“Warm hospitality for two stranded Americans!”

Aynetree Guest House
Ranked #155 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Brian could not have been more helpful to us when, through my error, my friend and I were stranded with nowhere to sleep that night. Not only did Brian accept our hectic request for a room, but even waited outside so we'd know we found the right place, this even though he was on his way to join his wife for a family medical emergency. He was kind enough to get us situated comfortably before he left. The room was spacious and comfortable, and even though he worked solo next morning, the breakfast was superb. I will carry fond memories of my stay at Aynetree Guest House.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong for pleasure and price when you need lodging outside Edinburgh
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Suzanne, Thank yoiu for your great review. I am glad that you enjoyed my hospitality. It would be great to see you both again. Although we are not in the city centre we are still in Edinburgh (near Arthur's seat and Palace of Holyrood). Just in case our readers thought that our address was not in Edinburgh. I hope that you both enjoyed the next leg of your journey and it was great to have such lovley guests staying in our home. Bria-. Jack of all trades. Master of none!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

My husband, son,daughter and I stayed here 31/5/13 having helped my daughter vacate her room in halls after her first year at Edinburgh university. We thoroughly recommend this charming place. We had a wonderful stay. The family room is thoroughly tasteful and overlooks the park. It is very spacious and cosy. Brian and Anne could not do enough to please and breakfast was beautiful. We will definitely return because the location is also excellent. Edinburgh city centre is one way with the magnificent Porthobello beach the other. Thank you to you both.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joanne186470
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Hi Joanne, Thank you for your glowing review. You and your family are welcome anytime. The children were very well-mannered and you both must be very proud of them. Anne.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Aynetree Guest House in early April of 2013. Brian and Anne were wonderful to us even before we began our vacation. All questions were answered quickly via email. I was slightly confused with the online booking form, only because I couldn’t book the room I wanted to. (This ended up being because the room wasn’t available all four nights) Anne responded to my email inquiry about the issue with all answers to my questions. We ended up staying in the room that was not ensuite. We had NO issue with the bathroom being down the stairs on the landing. It was a private bathroom, and even using the handheld showerhead (something we weren’t used to!) was not a problem! The hallway has light all through the night, so we never had a problem using the bathroom after hours. We found the room small (common for Europe in general), but well appointed, clean and really cozy. We can’t say enough about how clean the room and bathroom were for our entire stay. The guest house is a little bit on the edge of Edinburgh…it’s not a walk to city center sort of place…but it is only a short ride from the house to the center of town on the city bus, which stops right in front of the house. There is a little convenience store just a short walk from the guest house…and the beach with restaurants is a longer walk, but still manageable (and worth the walk...beautiful!). The breakfast was good and plentiful…very yummy…and we had our first taste of haggis! In short…great guest house…great hosts…good food…and decent location. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the private bathroom room...even though it is not ensuite, it is not inconven...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WendyHoltz
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Wendy, Thank you for the amazing review! It makes our work worthwhile when our guests are truly happy. Yes, the beach is a 15 min. walk away (We have both timed it) and there is a lovely restaurant there facing the sea and another place with live Celtic music on selected days of the week. Although we are not classed as city centre a couple walked to the Palace of Holyrood via Duddingston village the other day and then went up Arthur's seat. Most of of guests do not have the time (or the energy) to do this so it is best to jump on the bus from the gate which leaves every 5 mins. You end up in the Royal Mile or Princess st. depending on which one you take. The 113 is a new bus and take 14 mins compared to the 5 and 44 wjhich take 20 mins (bypasses a certain area). I am glad that room 4 was good. It is a cosy room and one of my favourite as it has a large tub and is a very warm room (the sun reaches it all day long, more or less). As for the clean rooms and bathrooms. I do not employ staff as my standards are too high. We now have a smashing apartment in the city centre for up to four people which is near the Royal MIle so no bus is needed and it comes with the added bonus of a free car park beside it. Great place for people wanting to self-cater. Hope to see you again Wendy. Anne.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We stayed at Aynetree Guest House in July 2012, we went to Scotland for the honeymoon. It was a bit difficult to choose the place to stay butwe are sure that we had made the right choice.
The house is nice and cosy, Brian and Anne were veru helpful, we even recieved a bouquet of flowers when we arrived. The room was not too large but also very cosy. We had one with private bathroom. From the one hand you should go out of the room and come down for a few speps, but on the other hand the bathroom was so nice that we even made several photos! Breakfasts were very good. The only trouble was to come to the city centre by bus but it was not a big deal. We recommend Aynetree Guest house for everyone who values comfort and warm atmosphere!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria_Drozdova
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Maria, thank you for taking the time to write a review after such a long time. I loved the pictures that you took of our stairway. We do not have any pictures available of this area and it shows guests who book the double room with the private bathroom the route to the bathroom and how many stairs that there are. Thank you for that. I hope that you have both settled down to married life. Anne.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I came up for the rugby at the week-end and had a great time at the Aynetree Guest House. The place is ideally located for the city with the car park a great bonus. The bus connectioon to the city on Saturday morning was quick and we walked the last part to the stadium. Although it was only 2 nights we packed a lot in (pubs etc.) The place was clean and warm, breakfast was big and the 2 owners were really helpful. We have already said that we shall be back in 2 years time. Thanks Bryan and Ann

