“Awful Place To Stay”

Edinburgh House Hotel
Ranked #359 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This was a reasonably price B&B, but after having stayed there, I wished I had paid extra money and stayed at a "brand" hotel. The list of things which I didn't like about this B&B seems to be endless, but the cracked tiles on the bathroom floor is just the start of it. The staff had a very poor grasp of English language and the place struck me as a sort of hostel for foreigners coming into the country for the first time to find work and who would stay here until they could find a permanent place to live.

The flooring outside our bedroom door was loose and I thought I was going to put my foot through the flimsy flooring. The window frames had holes in them. The carpets were filthy. No hairdryer in the room

I don't want to grind on and on, however, the one positive was the comfy bed.

The place was like a dirty rabbit warren.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked this hotel because it was cheap and near the Arts Centre I was doing a vintage fair at the following morning.
As far as I'm told this is central to the city so good if you're planning on sight seeing.
They allowed late check in the first time I stayed here and did not charge, however the second time I needed late check in, when I turned up (admittedly 12am-ish) they whacked a charge on (I think £10-15) which was disappointing.
As for the room, visit #1 I has thee smallest room known to man though it was comfortable, very modern and had an ensuite. Visit #2 the room was massive, again very comfortable and clean.
I would definately stay here again (though I'd consult re: the late check in fee..)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We booked one nigh for a room to sleep 4 people for £68. I'd never been to Edinburgh, but that was the cheapest I could find within walking distance. The room was suitable for the needs of sleeping and had a bathroom attached to it. Only about a 15/20 min walk to the city center. Upon arrival, the receptionist was very friendly and answered all my questions about things to do in the city. Overall, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We booked here at the very last minute, and had a double room for five nights for less then £200. The room was small but suited us well. The en-suite shower and toilet were of a good quality. The bed was good, and we got a good night's sleep each night. Free-view digital TV is available in the room. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast is £5.00 per person and is of the continental variety. Location is good, about 20 minutes walk from the centre of Edinburgh (a large number of buses pass nearby). There is a good selection of restaurants, pubs and bars nearby. Ample free parking is available close to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank jacques p
Reviewed 11 May 2012

First impressions not good, general air of neglect about the place. Reception staff didn't seem to know what they were doing. I had to ask directions to my room as these were not forthcoming from reception, when I eventually found it, in the attic, room 15, the door was not secure, the yale lock was missing the snib to lock it from the inside. The open door touched the very narrow single bed. The bedding and towels appeared clean the tatty woodchip wallpaper was splattered with what looked like coffee, and not just around the kettle, all over.

I didn't stay or ask for another room as the whole place made me feel very uncomfortable. When I handed in my key the reception staff didn't even get off their seats, muttered something about a change of room, but didn't seem to care.

Room Tip: If you are not fussy about cleanliness or service then this is for you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Nine of us stayed for one night - 3 family rooms with 3 in each. The only good things to say about the hotel are that the beds were comfortable and the shower was great. The rooms did not seem to have been vacuumed or dusted at all. The crockery was missing or tatty - 1 teaspoon for 3 people. We had to ask for another set of towels as we were only provided with enough for two people. The security of the hotel is lacking - Room 32 on ground floor does not have a window latch so it does not lock. On checking out the man on reception was talking on the telephone and did not even acknowledge us. Overall a poor "hotel" - would not stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends