“Excellent Guest House”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #154 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Stayed at this guest house for a couple of nights recently. Brian and Ann that run the place are very knowledgeable of Edinburgh and were able to point us in the right direction on where to go and what to see. The place was refreshing clean and warm and had all the extras that one needs on a short stay away from home. The breakfast was plenty with a wide variety. The towels were crisp and clean. The bus stop outside went straight into the city. The room was slightly on the small side but for value for money was well worth it.

Room Tip: We faced the front of the house and was quiet considering we faced the main road
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Thanks for reviewing. Yes, we have had secondary accoustic double glazing intalled (2 years ago) and this makes an amazing difference to the front of the house.It also makes the house so much warmer in winter. A great investment. Hope you come back.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Anne did not only give us a warm welcome but also provided us with lots of useful information. The family room, which easily fits 3 adults, was spotless clean with comfortable beds, TV, Tea and Coffee maker. The en suite bathroom was small but with everything you need – 24hours hot water, hair drier and enough towels.

Breakfast was excellent. Started with a choice of cereals or porridge and completed with full Scottish breakfast or just a small part of it, individually tailored to your taste. There was juice, coffee/tea (ordinary black) or a variety of herbal/special black teas you never get in any other hotel.

It takes around 20min by bus to the city centre and the bus stop is just in front of the house. Buses are cheap and run frequently which makes travelling from and to the city very easy. There is a lot to explore in Edinburgh and Anne as well as Brian provided us with helpful brochures and we could even buy a voucher for the castell which prevented us from queuing.

Reading the past two comments I just think it’s not easy to please all people and some costumers are never happy. We truly enjoyed our four nights at this friendly B&B and would recommend it at any time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Nicole, Thank you so much for your sincere words. I am glad that I was of help in helping plan your day. Yes, it is true that if is difficult to please all the guests all of the time. But at least I try. This is all I can do at the end of the day. I hope to see you both again.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

After I read so many great reviews about Aynetree Guest House, I was expecting a miracle. Ok, not literally, but one would expect two very friendly and nice hosts as well as warm B&B atmosphere along with delicious breakfast.Unfotunatelly I was wrong. First of all, we have not seen Anne during our whole stay. Brian was helpfull but not as people described here, he gave us basic informations that we asked for and wished us good morning before breakfast. And that's the whole "perfect hosts" story. Room was a lot smaller than described so we tried to squezze in our luggage in one small corner. Bathroom wasn't cleaned during our stay. Rooms are pricey. More than enough factors to give this B&B 2 stars.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jelena R
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

These two people stayed here a year ago and then decided to write a review. They booked the petite room which means it is a small room. It is also classed as the "budget room". The price they paid was £24 each which included breakfast, car park and WiFi. The reason the price was so low was because it was October. £24 would hardly be enough for a night out in town for one person. As for not meeting me (Anne). I work from 7am 1st March to 30th September until 6pm at night in the guest house. In the winter months I work less hours as we have less guests. Brian can cope with breakfast on his own.The guests never met me because they were out when I start for the day (10am). If they wanted to meet me they could have hung around until this time. As for the bathroom not being cleaned.Utter lies as I pride myself in my standards.If the reader looks at the reviews cleanliness is high up in the score. Brian is a very friendly person and is always popular with the guests as he is a naturally good-natured chap. If these two guests could have booked somewhere else en suite for the £24 that they paid then why didn't they? Miracles only happen in fairytales.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We found the lady that run the place was very rude but the man was OK, food was reasonable and the bus stop was out the front. rooms were cramped (mind your shins on bed end)but comfortable ensuite small. we were told that Glasgow was not a place to visit by them but found Glasgow a very lovely place to go. I personally wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Room No:4 had to go across the landing to bath room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Hi. The reason why I was rude to you (and if asking you to stop shouting at your wife was rude) then I hold my hand up! The scene that you both caused was witnessed by a number of guests and it was embarrassing to say the least! I would not have you here again. Or is this me being rude again?

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We arrived at Aynetree B&B on Saturday after a rather costly taxi of £15 from Waverly Station, however this was due to a shed load of roadworks going on in the city making the taxi ride longer. We were greeted by Brian who took our payment, gave us some information about bus routes etc. And showed us to our room. The room was clean and met our expectations.

One comment I would like to make is that to make a cup of tea we had to plug in the kettle on the floor so may I suggest running an extension lead up to the table? Wasn't such an issue as we hardly had any brews though.

We stayed in room number one. The tv is a tad on the small side for where it is positioned, I found it hard to watch from lying in bed but you don't go on holiday to watch tv, right?

The cooked Scottish breakfast each morning was good and easily kept us going till lunch. There was also a good selection of cereal and porridge on offer as well. One thing that I wasn't too keen on was the music that was played at breakfast, sort of slow classical traditional music but wasn't my cup of tea, I'd rather have the radio on but I am 24 and perhaps the more mature guest has more of an appreciation of that type of music.

The bus stop into Edinburgh is literally right outside and it takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. You get either the 113 or 44.

