“Good B&B”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #155 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We arrived at Aynetree B&B on Saturday after a rather costly taxi of £15 from Waverly Station, however this was due to a shed load of roadworks going on in the city making the taxi ride longer. We were greeted by Brian who took our payment, gave us some information about bus routes etc. And showed us to our room. The room was clean and met our expectations.

One comment I would like to make is that to make a cup of tea we had to plug in the kettle on the floor so may I suggest running an extension lead up to the table? Wasn't such an issue as we hardly had any brews though.

We stayed in room number one. The tv is a tad on the small side for where it is positioned, I found it hard to watch from lying in bed but you don't go on holiday to watch tv, right?

The cooked Scottish breakfast each morning was good and easily kept us going till lunch. There was also a good selection of cereal and porridge on offer as well. One thing that I wasn't too keen on was the music that was played at breakfast, sort of slow classical traditional music but wasn't my cup of tea, I'd rather have the radio on but I am 24 and perhaps the more mature guest has more of an appreciation of that type of music.

The bus stop into Edinburgh is literally right outside and it takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. You get either the 113 or 44.

I think that's probably about it. I'd like to thank Brian and Anne for their hospitality and yes I would recommend this B&B to other potential visitors.

• Stayed: September 2012
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Hi Ross. Thank you for the great review. Brian and I were pleased that you both liked our home. You certainly stayed in Edinburgh long enough to give it justice (5 days). Yes, the music is geared towards Scottish themed and classical and at 24 years of age (same age as our kids) it would not be your cup of tea. Our daugher has tried to hide my CD.s on numerous occasions but I always manage to retrieve them. And put them on again and again ....You forgot to mention the most important bus. No 5 leaves from our door to the Royal Mile. The no. 44 finishes in Princess St. The 113 is a new bus and comes and goes whenever it can be bothered. The 44 and 5 are every 5 mins. The taxi from town should be £9-£12 and this was because of the farcical tram works. It slows down all traffic. Let us hope that the 700 million pounds spent on the trams are worth it! The tv. To go a size bigger would have been too big. So, we thought that this size was good. I suppose it is a personal choice. I do not like tv's" taking over" the room. Yes, I agree with the kettle issue and this is the case in 4 of the rooms. I have told Brian on several occasions and he says that he will be running in a new socket when he re-decorates. A long extension would be cumbersome, I think. Thank you for the constructive feedback as it helps us to improve. It has been very honest. Unlike some reveiws. Anne. I am off to listen to some Mozart.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our 18 day trip around the UK. This was our 3rd place of lodging during our trip. The room was comfortable with en suite bath, shower a little small but managable. The room was quiet and clean. Yes we did have to pay up front (and by credit card, not required to pay cash), but that was the same at other places throughout our travels. Anne and Brian were very helpful with tickets to things we wanted to do which kept us out of the long lines at the venues. It was nice having the bus stop right out front. We would stay here again anytime!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Lane, thank you for your honest review. It was refreshing to read a sincere review and not one based on fabrication. I admit that some of our toilets are small but unfortunately, we can do nothing about them. Small and clean is all we can offer. You were both lovely guests and were a pleasure to serve.I hope that you enjoyed Scotland. Sorry that the weather was so bad this year. August in Edinburgh is really only useful (and very expensive) for people going to the Tatoo and festival. So, if you ever return to Edinburgh avoid the three weeks when the Tattoo is on. Unless you want to see it again!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

This was an emergency booking, at a very busy time in Edinburgh, so in some ways, perhaps we were lucky to have found somewhere to stay at all. We were a little nervous, having read some of the less positive reviews here (and the responses to them). Having stayed there: yes, the proprietors do require hard cash before allowing you over the threshold; yes, cash is preferred to payment by credit or debit card; yes, the guest house is right on the A1 ( a very main road), but the soundproofing works well; yes, the bus stop is close by, and the journey into Edinburgh takes only 20-30 minutes (£1.40 a ticket); yes, the place is spotlessly clean (though at this price I would expect it to be); yes, the 'private bathroom' is indeed private, but, being on the half landing below the bedroom that it serves means that any nocturnal visit to the loo will require a very public trip down those stairs; yes, breakfast is nicely cooked - if a bit lacking in heart and not rising to any challenge in the locally-sourced- or-produced - food stakes, but overall, and for reasons that I cant really put my finger on, we all found the experience a little strange ( perhaps the proprietors have had bad experiences with guests, which make them nervous of all of us?), and so no - given all this, and the somewhat extreme pricing - I don't think that we would think of staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

