“Warm, Cosy and Welcoming”

Granville Guest House
Ranked #306 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Warm, Cosy and Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2007

Myself and my partner booked in to stay at the Granville in September 2007 for a short weekend break in Edinburgh.

On arrival we were greeted by the manager who led us to our en-suite bedroom. He was extremely welcoming and even offered to help with our bags. The house was a large Victorian building with stunning period features which we both really liked. Big high ceilings and lovely large windows.

The room was clean, comfortable and homely. We were heading out that evening and hadnt been to Edinburgh before so when we asked about transport etc the manager was extremely helpful. We had an amazing night in Edinburgh.

At breakfast the manager asked what we would like and made us feel very comfortable and like valued customers. It was busy and everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay there.

Myself and my partner really had a pleasurable experience here. The house was clean and pretty. The food was fresh and served timely. The staff were warm and welcoming.

A great representation of a lovely friendly Scottish Guest House.

We will definately return.

Maria & Dave

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Mariadave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
North West Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

We booked at the Granville Guest House on-line in December 06 as we were going to the Edinburgh Festival in August 07 and wanted to book the accommodation early.

The photos on the Scottish Tourist board website looked very nice but when we arrived and were shown to our room we were not at all happy. The double en-suite was very small, the en-suite taking up a third of the room. The bed just fit into the space left between the en-suite and the wall.

The bathroom had a false ceiling and above it were cobwebs and a lack of wallpaper. The carpet under the side tables next to the bed had a thick layer of dust, obviously the cleaner didn't bother to move the tables to vacuum!

The was a full length mirror propped up against the radiator not ever fastened on the wall.

The tea making facilities were poor. They had to be positioned on the windowsill as there was no dressing table. The kettle was full of lime scale and needed replacing.

The shower had mould in the corner and down the tiles.

I went to find the owner to ask if we could change rooms. We were at the back of the guest house and the rooms at the front looked lightly better.

The owner asked why I wanted to change rooms and I said that the one we had was not clean. His response was 'ok' and walked off.

The breakfast was basis with little choice. I asked for bacon but they said they didn't do bacon. One tea bag in a teapot for two - it was just hot water!

On returning to our room on the third night the door was not shut properly. Probably the cleaner had not locked it - nothing was missing but we were not happy.

We would have moved to another guest house if it had not been the festival and accommodation is difficult to find. We didn't know whether we would still have to pay the full amount even if we lleft early so we had little choice but to stay.

We checked out on the last morning and not a word from the owner such as ' was everything ok?' 'did you enjoy your stay?'.

We paid £90 per night for a double en-suite - never again.

• Liked — Only 20 minutes from Edinburgh city centre.
  • Disliked — The room (dirty), the breakfasts ( basic)
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Mizzymae

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife had already booked our 1 night stay at the Granville Guesthouse in Edinburgh before I saw this site. Already paid for it as well, so because of the other reviews I was wondering what to expect.
We found it very good!!
When we arrived the minimal carparking facility was full, but the owner moved his own car somewhere else so we could park next to the front door.
He was very warm and welcoming. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small, as they all are in these old converted houses, but we weren't in Edinburgh to enjoy the bathroom facilities, so who cares! The shower was fine.
Breakfast in the morning was also fine. The owner again was very friendly and made sure we were enjoying breakfast.
Lovely big windows at the front. Road noise wasn't a problem.
We walked into Edinburgh in about 20 minutes. We chose to get a taxi back though as it was late.
Recommended if your looking for a nice B&B that's good value.

• Liked — Great service, good price.
  • Disliked — Not as close to Edinburgh city centre as you'd like.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank carmichj
Geneva
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2007

I booked in July 2006 a three nights stay by e-mail, for October 2006. The reservation was secured by my credit card number, which was given by phone to the manager.

Due to a reservation mistake by the manager, I spent only one night in that guest house.

At the end of my three days stay, I returned to the Granville Guest House to pay the only night I spent. I paid the night cash to the manager. He made me a written receipt and, in front of me, he cancelled the night already charged on my credit card, and gave me the printed refund.

About two months later, my credit card account statement showed me that the night was charged nevertheless.

I contacted the credit card company, which refunded me the amount. However, the company didn't tell me about what happened with the guest house.

Therefore, I wrote to the manager of the Granville Guest House to get some explanations about what happened.

The manager never replied to my mails.

Then, I informed the Scottish Tourist Board of what happened with their member, but they replied that they won't do anything.

I think he tried to charge me twice for the same night, once by cash, and a second time later by charging my credit card, thinking I won't check my account statements.

The room where I spent one night was correct. It was located on the ground floor, and I didn't see other ones.

Despite that, I strongly discourage potential customers to do credit cards transactions with that guest house, and if a credit card is used anyway, check carefully your accounts statements, even several months later.

Additionally, the price of 35 sterling pounds is extremely expensive for that kind of room.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The manager's behavior
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
3 Thank MeepMeepGVA
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2006

My partner and I had booked a double room with ensuite having contacted the guesthouse directly via email. We booked in March for an August stay (because you have to book early if you are going during the Edinburgh Festival) after looking at the website, which is very good and makes the guesthouse look beautiful.

Unfortunately when we were led to our room it was nothing like the description. I like a firm bed, but this one was rock hard and very uncomfortable with a metal bar round it which is reminiscent of hospital beds, the TV did not work, the towels provided were clearly very old because they were pulled and quite abrasive, the decor was dated and the kettle was on the floor! The worst thing, however, was there was no ensuite!

We asked to speak to the manager who was out, so we had no choice but to wait until he arrived. The shared bathroom was up the stairs on the next floor and the toilet chain didn't pull properly, so it was permanently blocked with paper and all manner of things. To the managers credit he was very apologetic, but it turned out that we had accidentally been booked into this room for all 4 nights of our stay and he didn't have any ensuite rooms left, so couldn't move us.

My partner and I couldn't face staying there at all on this basis, so we spent a frantic day trying to find a hotel with availability rather than enjoying our holiday, but we were certainly glad that we did. When we returned to the guesthouse to collect our cases, we were again informed that the manager was out!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The tired and dated decor. Bad facilities.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there!!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank carriemarie