The Hideout Cafe
Ranked #20 of 173 Coffee & Tea in Edinburgh
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We use Clifton roasters' coffee, we have great selection of Teapigs teas, amazing crusty sandwiches, homemade soups, salads and cakes... and healthy green smoothies too! Cozy little hideout to be discovered!
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I read a review about this cafe before I went and always like to try out new places so thought I would give this place a go and I'm glad I went.

On first impressions I felt very welcome with my 2 year old daughter, place to put the buggy at the door, offer to take the buggy up the stairs if I did not want to leave it there and a cabinet full of toys and books for her to play with while I had my coffee.

The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. The guy serving coffee was very freindly, talking to my daughter and asking about her. I gather he has kids around the same age.

Coffee was good quality and the soup was very impressive. I get the impression that all the food would be of similar standard.

I will be going again and fully expect to enjoy my visits many times.

1  Thank Clairmelville

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Have been going to Hideout regularly since it opened some weeks ago and love the place. Great coffee, teas and fantastic sandwiches etc with fresh tasty fillings. Good quality cakes - some made by Hideout staff are especially delicious. All staff are cheerful, friendly and willing to accommodate customer requests where they can - can't fault the place and hope they thrive as a great asset to the local coffee shop scene.

1  Thank RubyJesse
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you like your coffee bitter, your carrot cake dry and never having seen a vegetable let alone a carrot, and with sickly buttercream topping, this is the place for you. None of the cakes looked homemade but bought in from some local supermarket which puts to doubt their claim for 'home-made cakes.No t so much a cafe as a disaster with high prices!!!.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Having walked around Leith and got lost I was looking for a decent cafe. This one appealed and was pleasantly surprised. I only had a coffee but it was excellent and after reading the paper I made my way to Edinburgh city with guidance from a very helpful and efficient waitress. I could recommend this for drinks and from what I saw of the food too.

1  Thank DaveSMiltonKeynes
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Popped in to Leith a light lunch on a Sunday and found this new place. The sandwich and soup was much better than usual cafe fare. The sandwich as on interesting bread and full of interestingness amongst the halloumi and rocket. I also had a carrot and coconut soup which had a good complexity of flavour with indian spices. The place was busy but not full and the surroundings were suitably pleasant if you don't mind the trying too hard hipsters writing their novel, or whatever, on a macbook in the corner.

2  Thank Alex T