I agree that anywhere in Edinburgh is not great value for money in August You must have known the price however before booking.and compared it and come up with us as a place that offered best value in a city when prices are inflated to double the price for three weeks in the year. Our prices are half the amount that you paid the other months and if you can have a look at our prices with any of our agents. When the big hotels are charging as much as £500 per night in August all the smaller places put up the prices. I would love to know the reason why you choose us if the price was too high. We ask for cash for small transactions under £130 (like yourselves) as the bank charge a lot of money for using their services. Some establishments ask the guest to pay a percentage. Of course we have had bad experieces in the past from being verbally attacked to being threatened. Thankfully this is only 5% of the public. In this business you are allowing strangers into your home and have to be extra vigilant. Usually I am on my own and it can be quite daunting when encountering a difficult guest(s) Fraudulant credit cards, smoking in the rooms and abusing the property and myself only happens a few times a year. But these are the only pitfalls of the business and we have met some of the lovliest people from different parts of the world and they return to us every year. As for the breakfast. The food is locally sourced. Perhaps if you had stayed more than one night you could have experienced a bigger variety in the menu. We do not have a menu as such but people tell us what they want and we cook it, within reason. If we do not have an ingredient then we go out and buy it if they are more than one night. Any estalishment should be very clean no matter the cost. From a £15 per night hostel to a five star hotel. If it is any consolation to you I am glad that August is over with so that we can ALL charge prices to our visitors that are more accepable and within their budget. I feel so much better charging £70 per night for a double room and I think that this is great value for money. This is our price outwith August and New Year. It makes me wonder why you came in August ???

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Stayed for two nights 2 & 3 July. We had one of the rooms located on the ground floor, as this is a major route into the City we thought we would be disturbed by road noise, but far from it. We were able to book fast track tickets with Anne for the Castle, which saved us a lot of time from queuing. Anne even told us that if we decided to not go to the Castle if we handed back the voucher she would refund our money, which we thought was very considerate. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. There is a bus stop right outside the B & B and buses run every 5-10 minutes into the City, great because we didnt want to use the car. All in all a great stay, and would consider returning if we go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

It was a pleasure to have such friendly guests in my home. I am glad that you slept well at the front ot the house. We spent a lot of money and time removing the windows and restoring them and putting in acoustic secondary glazing. It worked a treat! I would love to see you both back some time. Have a good day. Anne.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Just returned home from a great one night stay at Ayntree Guest House.
We telephoned to book the room and spoke to Anne she explained that she had to go out to see her elderly mother. She explained she would leave a key, great idea as you can arrive when it suits you and not keep the guest house owner waiting about all day and night.

Breakfast was served by Brain and was great just what we needed for a long day on the golf course,great choice of cereal,juice and fruit we both had the porridge which was delicious and then full breakfast.
The rooms and guest house were spotless , free WIFI. Great keep up the good work we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for the great review. The emergency access to the house is great for late arrivals due to budget flights and any other problems that may arise and when a guest is running very late in arriving. It is invaluable and many of the guest houses now have this type of access when the proprietor cannot be there 24/7. I hope that you both return one day. Anne.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

We had a wonderful stay here. Our hostess was delightful and breakfast was really good!

Room Tip: I would imagine that like ours, all rooms here would be wonderful to stay in. Our room had a bathroo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thanks for the great review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. You were great guests who appreciated the hard work that I put in to the business. It was also super to comment on me personally. After two bad reviews recently, I was beginning to get a complex! Thank you for brightening up my day.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the weekend. Was met with negativity about bringing a young child but she still took the booking and had a travel cot! (And when we got there there was at least one other young child), so they're obviously prepared to take your money.

Was not particularly helpful about the fact that we needed to arrive before 2pm due to the wee-one needing a nap - and we had to set up his travel cot ourselves when we got there!! (even though we were paying £110 a night for a 3* B&B). Also NO flexibility on opening the breakfast room early eg for cereal even though our wee one wakes at 6am, as they've converted the 2 downstairs rooms into bedrooms for extra revenue. My husband was met with a very off-hand response ("This is a GUESThouse" [ie not a hotel] when he asked if there was a sitting room for the guests - this meant we had only the hotel room in the dark once the baby had gone off to sleep in the evenings. NB In England one of the differences I believe between a 2 & 3 *** b&b is that they have a separate sitting room for the guests.

On the first morning at breakfast we were met with a very dim room lit by candle-light with the most dreary Scottish muzak playing on a CD player in the corner (this was at breakfast mind, not evening meal! As we had been seated furthest from the window I switched the light (toned down) on only to be told that guests/customers had no choice in the matter when the landlady came back in and switched the light back off!!

When we got back on the first day the stuff off the bed had just been thrown and left in the travel cot in a heap and the dirty cereal bowl from the baby's breakfast had not been washed or taken away (we'd had to eat in the room because the breakfast room wasn't open remember).

As we were reminded about 5 times to bring cash for the second night's stay the overall feeling was that this couple were only after your money and not bothered about being friendly to the guests. The husband seemed to be a bit less frosty than the wife, esp. after they were out when some foreign guests arrived on the Saturday evening and we let the guests in and helped them out by phoning the proprietors and locating the keys, gave them info about where to eat out etc etc. Funnily enough the tone completely changed after that...(This poor German couple were trying on the door and ringing the bell for quite some time before I realised there must be a problem and that the proprietors weren't in - they had come straight from the airport and were a bit stressed). As the room keys had been left in a drawer and there was a large sign up by the stairs with "In an emergency please contact ..." one might be forgiven for thinking that this was not the only time the owners had been out when guests had arrived....

No high-chair for toddlers at breakfast. Room was not carpeted so trip-zones and not forgiving for child-falls.

Not recommended.