“Nice and clean. But clinical”

Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #25 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice and clean. But clinical”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Can't fault the place but personally can't see anyone having a drink in the "waiting room" style bar or even going into the clinical and cold restaurant. Place was very clean and comfortable. Staff were good. Just couldn't see myself staying again unless on business.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louth L
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your feedback. Your comments regarding hotel cleanliness, comfort and the quality of our team members are most welcome. I also appreciate that taste and opinion is very subjective when commenting upon interior design and décor.

I do hope that we may welcome you back again whether for business or pleasure.

Chris & Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed 26 June 2014

As a birthday treat I paid for my partner and I to visit Edinburgh. Driving from the south of England we took a slow journey, stopping half way overnight at a Premier Inn for which we paid £29.

When we arrived at Ten Hill Place the following day after a long drive, I parked outside and went to reception to ask where I could park the car. The lady on reception confirmed my booking, then gave me directions to the hotel's limited car parking area. As there is no direct access from car park to hotel, she advised me to leave all the luggage in reception. My partner is registered blind, and so to avoid the walk from the car park remained in reception with our luggage while I was given an electronic key to gain access to the car park. During this short exchange I was told twice that she must have the key back IMMEDIATELY. I had just left my partner and luggage checking in, where did she think I would go with it? However in the two minutes I was gone to park the car she insisted that she had to have a credit card to cover any extra costs at once. My partner explained that I was paying for the hotel and would provide my card when I returned, but she insisted that she could not wait and had to have a card right now, insisting that my partner hand over his own credit card. I returned while she was processing the card, thus saving her about 30 seconds of her precious time.

When we arrived at our room, it was clean, but shabby - one of the lights at the side of the bathroom mirror did not work, the wardrobe door and desk all had a number of chips and scratches. Also the bathroom door is a strange choice of glass, mostly frosted but with several clear strips. For a couple this is not a problem, but not very convenient for two friends who choose to share a room.

Housekeeping seems somewhat chaotic. When going to and from breakfast the lifts and corridors become an obstacle course - yes I know all hotels have cleaners with trolleys, especially in the mornings, but I have not normally found them so inconvenient. Plus, I left the hand towel hanging on the rail beneath the basin in the bathroom on the first morning. We returned to find it had been removed, and not replaced. I found a second hand towel in the wardrobe which I then hung on the rail for the remainder of our stay, but I don;t understand what possessed someone to remove a virtually unused towel and not replace it.

Next comes the matter of breakfast - choice is adequate but not exceptional (as a vegetarian I had no complaints), but the breakfast rom is far too crowded and chaotic. We were invariably seated at the far end of gthe room from the buffet, and despite the fact my partner walked with his white stick in one hand and a plate of food in the other, no one made any concession to this and he frequently had to dodge chairs, other customers, and busy waitresses. If you go for the cooked breakfast make sure you order fried eggs long before you plan to eat - we made the mistake of choosing sausages, beans, mushrooms etc from the buffet, but fried eggs are coked to order and brought to your table. By the time they arrived we had finished most of our food.

And was it worth it? I paid around £115 per night at Ten Hill Place. This is how it compared to the Premier Inn the previous night for £29

Room size - Smaller then Premier Inn
Bed Size - Smaller then Premier Inn
TV size - smaller then Premier Inn
TV access- Ten Hill Place provides basic Freeview (no HD), Premier Inn provides Basic Freeview but includes HD channels
Breakfast - More choice at Ten Hill Place and better cooked, but available from a later tme in the morning
Service - Undoubtedly better and friendlier at Premier Inn
Wi-Fi - 30 minutes per day at Premier Inn, unlimited at Ten Hill Place

So unless you need unlimited WiFi save yourself some money and go to a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your highly valuable and constructive feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with the team members.

We do wish to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Our room was large with multiple chairs and a lounge in addition to the king sized bed. The location was great just up the street from North Bridge leading to the Royal Mile but offset from the busses and traffic. Breakfast was ridiculously expensive but there are many spots within a couple blocks. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for commenting upon the space and comfort of your room. Our location is an excellent choice for both leisure and business travellers alike.

Our great Scottish breakfast is keenly priced and regularly reviewed alongside our competitors pricing and offer. We have an excellent choice of over 40 items, including cold cuts, cheeses, freshly prepared fruits, juices, pastries, preserves, Nutella, Marmite, cereals, yoghurt, breads and of course the full Scottish breakfast with eggs cooked to order. The buffet can be visited as often as you wish.

You do say that you would definitely stay again, that is a fantastic compliment indeed, thank you.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Westgate on Sea
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We were given a corner disability room( room 109) this was without consultation.The room overlooked a dirty alleyway. When we tried to get into bed the mattress had a large, and I mean large, depression with the springs sticking through just below the pillow end. We tried to sleep but that was impossibly uncomfortable as the mattress was not fit for purpose anymore. Springs were sticking up all over it. In the end at 11.30pm we had to call reception and two chaps came and turned the mattress over and around, they said we couldn't change rooms as they were full. They were friendly and agreed about the bed, I asked them to inform management of the problem.
In the morning nothing was mentioned at all until I bought it up on checkout at 10.15 am when the receptionist said she ' had heard about that ' and was ' sorry' and that we didn't need to pay for our newspaper or breakfast( which was in the room rate we had paid anyway). We were on a deadline to catch a train otherwise we would have asked to see the manager at this point. It's a pity the manager didn't take the opportunity to talk to us, he had plenty of time. We are very disappointed and is the first time we have ever felt the need to complain on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Guest C
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Naturally it is disappointing to learn of your dissatisfaction so late at night. It was unfortunate that we were unable to provide a room move as it would have been our most sincere wish to have been able to provide you with an immediate solution. I was somewhat happier to read that the night team were friendly and able to provide assistance to help resolve the matter.

