“Exceeded Our Expectations”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #156 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2012

From arrival to departure absolutely everything exceeded our expectations. Leaving the car and having the bus right at the door was a big bonus. The room was fairly spacious and in excellent condition, very clean, lovely and warm and comfortable bed. Breakfast couldn't be faulted, delicious food served with a smile and a laugh. Best of all, Anne and Bryan, nothing was too much trouble for them. One big disappointment, having to leave - but we shall be back!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

We are both so glad that you enjoyed Edinburgh and our guest house. I really do hope to see you both again. Anne.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

A really really lovely guest house! Myself and my partner stayed for two nights to enjoy a long weekend on our first visit to the city. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bus stop right outside the driveway, and it was only around a 20 minute ride into the city.

Brian was a great host, and very helpful to newcomers like ourselves. He recommended all the right places to visit and advised very well on bus routes, etc.

Breakfast was wonderful! Very well presented, and enough to fill you up for the morning!
We stayed in the petite double room, situated on the ground floor to the back of the house. It was a little uncomfortable staying right next to the breakfast room, but served it's purpose! Bathroom was a good size (although one thing I would say is the tiled floor was unbelievably cold!) The room itself was on the small side but decent enough for two nights.

Overall a very pleasant stay. Very clean, friendly and good value.
Would definitely stay again and upgrade to one of the larger rooms!

Thanks Brian.
We hope to stay again in the future!

Emma & Matthew

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Hi Emma and Mathew, thank you for the great review and it would be great if you both returned to Edinburgh as two days does not do it justice. The petite room is great value for money and especially good for very short stays. In fact, it is the most popular room in the house (due to the price). In winter the floor in the bathroom would be cold, I suppose, as it is tiled. The wooden floors are fine. A good idea would be to put on the overhead heater in the bathroom for a while to give it a bit extra heat. This would perhaps help. Unfortunately, this is all that I can suggest for by using slippers. I hope to see you again and room 1 and 4 are my favourite doubles if you return. Have a great christmas and new year. Brian.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Another two night short-break stay at the Aynetree Guest House - 4th year in a row, this time with our parents. Handy place to leave the car and get the bus. The breakfast beats all other B&B's that we have been to around the UK. The quality of this establishment is excellent under the stewardship of Ann and Bryan. Attention to detail, cleanliness, friendly and helpful information. See you in late 2013. Merry Christmas. Hazel xx

Room Tip: Over the years I think we have stayed in most of the rooms - all at a high standard
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Hi Hazel, it was great to see you both again and I hope to see you next year. Same date I suppose. Have a great christmas with your family. Anne.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Friendliest people in the world! Rebooking the room at the very last minute was no problem at all! We had a wonderful and clean room and facilities provided were good. I think the location is great as well. Close to Arthur's Seat, for anyone who is interested in hiking. The Breakfast was very good as well and the atmosphere always very nice and warm.
I can deeply recommend the Guest House to everyone!

Kind regards to all Travellers from Germany,
Marie

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review. It was very king of you to give such positve feedback. Merry christmas. Anne.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

We found this guest house very comfortable and great value for money. We were actually staying at the same time as the German people who gave this place a very bad review. We were amazed that the owner did not ask then to leave as they were so rude at breakfast. They complained about everything. Our room was next door, and it was very clean and the public areas were spotless too. The breakfast was hearty and filling on a cold day and there is fresh fruit, yogurt and plenty of healthy options if you do not want the full Scottish. The aroma coming from the kitchen though gave us such an appetite that we opted for the full Scottish every day (we stayed 4 days). The quality of the breakfast was great and included black pudding and haggis. I enjoyed the black pudding as we normally only have white pudding in the area where I come from. The bus is right at the door and takes you to the Royal Mile in 20 mins. max. It is great to leave the car for the 4 days in a secure car park. We stayed at the front of the house facing the road and there is no noise from the traffic (traffic only 7 am to 7 pm mainly) as there is acoustic double glazing which is very good. I was worried at first as we were at the front but it was so quiet. The owner, Brian, was very kind and friendly. I never met the other staff but the cleaner who did the rooms was very thorough and is an asset to the business. Thank you Brian.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the excellant review.I was so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, the three German guests did not like the fact that they could not check in at 10am and go to bed after their early morning flight and that the room was not ready until 2pm. I know that I am a quick worker but when people check out at 10am each room takes 1 hour to clean well. So if they wanted to check in as the previous guests passed them in the doorway then I would have had to clean the entire room within 5 mins. or so! But, I really hope that their rudeness at breakfast did not upset you too much. I am glad that you enjoyed the cooked breakfast and that our acoustic glazing and secondary double glazing works well. I hope that you return one day.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights to see Edinburgh at Christmas time. Our experience 'Only Got Better' from first to last minute. We arrived after a long and tiring journey to be met with a warm welcome and room. We were given a map of the city and things to do in Edinburgh during the festive period. The room was all that you were looking - could'nt have a party in it; but big enough for a double room, extremely clean, lots of basic necessaries, clean en-suite and well lit. Left the car and took the bus into the city from outside the house. We managed to make our way back to the house and slept well - I thought this might be difficult as we faced the main road - but with the double/double glass set up you do not hear a thing. The breakfast in the morning is the biggest I have seen for a guest house. My wife started with a large bowl of porridge and we both followed this up with a large cooked breakfast - it was falling off the plate !! Our second day was great - lot of walking and a couple of visits to local pubs. We loved this place - so easy to find, close to the city using the efficient bus system, excellent value, extremely clean, efficient and welcoming owners. Shall be back to have a better look at the city and do the 'touristy' things the next time. Thank you and shall see you again soon. Tony

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Manager at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Hi Tony, thank you for the great review. I am so glad that you liked our home and Edinburgh. Yes, the refitting of the front windows with draught-proofing and secondary acoustic double glazing has been well worth the money. A great investment. All the guests seem pleased with it. As for the breakfast. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and our guests can eat as little or as much as they want. If they want more they only have to ask. It was great that you came forward when we had run out of fresh fruit. It was too busy for me to notice and I wish that all guests could speak up and tell me exactly what they want. It helps me a lot when the guest house is very busy. Thank you for that.The car park is a bonus as it is £20 to park in the town in the big hotels.This is if they have any space left. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed for two nights at the guesthouse. We stayed in the rooms on the ground floor. The beds were fine with a coffee and teatray. The showers were small but ok. The owner Brian was very helpful. He gave directions on how the bussystem worked, where we could eat etc. He also cooked a lovely breakfast. Our daughters even got a little frog and turtletoy when we left...thanks!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisette H
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Thank you so much for your average review. I| am so glad that the children loved their gifts. They were extremely well behaved. Hope to meet again. Anne.