“Nice and comfortable”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bern, Switzerland
“Nice and comfortable”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived the same day in Edinburgh by plane and we arrived with a taxi at the hotel. (a bit far from the airport but very close to the city!)

The staff was nice and the room very stylish and well equipped, even with AC!
The bed was comfy and we were happy to get into a nice bed after the flight.
The Bathroom was clean and well presented as well.

The only thing that stopped me from giving a 5-rating is the very bright light from the street.
The bedroom is equipped with heavy drapes, so that is no problem but the bathroom is just equipped with a translucent sunrollo and the bathroom door is made of glass, so it shines directly into the bedroom.
I had trouble falling asleep because of this, but i guess if you're tired enough or use a sleeping mask, then there's no problem.

2 Thank Stefan G
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your great comments and feedback, they are appreciated.

I do wish to welcome you back in the near future.

Chris & Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in the superior room, the room was nice although not worth the money I had no bath and I asked to be changed rooms I was told by the staff if I wanted a bath I would need to downgrade I was not very happy with this shower curtain was not very clean and few marks in the room with a stain on the bedding. Bed was also 2 single beds put together for a superior room I would of expected a king or queen size bed. No fridge I have stayed in a 4 star hotel before and had more to offer than this room. We stayed for breakfast also and breakfast was fine good choice of food although were not offered a top up of tea when we asked we were gave a pot of tea no more milk I wasn't going to ask again in all fairness place was nice.

Room Tip: I can't c why superior room is any diff from a normal basic room in this hotel to be honest
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. We wholly appreciate your positive comments and most naturally will share your other comments with the appropriate teams.

Indeed you were allocated a superior room, the room in particular is exceptionally spacious and has a wet room instead of a bath, at the time of your stay all other superior rooms were occupied and in order to satisfy your request the option would have been to stay in a standard room equipped with a bath. I have instructed the housekeeper to check all shower curtains and replace where required.

The beds in your room are commonplace in the hotel industry and are known as zip and link, these types of beds allow us to offer flexible accommodation to those requiring twin or double bedded accommodation. When in double configuration they equate to a super king size bed. I appreciate your comments that there was no fridge in your room, within our four star grading this is not requisite. I have shared your breakfast comments with the restaurant team.

I do wish to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Quick efficient check-in. Staff was nice, cooperative, and helpful. The hotel room itself was quite large and comfortable (We were in the superior rooms- room 504). There was free wifi, although service was slow. The Scottish breakfast served there was delicious. The only problem I had was that the bathrooms were too close to the beds and the door was opaque. Consequently, the only suggestions I have are to change the door styles to something not opaque nor transparent- so not glass. Also, it would help if wifi were faster. It's nice that it's free, but it's too slow. HOWEVER, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: higher floors add to quieter rooms and a better view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your highly positive comments, I will be sure to share them with the team. You say that you would definitely return to our hotel, this is a great compliment which is highly appreciated.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Quick efficient check in. Lovely girl on desk, who was very informative. Found the room to be poorly designed. The wardrobe mirror was inside, but due to bed position couldn't be opened fully. The window looked onto a parking area. Most bizarrely, the toilet door was opaque, and overlooked front the bed. I have been with my husband over thirty years, and am fairly broad minded. Some dignity should be preserved on a romantic break, I and have no desire to observe his toilet habits any more then he mine!! Only one bottle of Luke warm water is provided in a double room, and the shower gel and shampoo, although very nice, were again insufficient for two. The bath water was only Luke warm, and the air conditioning insufficient. We did feel nevertheless that we got a reasonable deal through hotwire, and were prepared to overlook it.

Clearly no fault of the hotel, but unfortunately after little sleep due to builders next door, and deliveries through night, we were too exhausted to enjoy the following day to the full. Reception were very understanding and agreed without question our request to move. The second room was much better designed, and more spacious overlooking the crescent. We had a very comfortable nights sleep.

We never ate or drank in the hotel. The bar and restaurant were quite small and lacked ambience, but I heard the breakfast is exceptional, and there are plenty of places nearby if it's not what you're looking for.

The station and mile are about 20 minute walk. Again, no fault of the hotel but we planned a visit to the surgeons museum next door, which I was looking forward to, and was the basis of choosing a hotel in this proximity,but it is closed for major renovations until 2015. As it is owned by the royal college of surgeons, we would have found it would be useful to explain this on their website

I've stayed in much better three and four star hotels, and probably wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Avoid 314, poorly designed with no view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your feedback and comments which I will share with he team for action and improvement. Generally it would appear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and note your positive comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a friends wedding that was just round the corner. The hotel is in a great position for going into the centre only a few minutes walk to the royal mile. A taxi to the train station is only a fiver. The hotel was spotless and the room compact with nice decor. The bar downstairs has a decent selection of drinks which I would say were a bit overpriced over £12 for a white wine and soda and a rum and coke. We had breakfast included which consisted of a hot and cold buffet. The dining room was far too small for the amount of tables and it felt like you had to step over people to get to your seat. The hotel staff were all very friendly and accommodating. I enjoyed my stay and would use the hotel again because it has a great location.

• Stayed July 2014
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Your comments and feedback are most welcome and appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed at Ten Hill Place one Saturday night after a show and dinner. It was reasonably priced and in a great location. Pretty basic in the way of hotels but the room was spacious and immaculate. It was perfect for just the one night and I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your review and feedback. You say you will definitely return, that is a great compliment.

We do hope to welcome you back sometime soon!

Chris & Team
warrington
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights for my wifes graduation from the Royal College of Surgeons and as it is their hotel I was expecting big things at £130 per night. We stayed for 3 nights and to be fair the hotel was spotless and ideally located for the ceremony but overpriced I would say by £50 per night. Our price didnt include breakfast and as a location for the city it was only ok. You could get a 4 star hotel closer to the city which is 15 mins walk for less money and get breakfast. The rooms are ok but very clean, but there the bed was on the small size.
Next door building work commenced at 7.40am each day and so no lying in bed and we had no view to speak of. Good points they do a two course al a carte for £12.95. Bad points expensive bar and it resembled a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Stay a little closer to Princes st where there is more going on.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
THP M, General Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your comments and feedback especially those relating to cleanliness throughout the hotel. Our pricing is certainly reflective and closely monitored to that of our competitors. Just like our competitors we do offer a choice of different rates and packages which include breakfast or dinner or room only in order to suit different guest needs.

Our location is only a fifteen minute walk to Princes Street and is less than a two minute walk from one of the main city bus routes. So many other guests comment very positively upon our location being ideal.

It sounds like you were able to take advantage of and enjoy our keenly priced pre-theatre menu. I have to disagree with your comment that No.10 Wine Bar is expensive and resembles a Holiday Inn Express.