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5 and had no problem facing the front of the house. Had some sort of double glazi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2013

I am so glad that you had a good time and congratulations to Wales for winning the 6 nations. See you in two years time. Brian.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The Aynetree Guest House is a beautifully run B&B with hosts who obviously love their job, and enjoy telling people about the wonderful city of Edinburgh. We booked this B&B online, and were responded to very promptly by Brian, who is a wonderful host. He even sold us tickets for entry to the Castle, which helped avoid long lines at the entrance. He happily filled us in on all the best tourist sites, and made sure we had al the information we needed to use the public bus system. (Our bus trip was wonderful, with a young Scottish mother, singing nursery songs to her gorgeous son - her accent was delightful. I also liked the tartan upholstery in the bus!). We had the room with a separate bathroom along the landing. The bathroom was very well appointed and modern, but the sloping roof and shower over the bath (with no screen) made it a bit difficult for us to enjoy our showers, as we are both very tall people - minor problem, but one which could be addressed. Our room was very comfortable and clean, with tea/coffee facilities. We disappointed both Anne and Brian by declining the full Scottish breakfast (how do people eat so much so early in the day??!), but enjoyed the smaller breakfast we ordered. We would thoroughly recommend the Aynetree Guest House - very friendly, welcoming and pleasant. We didn't manage to get a park at the front of the Guest House, but our car was safe in a side street next to it. While you're in Edinburgh, make sure you go to the Taste of Scotland Show at The Stables, Prestonfield - amazing! Would definitely stay at Aynetree again - wonderful experience.

Room Tip: If you're tall, don't take the room with the separate bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
brianpolo, Owner at Aynetree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed the guest house and your trip up North. Yes, the trip is supposed to be very good and the bus picks you up from our guest house which is great and saves bus fare or a taxi into town. As for the bath tub in room 4 which is a bathroom separate from the room. I would not recommend this bathroom to anyone wishing a shower as it is only a hand held shower and good for running over your hair. It is really for people who want to have a bath and funny enough it is popular enough as many people like to soak on a bath after a day walking around. I hate baths, for one, and I can undrerstand the difficulty in trying to use it for any other reason than hair washing. This is why is it very important to read the room description when booking a room. Unfortunately, we cannot put a separate shower in this room as it has a sloped ceiling. We have looked into this as it would be better for our guests to have a shower and a bath in this room. Sorry about that. As for the tickets to the castle. We are the only guest house in Edinburgh who can sell tickets to the guests (same price) and avoid up to one hour wait in high season. There are the large hotels who sell them but we are the only guest house. We have many a guest who have thanked us for saving them an hour or so. You simply hand the voucher to the man at the gate (walking past all the people) and walk on in. I suppose you could pretend that you are a VIP. We hope to see you again some time.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

What a place; what an experience. We stayed at this guest house over the new year period and found it absolutely brilliant. Anne and Brian are wonderful and looked after our every need from providing a brochure on what was happeing in the city to having a late breakfast on new year's morning. The location was ideal because the free late bus after the bells went straight to the guest house as my wife was a bit 'under the weather'. The place was a bit dear; but what can you expect at that time of year. Apart from that, the house was above our dreams. As for Edinburgh - we would come and stay here permanently if I could afford it. The new year experience; the people; the culture is superb. Shall come back some time in the future. Best wishes for 2012 - Tony

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Tony, I am so glad that you had a great time at the New Year. You certainly had loads of energy and covered a lot of ground. Your run up Arthur's seat was done in record time. You made me exhausted just talking to you about it! Such energy. I am away for a lie down..