“Friendly wonderful hosts - lovely B&B”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #151 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The Aynetree Guest House is a beautifully run B&B with hosts who obviously love their job, and enjoy telling people about the wonderful city of Edinburgh. We booked this B&B online, and were responded to very promptly by Brian, who is a wonderful host. He even sold us tickets for entry to the Castle, which helped avoid long lines at the entrance. He happily filled us in on all the best tourist sites, and made sure we had al the information we needed to use the public bus system. (Our bus trip was wonderful, with a young Scottish mother, singing nursery songs to her gorgeous son - her accent was delightful. I also liked the tartan upholstery in the bus!). We had the room with a separate bathroom along the landing. The bathroom was very well appointed and modern, but the sloping roof and shower over the bath (with no screen) made it a bit difficult for us to enjoy our showers, as we are both very tall people - minor problem, but one which could be addressed. Our room was very comfortable and clean, with tea/coffee facilities. We disappointed both Anne and Brian by declining the full Scottish breakfast (how do people eat so much so early in the day??!), but enjoyed the smaller breakfast we ordered. We would thoroughly recommend the Aynetree Guest House - very friendly, welcoming and pleasant. We didn't manage to get a park at the front of the Guest House, but our car was safe in a side street next to it. While you're in Edinburgh, make sure you go to the Taste of Scotland Show at The Stables, Prestonfield - amazing! Would definitely stay at Aynetree again - wonderful experience.

Room Tip: If you're tall, don't take the room with the separate bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed the guest house and your trip up North. Yes, the trip is supposed to be very good and the bus picks you up from our guest house which is great and saves bus fare or a taxi into town. As for the bath tub in room 4 which is a bathroom separate from the room. I would not recommend this bathroom to anyone wishing a shower as it is only a hand held shower and good for running over your hair. It is really for people who want to have a bath and funny enough it is popular enough as many people like to soak on a bath after a day walking around. I hate baths, for one, and I can undrerstand the difficulty in trying to use it for any other reason than hair washing. This is why is it very important to read the room description when booking a room. Unfortunately, we cannot put a separate shower in this room as it has a sloped ceiling. We have looked into this as it would be better for our guests to have a shower and a bath in this room. Sorry about that. As for the tickets to the castle. We are the only guest house in Edinburgh who can sell tickets to the guests (same price) and avoid up to one hour wait in high season. There are the large hotels who sell them but we are the only guest house. We have many a guest who have thanked us for saving them an hour or so. You simply hand the voucher to the man at the gate (walking past all the people) and walk on in. I suppose you could pretend that you are a VIP. We hope to see you again some time.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

What a place; what an experience. We stayed at this guest house over the new year period and found it absolutely brilliant. Anne and Brian are wonderful and looked after our every need from providing a brochure on what was happeing in the city to having a late breakfast on new year's morning. The location was ideal because the free late bus after the bells went straight to the guest house as my wife was a bit 'under the weather'. The place was a bit dear; but what can you expect at that time of year. Apart from that, the house was above our dreams. As for Edinburgh - we would come and stay here permanently if I could afford it. The new year experience; the people; the culture is superb. Shall come back some time in the future. Best wishes for 2012 - Tony

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Tony, I am so glad that you had a great time at the New Year. You certainly had loads of energy and covered a lot of ground. Your run up Arthur's seat was done in record time. You made me exhausted just talking to you about it! Such energy. I am away for a lie down..

Reviewed 31 December 2012

From arrival to departure absolutely everything exceeded our expectations. Leaving the car and having the bus right at the door was a big bonus. The room was fairly spacious and in excellent condition, very clean, lovely and warm and comfortable bed. Breakfast couldn't be faulted, delicious food served with a smile and a laugh. Best of all, Anne and Bryan, nothing was too much trouble for them. One big disappointment, having to leave - but we shall be back!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

We are both so glad that you enjoyed Edinburgh and our guest house. I really do hope to see you both again. Anne.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

A really really lovely guest house! Myself and my partner stayed for two nights to enjoy a long weekend on our first visit to the city. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bus stop right outside the driveway, and it was only around a 20 minute ride into the city.

