“Disappointed”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Scotsman Spa & Health Club
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My girlfriend and I went to the spa, not the fitness room were the staff were just watching with open mouth a girl bum while running!

The Spa looks really nice and the atmosphere is really good.
Unfortunately the sauna is poor in warmth controling and no timer.
The exoctic room was closed and not advertised before.
The hammam is okay.

The swimming pool is small but okay as no many people that day.

The jaccuzzi is small but ok as long as not many people.

Quite expensive as a result!

1  Thank ALEXANDRE B

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I visited this hotel on Friday 14th February, to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, with their 'Valentines His & Her Treatment' package. Described as 'the perfect way to spend an indulgent Valentines together', this was exactly what we were looking for - an indulgent day of relaxation to make our first wedding anniversary a special memory.

However, as our day unfolded it was anything but! Our first encounter at the hotel was a very rude doorman, who shouted loudly across the hotel lobby for someone to deal with us, in a manner which made us feel like he was annoyed at having to deal with us at all!

We were then shown to the elevator and sent up to the floor where we would supposedly find the spa. When the elevator doors opened we were hit by a STRONG AND REPULSIVE SMELL OF RAW SEWAGE. This was extremely off putting and we very nearly decided to leave, but rather than ruin our anniversary treat we thought we would try to find the spa and hope that the smell didn't carry on through there. The direction of the spa was extremely unclear, but when we did eventually find it, the entrance looked a lot more promising. The steely exterior looked very modern and was in keeping with the photo of the spa on the website. But when we entered, things were very different.

When I have visited spas before, the relaxation and tranquillity have always been the main attraction. The feeling of being able to have some r & r, in surroundings that make you feel comfortable. On these occasions I was met by that familiar mentholated spa scent that instantly initiates that relaxation. The staff are always dressed smartly in tunics or similar uniforms, portraying a professional image.

In contrast, when we arrived at this hotel spa, the most obvious smell was that of gym equipment and the staff were dressed in hooded tops and shorts with hair scraped back, in scruffy ponytails. Initially I assumed we had taken the wrong direction and arrived in the gym. However, this was the spa area!! The changing rooms were that of the gym, and were situated just off the open plan gym area. This meant that when we were changed into our robes, (my robe had broken belt loops and seemed very worn and dirty looking, my husbands had no loops and both were very rough and extremely uncomfortable, and the slippers were also used!) we had to walk towards the gym where people working out, staring at us, adding to our discomfort. I would never enter a gym dressed in just a robe with nothing but a bikini underneath and found it very degrading to have to do so now!

When we came downstairs my husband wandered into the pool area to check out the facilities...the tropicarium was out of order, the pool very small and the Jacuzzi was tiny. With one slightly larger man already using it, the two of us wouldn't have been able to fit in it. There were also a family with three or four young kids heading for the pool.

At this point we decided that we just couldn't have enjoyed our day as the special treat that we had hoped it would be. How could we 'indulge' in 'relaxation' and 'luxury' with children playing in the small pool or enjoy the use of the Jacuzzi when it was too small to comfortably fit, unless it was only the two of us there? To be perfectly honest we could of had use of a sauna and steam room at our local leisure centre if we wanted this kind of atmosphere. There was no aromatherapy in the steam room and nothing which made the facilities any different from that of an ordinary leisure centre.

Our robes were damaged and uncomfortable, the surroundings bright and noisy, the facilities lacking and wrongly advertised...we felt cheated of our money. We were perfectly happy to pay such a sum of money for an indulgent treat for our anniversary, where we could relax in tranquil surroundings, (which is what we were led to believe we would be experiencing) but that was absolutely not what we were receiving!!

It is now clear why the only photo available for the 'spa' is one of the pool, taken, facing the opposite direction from the Jacuzzi and other facilities, and there are no pictures of the spa reception, staff or spa treatment rooms, because essentially it is just the hotel gym and leisure centre. I searched endlessly online to find a spa in the city which was not just a hotel gym and pool, and where most other hotels made it clear that this is what they offered, your hotel did not. Hence this is where we booked.

When I explained all of the above to the leisure manager and told her that we felt uncomfortable and disappointed, that we were celebrating our first anniversary and were looking for a special relaxing treat, which we felt was not possible here, she was very abrupt and unhelpful. There was no attempt to make our experience more enjoyable or to confront any of our problems. All she was interested in was informing us that they would still be taking our payment! The package and spa facilities are falsely advertised and we had not received ANY services or goods and were leaving because of this so we should absolutely not have been charged!!!

I now discover, much to my outrage, that the transaction has gone ahead. The services were unsatisfactory and falsely advertised. And my problems and complaints not met with the professionalism I would expect. And now I'm £150 out of pocket for an experience which ruined my first anniversary!!

I have contacted the hotel about this and had no reply or help whatsoever!!

Do not go here for use of the spa. It is absolutely not what it is made out to be and the staff have absolutely no interest in customer service!!

5  Thank Leigh F