I think that's probably about it. I'd like to thank Brian and Anne for their hospitality and yes I would recommend this B&B to other potential visitors.

• Stayed: September 2012
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Hi Ross. Thank you for the great review. Brian and I were pleased that you both liked our home. You certainly stayed in Edinburgh long enough to give it justice (5 days). Yes, the music is geared towards Scottish themed and classical and at 24 years of age (same age as our kids) it would not be your cup of tea. Our daugher has tried to hide my CD.s on numerous occasions but I always manage to retrieve them. And put them on again and again ....You forgot to mention the most important bus. No 5 leaves from our door to the Royal Mile. The no. 44 finishes in Princess St. The 113 is a new bus and comes and goes whenever it can be bothered. The 44 and 5 are every 5 mins. The taxi from town should be £9-£12 and this was because of the farcical tram works. It slows down all traffic. Let us hope that the 700 million pounds spent on the trams are worth it! The tv. To go a size bigger would have been too big. So, we thought that this size was good. I suppose it is a personal choice. I do not like tv's" taking over" the room. Yes, I agree with the kettle issue and this is the case in 4 of the rooms. I have told Brian on several occasions and he says that he will be running in a new socket when he re-decorates. A long extension would be cumbersome, I think. Thank you for the constructive feedback as it helps us to improve. It has been very honest. Unlike some reveiws. Anne. I am off to listen to some Mozart.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during our 18 day trip around the UK. This was our 3rd place of lodging during our trip. The room was comfortable with en suite bath, shower a little small but managable. The room was quiet and clean. Yes we did have to pay up front (and by credit card, not required to pay cash), but that was the same at other places throughout our travels. Anne and Brian were very helpful with tickets to things we wanted to do which kept us out of the long lines at the venues. It was nice having the bus stop right out front. We would stay here again anytime!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Lane, thank you for your honest review. It was refreshing to read a sincere review and not one based on fabrication. I admit that some of our toilets are small but unfortunately, we can do nothing about them. Small and clean is all we can offer. You were both lovely guests and were a pleasure to serve.I hope that you enjoyed Scotland. Sorry that the weather was so bad this year. August in Edinburgh is really only useful (and very expensive) for people going to the Tatoo and festival. So, if you ever return to Edinburgh avoid the three weeks when the Tattoo is on. Unless you want to see it again!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

This was an emergency booking, at a very busy time in Edinburgh, so in some ways, perhaps we were lucky to have found somewhere to stay at all. We were a little nervous, having read some of the less positive reviews here (and the responses to them). Having stayed there: yes, the proprietors do require hard cash before allowing you over the threshold; yes, cash is preferred to payment by credit or debit card; yes, the guest house is right on the A1 ( a very main road), but the soundproofing works well; yes, the bus stop is close by, and the journey into Edinburgh takes only 20-30 minutes (£1.40 a ticket); yes, the place is spotlessly clean (though at this price I would expect it to be); yes, the 'private bathroom' is indeed private, but, being on the half landing below the bedroom that it serves means that any nocturnal visit to the loo will require a very public trip down those stairs; yes, breakfast is nicely cooked - if a bit lacking in heart and not rising to any challenge in the locally-sourced- or-produced - food stakes, but overall, and for reasons that I cant really put my finger on, we all found the experience a little strange ( perhaps the proprietors have had bad experiences with guests, which make them nervous of all of us?), and so no - given all this, and the somewhat extreme pricing - I don't think that we would think of staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

I agree that anywhere in Edinburgh is not great value for money in August You must have known the price however before booking.and compared it and come up with us as a place that offered best value in a city when prices are inflated to double the price for three weeks in the year. Our prices are half the amount that you paid the other months and if you can have a look at our prices with any of our agents. When the big hotels are charging as much as £500 per night in August all the smaller places put up the prices. I would love to know the reason why you choose us if the price was too high. We ask for cash for small transactions under £130 (like yourselves) as the bank charge a lot of money for using their services. Some establishments ask the guest to pay a percentage. Of course we have had bad experieces in the past from being verbally attacked to being threatened. Thankfully this is only 5% of the public. In this business you are allowing strangers into your home and have to be extra vigilant. Usually I am on my own and it can be quite daunting when encountering a difficult guest(s) Fraudulant credit cards, smoking in the rooms and abusing the property and myself only happens a few times a year. But these are the only pitfalls of the business and we have met some of the lovliest people from different parts of the world and they return to us every year. As for the breakfast. The food is locally sourced. Perhaps if you had stayed more than one night you could have experienced a bigger variety in the menu. We do not have a menu as such but people tell us what they want and we cook it, within reason. If we do not have an ingredient then we go out and buy it if they are more than one night. Any estalishment should be very clean no matter the cost. From a £15 per night hostel to a five star hotel. If it is any consolation to you I am glad that August is over with so that we can ALL charge prices to our visitors that are more accepable and within their budget. I feel so much better charging £70 per night for a double room and I think that this is great value for money. This is our price outwith August and New Year. It makes me wonder why you came in August ???