Room 109 is an exceptionally spacious bedroom which has been adapted to welcome guests with extra needs and is very much appropriate for use by all. The room does overlook our small car park and not a dirty alleyway.

The mattress is what is known in the hotel industry as a zip and link which allows us to be flexible accommodating double or twin bedded accommodation requirements. The depression in the mattress can be visible when sheeted and made up. I have had the opportunity to examine the mattress which is a little over eighteen months old and find that it is in good condition. I fully appreciate that mattress styles and levels of firmness are a very personal preference. I am sorry and do apologise that you were inconvenienced.

On the morning of your departure at the particular time I would have been assisting with breakfast, most naturally I would have been delighted to meet with you in person, you do mention that you were pressing to catch a train. I am sorry that I was unable to meet with you. Not wishing to be inconvenient as it was the weekend, I would not ordinarily contact a guest early in the morning unless requested to do so.

I do hope that we may welcome you back to our hotel in the future to enjoy a more memorable stay for all the right reasons.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Certainly not a wow experience. Bathroom although clean had one mirror light burned out and grab bar / rail into the Bath was coming detached from the wall and small traces of black mould as well as tile discoloration in the corners. The inside of window frames and sheer / net curtains have also been left untouched for quite a period. Skirting boards particularly corners and behind chairs / bed etc. had not been touched for quite some time. Even basics untouched, thick dust on mirror / picture frames.

The duty Receptionist was apologetic when I presented her with the sock (from a previous occupant which was left in fairly plain view just under the TV stand) and did offer to advise the duty manager and move us while providing a drink in the bar, I politely declined as that wasn’t going to rectify the underlying issue and quite frankly all that was needed was some remedial corrective action to put things right, so after leaving for the evening (dinner with friends) I asked for the room to be serviced in the hope that such a request would be actioned.

Apart from a heavy smell of cleaning chemical and / or air freshener, it was clear that there is little or no supervised training or tiered / staged room cleaning processes as nothing had changed. I am a professional Hotelier and perhaps have a more critical eye however I have never complained about housekeeping standards at any hotel in the world (I stay in a lot) and while I wouldn't expect a full deep spring clean after each and every occupant, if such deep cleans and full maintenance checks were programmed in for various maid sections on a rotational basis, many if not all of my observations could have been avoided.

Finally (and it’s not a question of the money itself), to be told ‘oh there is an additional charge’ if you choose to pay with a credit card as opposed to a debit card really kind of says it all about the Guest satisfaction and the actual attention to any real Hospitality ethic. The vague connection being referenced by this hotel (pretty much everywhere) to the ‘Royal College of Surgeons’ probably doesn’t do that institution any favours.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was very happy to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

Naturally I was disappointed to read your feedback relating to housekeeping and do wish to offer my personal apologies for any shortcomings. This is certainly not reflective of the significant number of other reviews praising the cleanliness throughout the hotel. I will of course will discuss the matters in detail with the housekeeper. As a fellow professional hotelier I would have sincerely wished and welcomed the opportunity to discuss and address your concerns in person.

Our connection to The Royal College of Surgeon's, Edinburgh is not vague, we are proudly owned and associated with the college. All of our profits are invested back in to their core business activity for the provision of training, study and examination in many surgical disciplines of surgeon's worldwide.

Once again thank you for sharing with us. Your valuable and constructive comments are received in the spirit of learning and making the necessary improvements to our operation.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent five nights here and were very satisfied every night. Very modern decor, excellent bathroom amenities (although the lavatory door is completely clear glass). Good WiFi connectivity. Excellent location medium walking distance between different tourist attractions. We never tried their restaurant / lounge as they weren't vegetarian-friendly, but there are plenty of other great options nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your 5* review and positive comments upon our décor, location and free WiFi. It's highly pleasing to read that you enjoyed your five nights with us.

The bathroom doors in the bedrooms are frosted glass. All of our menus have vegetarian options, most certainly it would have been our pleasure to prepare and cook something else for you had we been aware.

I do hope that we may welcome you back again sometime in the future.

Glasgow
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I had an overnight stay here last Saturday.We had a free upgrade to a suite which was a lovely surprise as it was our wedding anniversary. Fantastic views from our room, we could see right over to the Firth of Forth.Huge, comfortable bed, plenty of space in the room, we even had bathrobes and slippers. Everything spotlessly clean and no noise at all during the night. Extremely pleasant, friendly, helpful staff, special mention to Jodie who served our breakfast. Plenty of choice at breakfast which was absolutely delicious. Great location, a 10 minute walk from Princes Street. We will certainly be going back for another visit in the future and we will recommend Ten Hill Place to friends and family. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlasgowLizandphil
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Your review, comments and recommendation are highly appreciated and very welcome - thank you very much. Very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Jodie will no doubt be delighted to have had your personal recognition.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again sometime soon.