“Liars, thieves and left us out in the Scottish winter with no where to go. Currently under investigation.”

Edinburgh House Hotel
Ranked #359 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked a non-refundable "Basic Double Room with External Bathroom" for two people. What I was given was barely fit for one person and differed significantly from the advertised photos. I have attached both for comparison. The staff were very unhappy when I told them I took photos. There are 3 rooms sold at this rate, but the photos are of the nice 2. The receptionist admitted this.

They were fully booked so I asked for a refund. This was denied. I asked to speak to the manager. This was denied. I have asked to speak to the manager almost every day since Friday evening and it is now Tuesday morning. I have still not been contacted.

The room is attached to an adjoining room by a door with the handle removed (see pictures). This room definitely used to be a walk-in wardrobe. There isn't even a sign directing you to it, as they stop at room 29 (this is room 30). Apparently they have sold it for 3 years though.

When coming back that night with my girlfriend, the neighbour was incredibly noisy. The main problem was that the rooms are connected by a door, and hence zero sound insulation. I asked the man to turn down the loud rock music at 11 pm. He refused and slammed the door on my face. I knocked on the adjoining door and he then proceeded to kick it and yelled "I'm warning you, I'll add you to my list, I'll stomp on your head". The hotel cannot guarantee it has nice guests, but it is at fault here for not giving the guests sufficient privacy and sound insulation.

We then had no choice but to leave. We demanded a refund but this was refused. We asked for help finding another hotel. This was refused. We returned the key at Friday midnight and were left out on the Scottish winter with no hotel and out 128 pounds. We very luckily found one place for that night and a different place for the following two. These were the Craigmoss GuestHouse and the Granville Guest House. I highly recommend both of them, for both comfort and customer service. They are slightly more expensive but worth the money.

The following morning I was offered no empathy or refund or ability to talk to the manager. We were offered different rooms but already had other bookings and refused to stay there, particularly with a violent man threatening us. We left and finally enjoyed our weekend.

With no ability to contact the manager, I have had no choice but to initiate an investigation by booking.com and my bank UBS into this place for false advertisement and fraud. But, above all monetary concerns, my girlfriend and I were insulted and left out on the cold with no guaranteed accommodation.

Avoid this place at all costs, I am begging you. At a minimum, avoid Room 30.

Oh, and the wifi doesn't work and it's not very close to town and in a rough area.

Room Tip: By all means find another hotel. If you did book here, however, call ahead to make sure you didn'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AussieDave27

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed there for two nights. Check in went easy, got a first floor room with a double bed. All was clean, bathroom was perfect. Large window facing the street, with a great look on our car. Free parking on the street, and always plenty of free space. The room was worm, even it was freezing cold outside.
We gonna definitely stay there if we visit Edinburgh again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for the night with my two friends while in Edinburgh to see the Lion King. Room had a double bed and a single bed. There was plenty of room, bathroom was was clean and tidy and quite modern. Room was really warm considering it was freezing outside, we had the windows open all night. No complaints about night time noise but there wasnt any stag/hen parties etc staying while we were there. After 10pm there is no staff available and when we went to check out it was just the cleaning staff that was about so we were told just to leave the key on the table on the way out. City center was about a 15-20min walk away and a 5min taxi ride away. I would recommend staying here if your looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful close to the center to stay. Ive stayed in worse places that charged alot more. I would defo stay here next time i'm in Edinburgh

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank paula1710
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Simple hotel not so far from the city center. Stayed there for 3 night and was satisfied with the level of service.

Have not had a breakfast there so can say nothing about it. But there are a plenty of cafes to grab some food nearby.

Overall can recommend this hotel as a cheap option.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel was fine for 18 guys on a stag weekend, but I wouldn't stay here if it was with my family. Although the rooms are quite basic they are clean as was the en-suite facilities. We didnt book breakfast in advance and on a Saturday morning we inquired if we could have any were told it would be £10.00; we found a great cafe 5 mins away which was a fiver!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DCM-lincs
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Spent one night here and was really impressed with the room we had Room 36
Lovely Bathroom area and also the bedroom was really pleasant, staff were polite and really helpful
We arrived early and we asked if we could leave our baggage until our check in time, of which they agreed
Would stay here again

Room Tip: Room 36 for a Couples
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LancashireGray
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is shabby and the room my daughter and i had was up on the top floor.an offer of help with cases would have been nice.The room was tiny with just a window.in the roof.the walls were grubby and there was some sort of insect jumping on the bed.We were just glad it was a stop over and we didn't book breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family