Brian was a great host, and very helpful to newcomers like ourselves. He recommended all the right places to visit and advised very well on bus routes, etc.

Breakfast was wonderful! Very well presented, and enough to fill you up for the morning!
We stayed in the petite double room, situated on the ground floor to the back of the house. It was a little uncomfortable staying right next to the breakfast room, but served it's purpose! Bathroom was a good size (although one thing I would say is the tiled floor was unbelievably cold!) The room itself was on the small side but decent enough for two nights.

Overall a very pleasant stay. Very clean, friendly and good value.
Would definitely stay again and upgrade to one of the larger rooms!

Thanks Brian.
We hope to stay again in the future!

Emma & Matthew

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Hi Emma and Mathew, thank you for the great review and it would be great if you both returned to Edinburgh as two days does not do it justice. The petite room is great value for money and especially good for very short stays. In fact, it is the most popular room in the house (due to the price). In winter the floor in the bathroom would be cold, I suppose, as it is tiled. The wooden floors are fine. A good idea would be to put on the overhead heater in the bathroom for a while to give it a bit extra heat. This would perhaps help. Unfortunately, this is all that I can suggest for by using slippers. I hope to see you again and room 1 and 4 are my favourite doubles if you return. Have a great christmas and new year. Brian.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Another two night short-break stay at the Aynetree Guest House - 4th year in a row, this time with our parents. Handy place to leave the car and get the bus. The breakfast beats all other B&B's that we have been to around the UK. The quality of this establishment is excellent under the stewardship of Ann and Bryan. Attention to detail, cleanliness, friendly and helpful information. See you in late 2013. Merry Christmas. Hazel xx

Room Tip: Over the years I think we have stayed in most of the rooms - all at a high standard
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Hi Hazel, it was great to see you both again and I hope to see you next year. Same date I suppose. Have a great christmas with your family. Anne.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Friendliest people in the world! Rebooking the room at the very last minute was no problem at all! We had a wonderful and clean room and facilities provided were good. I think the location is great as well. Close to Arthur's Seat, for anyone who is interested in hiking. The Breakfast was very good as well and the atmosphere always very nice and warm.
I can deeply recommend the Guest House to everyone!

Kind regards to all Travellers from Germany,
Marie

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review. It was very king of you to give such positve feedback. Merry christmas. Anne.

Reviewed 7 December 2012

We found this guest house very comfortable and great value for money. We were actually staying at the same time as the German people who gave this place a very bad review. We were amazed that the owner did not ask then to leave as they were so rude at breakfast. They complained about everything. Our room was next door, and it was very clean and the public areas were spotless too. The breakfast was hearty and filling on a cold day and there is fresh fruit, yogurt and plenty of healthy options if you do not want the full Scottish. The aroma coming from the kitchen though gave us such an appetite that we opted for the full Scottish every day (we stayed 4 days). The quality of the breakfast was great and included black pudding and haggis. I enjoyed the black pudding as we normally only have white pudding in the area where I come from. The bus is right at the door and takes you to the Royal Mile in 20 mins. max. It is great to leave the car for the 4 days in a secure car park. We stayed at the front of the house facing the road and there is no noise from the traffic (traffic only 7 am to 7 pm mainly) as there is acoustic double glazing which is very good. I was worried at first as we were at the front but it was so quiet. The owner, Brian, was very kind and friendly. I never met the other staff but the cleaner who did the rooms was very thorough and is an asset to the business. Thank you Brian.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the excellant review.I was so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, the three German guests did not like the fact that they could not check in at 10am and go to bed after their early morning flight and that the room was not ready until 2pm. I know that I am a quick worker but when people check out at 10am each room takes 1 hour to clean well. So if they wanted to check in as the previous guests passed them in the doorway then I would have had to clean the entire room within 5 mins. or so! But, I really hope that their rudeness at breakfast did not upset you too much. I am glad that you enjoyed the cooked breakfast and that our acoustic glazing and secondary double glazing works well. I hope that you return one day.