friendly and helpful. The hotel bar and restaurant are very popular (full both midweek nights we were there) and have a great atmosphere...not to mention a gorgeous cocktail menu! We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food and service were fantastic - I'd definitely recommend. For the perfect hotel experience in Edinburgh look no further than Tigerlily. Parking tip - for those of you taking your car, park in the castle terrace carpark as the hotel offers a 20% discount. It's a 5 minute walk from the hotel and cost us £30 (instead of £38) for two nights, not bad for city centre parking.