“Byrnes and beer, what more do you need?!”

Edinburgh Literary Pub Tour
Ranked #45 of 203 Tours in Edinburgh
Milan, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Byrnes and beer, what more do you need?!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was recently in Edinburgh doing a solo trip during Easter vacation and decided to do the Edinburgh Literary Pub Tour one Thursday evening, I couldn't have made a better decision! I was initially a little apprehensive that I would be the only single person on the tour and would have no one to really chat with but I ended up making friends with a variety of other people that evening. The tour guides/actors (Clart and McBrain) made us all feel so at ease that it was easy to jump in and take part in the fun. I definitely recommend this tour for anyone wishing to learn truly accurate information about some of Scotland's greatest authors, while also meeting new people and exploring the local pubs, best 12 pounds I ever spent!

2 Thank Gabrielle C

New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Pub Literary Tour was excellent... a beautiful evening under the stars and poetry”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I took the tour it was fabulous.. Cameron one of the actors started it off and was so entertaining... both actors were great... they really painted a great picture of the times the authors lived in and what Edinburgh was like then. So history and poetry a few songs even under the stars and a beautiful Edinburgh night... in April.. The pubs were great make sure you bring cash though some don't accept cards. The tour was really amazing quite romantic just what we were looking for.. I would say eat first as the tour gets over a bit later.. we ate at 9:00 ish and could only find an indian food resturant that was still serving... but over all we had a terrific night and would suggest to anyone looking for a bit of laughter history and real poetry...to take the tour..... they even do the poems in the scottish way and then in english so it gives you such a good feel of what they are all about. Thanks so much for such a great end to our week long trip through scotland.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A dose of Scottish literature - entertaining...”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Wasnt really sure what to expect from this tour but because my daughter is an english literature student so we decided what the heck. Something different. Did the booking online and went over to BeeHive Inn. The tour starts there with an explaination of what is going to happen. The two actors were excellent, very entertaining and informative. Yes I have heard of Burns, Scott and Stevenson but am not very familiar with their works. So was afraid that it wouldnt make sense but turned out you didnt have to be familiar as the tour really gives you a sense of what Edinburgh was like during these authors time and what influenced them in their work.

There are pub stops and one right outside the writers's museum. On a cold night like we had, the stops are great for coffee or even a pint of ale. Hubby was quite happy to be trying scottish ale at the pub. As a non-literature student, we started quite intimidated but it was great and for me personally summed up Edinburgh character .

Visited March 2014
Murwillumbah, Australia
“Terrific night in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wonderful night full of education, friendly people from all over the world and great beer. The actors were excellent and made for a fun night for all. Thoroughly recommend this tour.

Stratford, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Fantastic Evening”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A great tour; highly recommended. Actors were captivating and held everyone's interest the entire trek. A variety of writers/poets were discussed with various recitals in between pub breaks. The last pub did not accommodate the group (disappointing as it was a cold night) but the two actors made the best of their scene in an adjacent alley. Overall a great tour and great performers hosting the tour.

Visited March 2014