“Friendly, cozy, just what we expected!”
Review of Kenvie Guest House

Kenvie Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Kenvie Guest House
Ranked #252 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My friend and I stayed here for two separate nights and they were very flexible with us on our arrival times. The room was clean and the beds were good. We shared a shower and toilet with other people on the floor and found it clean as well, if not a bit small.

Easy to use WiFi.

Breakfast was yummy.

I would return!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 July 2011

My family and I recentley stayed at the Kenvie Guesthouse in Edinburgh Scotland. It is a lovely B&B on a quiet street just off Dalkieth Rd. Dorothy is a wonderful host and provides a great breakfast. This was another recommendation from Rick Steves and proved yet again to be a good one. They are very pleasant and accommodating and it is a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of the Royal Mile. I would recommend this wonderful B&B to anyone...couples, singles or families. Our stay was great!!!!

Stephen, Pam, Katelyn and Griffin Nelson

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2011

After phoning around last minute to find 2 rooms in a B&B in Edinburgh and being turned down by a good 10 beforehand, I was so pleased to talk to the very friendly owner of this B&B. The location was within walking distance of the city center - my parents' slow walk meant it took us about 20 minutes though I could have done it in half that time - we took a taxi back late at night for a few quid. The rooms were clean and comfy and the breakfast outstanding - great choice and quality and we loved the classical music in the background as we have found eating in silence in most B&Bs beforehand a bit strange... Filling in the list the day before was easily done and made things easier in the morning. We were very grateful for being able to have breakfast early so we could catch our flight. Overall, a lovely stay with parking, albeit on the street, but free and directly outside. We would definitely stay here again. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2010

While this place cannot be faulted on its cleanilness and location regarding peace and quite, yet close to bus routes, there was something fundamentally missing - a genuine feeling that you were actually welcome. We were told that we were welcome but we did not feel it.
While I do not like waste, I equally don't like to feel that everything has been measured down to the last teabag. And why does anyone think that I know what I want for breakfast at 5pm the day before? The form from which you select your breakfast is complicated beyond belief and reinforces the image that Scots don't like fruit, something I know not to be true.The cooked breakfast was served on such a small plate - I think to make you feel that you had more(!) - that it was sliding off. Oh dear.
If you want somewhere quiet and you're not bothered about the impersonality of the place you'll be fine here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TheScottishLady
dorothyvidler, Owner at Kenvie Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2010

What could possibly be missing? I have been welcoming guest into my home for the past 30 years and have been more than happy to do so. In that time have never ever felt I have been impersonal with anyone as guest satisfaction is my top priority.

Whilst it is true I ask guests to order breakfast, from a substantial selection, the night before - by 9pm if possible, it is wrong that there is no fruit. One of the choices is a mixed fruit bowl with fruit or natural yoghurt. As my husband & do breakfasts on our own this is a beneficial way of giving a better choice and service to our guests. I acknowledge this may not suit everyone but on the whole seems to be appreciated especially since we have a great number of returning guests.

To finalise I am extremely pleased you have found other aspects of your stay to have been enjoyable but do regret you did not have a more pleasant experience.

Reviewed 4 October 2009

Thanks Dorothy - What a wonderful place to start your stay Edinburgh - She was so welcoming and knowledgeable of the entire area - and her guest house was in a great location WOW - I wished I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I stayed at Kenvie Guest House my last three nights in Scotland. I was on holiday with my nephew. The house was very comfortable and clean and the breakfast was perfect every morning. It was on a quiet side street not far from the Royal Mile. If I ever get back to Edinburgh I wuld most definately stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 9 September 2008

The Kenvie Guest House is run by a pleasant, informative woman who clearly takes pride in her service. The rooms, although small by US standards, were average by UK standards. The beds were very comfortable, and since the street that the Kenvie Guest House is on is so quiet at night, we slept long and hard. Breakfast was very good, and the proprietress was willing to make early or late breakfasts to accommodate the guests' schedules.

The only downsides to this B&B are a) that it is not located very close to dining, the nearest restaurant being at least four blocks away, a concern for those with limited mobility, and b) it is the upper levels of a "double-upper" house, so there are lots of stairs, also a hindrance to those with limited mobility.

On the whole we would recommend the Kenvie Guest House with few reservations.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family