“Edinburgh Fringe Festival- Great Guest house!”

Swan Lake Guest House
Swan Lake Guest House
Ranked #180 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Edinburgh Fringe Festival- Great Guest house!”
Reviewed 11 September 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights for the Edinburgh Fringe festival, as part of a month long trip of Europe. We mostly stayed in higher class hotels, but that was impossible to get here in August! I emailed every bed and breakfast in Edinburgh, looking for something available. I found three (out of 80+ emailed) that still had a room, and I chose this one because of the location. It was a short bus ride to the castle, about 10-15 minutes. It was also a good price, considering the time we went.

Given that there were no reviews, I was weary of what we would find. The couple who checked us in, Bryan and Su, were incredilbly nice. We had ordered tickets to the military tattoo, and they had given us permission to have them sent to their house. Well, they hadn't arrived, so right away they asked us if we wanted to use their home pc to cancel the purchase. We did get our money back, and they told us where to go to find other tickets (they were sold out). We found someone where they said, and got them at face value.

They also brought out some maps, and the fringe guides, and helped us so much with everything we wanted to do and see. If you want to do a tour of the highlands, they have a bus tour what will pick you up outside theitr house- grayline tours. I would recommend this. We did the tour with scottish tours, and weren't satisfied. Using Grayline for other tours though, I can say they're good.

The room was a double. It was small, but it did have a working tv! It also had tea facilities, and a wardrobe. Outside the room was a book shelf, with some books- I actually borrowed one for the night, to read a little. Decor wasn't hotel-chic, but this IS someone's house. I found it very comfortable and cute. There was a large window looking out into the garden/backyard. There was no air conditioning, so we ended up leaving this open.

The washroom was clean and modern. We didn't get the ensuite, so we had to share, but this was never an issue. The bed was fairly comfortable. We managed to get a good nights sleep. There wasn't much noise- one night we did hear some noisy people come in to their room next door, but that can't be helped.

Also, I didn't expect it, but breakfast was included. This was toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, and beans or tomatoes (they give you a choice card when you arrive, pick what you want). They also have cereals, juice, and incredibly good coffee. It's funny how hard it is to find good american coffee in Europe. the dining room had several tables, mismatched, for people to eat. It was really homey and comfortable, There is also a beautiful family picture up in the dining room.

Overall, if I were to go back (and I hope I will!) I'd stay here again. I would pay the extra 5 pounds to have my own bathroom, just for the convenience of not needing to bring my toothpaste in every time. But it was a great stay, and I hope to go back.

• Liked — The owners, who were very accomodating. The location is also nice- a good residential area, but clsoe to town,
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy the day bus pass for 2.30, instead of 1 each way.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Misty J

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)