“Makes Fawlty Towers no longer Fawlty”

Edinburgh House Hotel
Ranked #354 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Makes Fawlty Towers no longer Fawlty”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked this as a present for my mothers 70th Birthday. I'm aware the price wasn't over expensive and therefore didn't hold out hope for a palace. However...never expected to end up staying in such an unsafe and unfit for human use hotel!
On arrival the staff just about managed to speak English but not only this, they weren't very friendly either. Off we went up to our attic room, to which on the way up there the first incident was that I nearly went flying back down the stairs due to a lose part of the edge of one of the steps.
We get in to the room and first thing we noticed was how cold it was. Although radiators seemed to be on in the hallways, the one in our room wasn't.
The carpet looked filthy and didn't appear to have been hoovered for god knows how long. But hey ho...we thought we hadn't paid an awful lot and we were only staying two nights so stuck with it.
We went out for the afternoon and evening and came back to the room late that night soaking wet due to the rain. We thought perhaps the radiator will be on when we get back so we can dry out but no such luck.... the radiator was obviously out of order and the room very cold.
The first morning we decide to have a shower in what appeared to be a relatively clean bathroom...all be it apart from the dirty shower head and the sink that was cracked and had been glued back on...could have broken and fell at any time. Jumped in the shower and our next little surprise was the fact that the water would just go off every few seconds and come back on when it felt like it.
We then went down to the reception to complaint as to me I was entitled to some recompense. When advising the lady that the place wasn't fit for a human being to stay she actually agreed and said 'I know', which doesn't to me give anyone much confidence.
She didn't offer to help in anyway and didn't really want to know.
Suffice to say, if you want to stay in a hotel where you can barely swing a hamster around in your room, you don't want a shower during your stay, you don't mind being freezing cold and nearly flying down the stairs due to a badly maintained building then you are in the best place. If you do however want a shower and to feel warm, welcome and safe then please DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND DONT STAY HERE!!!! Really this place needs to be shutdown.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lynsey H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very good for a budget hotel, highly recommended. Room One seemed clean enough and tea/coffee making facilities clean and well presented. Bed was very comfortable and clean. Bathroom was modern and very nicely clean indeed. The only thing that stopped this from getting 5 star value for money was the cold water tap in the shower didnt work at all and the fault wasnt corrected during our 2 night stay, real shame as its an essential facility
Leaving aside the cold water problem, we wouldnt hesitate to recommend this for anyone looking for a budget place to stay and 25 mins to city centre wasnt a problem to walk it, although there are plenty of buses as an alternative
All credit to the cleaners, bless em, they did a grand job

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank realereview
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Realy good rooms,i work all around the country n stop at all kinds of hotels bnbs and this one is a 9/10,one of the good ones.its not far to go for food n pubs,theres also pleanty of parking around the place

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My advice? Don't stay here if you wish for a good nights sleep. We were rudely awoken at 6:50am to the sound of a hammer banging outside in the hall. The room was small, but we could deal with that for one night - but what was not the best was the door, it rattled and only had one loose lock.
The paintwork was cracked and tiles were still up in the bathroom, which also had a hole in the ceiling.
The reception was unprofessional and dust was everywhere, and the staff didn't really seem to care at all. The only good part of the stay here was the shower - it was nice, hot and powerful.
I would not stay here again and it has made me wary about staying at self proclaimed 3 stars again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights on a work trip, our room was huge and had everything you could possibly need, large clean bathroom, comfy double bed and bed settee, 2 televisions. It was especially good as the room was semi divided into 2, ideal when travelling with colleagues. One receptionist especially was amazingly helpful and went above and beyond the call of duty for us. Overall this hotel is far from posh, but it's close to the centre, and clean with amazing staff at a very reasonable price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
cumbria
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here February 2014 for two nights, after reading the reviews I was terrified by what I might find. The reception when we checked in was unwelcoming and dirty, cobwebs and dead spiders on show, the carpets looked like they had not seen a hoover in years. The paint was falling off the doors. We booked a double room with bathroom and it was actually not as bad as I dreaded it would be. The bed was comfy and we looked out onto the road and the park across the road, bathroom was ok and shower hot every time it was used.
I enjoyed my weekend in Edinburgh but will not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smithy30
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

When a few friends and I suddenly came into 5 tickets for the Scotland v England game in Edinburgh, I was charged with finding somewhere to stay. The remit from the lads (who'd paid £130 for train tickets) was i) In Edinburgh itself ii) good value (ie cheap) and iii) clean.

When I started looking on TA, I soon realised that this wasn't going to be easy - I would normally go for minimum 4 stars but they were coming up around £250 for a twin. To cut a long story short, I stumbled upon this place as they had a room sleeping 6 people and I thought "well, it is only one night"..

I called them direct and negotiated a fantastic price but we were all a little concerned about how decent it would be. It was fine, not the Ritz but clean and served it's purpose well. Why only 3 stars.? There was a party in the room above us until about 2.30am and somebody (must have been staff) opened the door to our room in the middle of the night until I shouted "Who's that.?!" - very strange, they'd have been brave to take on five big lumps.

It's a good mile and a half from Waverley Station but serves it's purpose quite well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends