“Overall a pleasant experience”

Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #27 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Overall a pleasant experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This was our third visit to Edinburgh and the first time at this hotel and overall we were pleased. We decided to upgrade to a superior room which was worth it for the extra space as we were there for over a week. The bathroom was clean and spacious.

The hotel is in a good location—about 10 minutes walk to the Royal Mile. The staff friendly and courteous.

Breakfasts were good, there was an ample selection and the food was hot. My only criticism was that the haggis was too dry—possibly because it was not as popular and there was not the same turnover. We ate at the hotel most nights and in general the food was very good.

Room Tip: A superior room gives you a lot more space
1 Thank LoveTravel063

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Me and my boyfriend booked here for my birthday and we loved it. When we arrived the receptionist gave us a free upgrade to a superior room which I am glad as I walked past one of the smaller rooms which was tiny. The room was lovely and spacious. After we had went out for dinner we came back and the night porter was on the bar which was good as we got drinks from him. Only bad thing was that we were not reminded that the check out was 11 and not 12 so a hotel worker barged into our room while we were still sleeping, also the tv was rather small and the room was a bit dusty but over all good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Having stayed here after it had not long opened, we opted to book again after having such a lovely experience 1st time round!! We checked in and were upgraded to a Superior Room, which was very nice of them, The Receptionist had to call another guest to get the parking card from him to allow us access to the car park, there are approx 6 spaces, we were lucky to get the last space, It costs £15 for a 24 hour stay, which we though reasonable for being so close to the Royal Mile. When we arrived in our room, it was big but as previous comments stated, badly stained carpets, one of the glasses was dirty! the bathroom was very limited on soap, shower gel, no shampoo or conditioner, only 1 set of towels, I found another set in the wardrobe!! No towel to stand on when coming out of the bath!! Such a shame as the upgrade didn't live up to our expectations. We slept well in the big comfy bed, Breakfast was served til 10am, we went down at 9.20am and was shown to a table, we went up to the self serve breakfast, I managed to get a few things but they were dry & overcooked, I had to eat on my own as my husband ordered a fried egg which took about 12 mins to come to the table!! The food wasn't replenished while we were there, so anyone coming down after us, would most definately be disappointed at what was on offer. Its a pity we never experienced the same as we did on our 1st stay!!

1 Thank Kax44
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I'd stayed in this hotel which is owned by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, about 5-6 years ago when I'd visited Edinburgh on a conference and liked it - so thought I'd try it again. But I was disappointed - it has become tired and shabbier in the intervening years. Didn't help that we were given a disabled person's bedroom - loved the bathroom last time! Front of house service was excellent but the breakfast, whilst extensive and only £8 extra, involved cooked items (bacon, sausage etc) which had been sitting under lights for a while - hard bacon and haggis which had dried to a crisp. Altogether a bit of a let-down. I'll let the surgeons keep it for themselves in future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We’ve previously stayed here about 2 years ago. We had no complaints about our stay at that time and I have no real complaints this time. However, I wasn’t impressed.

Some things do seem to have been added since our last stay, as they now offer room service including a full breakfast in your room. On our previous stays there was no room service menu and the only breakfast you could have in the room was a selection of breakfast rolls. We didn’t sample the food though, so I can’t comment.

The place looks a bit run down and grubby, especially in the public areas. We stayed in a superior room which was spacious enough but the carpets were dirty and the place had a general air of being uncared for.

In general, it’s an adequate hotel with decent enough rooms, but there are none of the extra touches or even the basics that I would expect from a hotel in this price range. The quality simply doesn’t match the price and I’d describe it as a travel lodge dressed up with some nice furnishings.

We stayed here because it was so close to the Pleasance Courtyard where we were seeing some shows and we paid £215 through booking.com for an overnight stay (room only) Having previously stayed in places like Tigerlily for around the same price, there’s just no comparison. It feels soulless and tired.

Manchester
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This was the third time that I had stayed at Ten Hill Place and it is my favourite hotel in Edinburgh, especially at Fringe time as they are located near many of the venues. We had one of their superior rooms, which are worth the extra cost, which had lots of room and for once the bathroom occupants could not be seen from the bed (I hate the glass bathroom doors which are not trendy anymore!). The staff are friendly and the breakfast good but a bit over-cooked.
They serve food but in the two weeks that we were there the menu did not change and with my wife being a veggie the options were reduced so we only ate in the hotel once. There are so many alternative places to eat nearby.
I asked to see one of their suites as I was considering booking it for next year but they never got back to me.
My only complaint about the room is that they don't have a fridge (the suites do, apparently) but you can get ice from the bar on request.
For some reason the room was cleaned at totally different times each day and on two occasions not at all.

Room Tip: Ask for superior room not overlooking the street.
north east Hampshire
Reviewed 1 September 2012

A very last minute trip, the hotel has parking (£15 per day, it is secure, but tight to get into) The hotel is clean, friendly, good breakfast (we chose to include this in our bill, they charge £9.50 for it). We found the bed to be rock solid - why do hotels mistake firm for comfortable? Only one soap, 2 shampoos, never replenished - neither was the tea or milk until we asked. Like LostinBritain, I thought that the hotel was pricey. We stayed 3 nights.

One of my rants is that hotels pay their room service staff are so poorly paid, and have so little time to clean that it affects the guests experience. Our room was vaccuumed in the middle, but not around the edge - the bead that a previous guest had dropped was still there when we left. The slivers of glass in the bathrooom (again not caused by us) were cleared up after I asked. When you charge this amount, give the cleaners time to do their jobs thoroughly.

Room Tip: We were in room 219 - it was quiet.