“My best favourite bar in the world at the moment”
Review of Panda & Sons

Panda & Sons
Ranked #2 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
North Wales
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“My best favourite bar in the world at the moment”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

When we arrived the doorman informed us that there were no tables but we could stand at the bar - fine by us (2 female friends). We looked at the cocktail list but couldn't quite see anything vodkary that we liked so we asked the batman to make us something up, which he did and it was delicious. As we were standing the waitress came over and let us know that a table was soon becoming available if we wanted to sit down, so we did and thought how great that was that she'd asked. We then had the cocktail that was served in the tin can as we liked the look of it but didn't have a clue what it was. It came with complimentary water and popcorn. The atmosphere was fab, with a DJ playing and all sorts of people there. We had a brill time and were sorry to leave and only did as I had another load of bars on my list to visit, none of which were as good as Panda though. £17 for 2 cocktails which is about the norm.

Visited May 2014

Cape Town, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Whisky Cocktail shave ”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

At first glances this barber shopfront can be deceiving , them you walk down stairs to discover a bookshelf? Huh. When you pull two books the doors opens to reveal an amazing gem of cocktails, whiskies and beers. Try the tapas as they were also great. Great Service was matched with some eccentric whisky and other spirit cocktails, they are highly skilled behind the bar.. Enjoy the discovery

2 Thank Craig D
Livingston, Scotland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Unique bar that delivers”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Loved, loved LOVED this quirky little place, right on the corner of Queen Street at the West End. So quirky, in fact, you might walk right past it if you’re not in the know. The frontage of the bar is designed to look like a barbers - enter the property, down a flight of stairs and you will see a door styled like a library bookcase. All very secretive, but don’t be fooled – Once you are through the barber/bookshop ruse you will be sure to experience some truly unique and trendy libations!!

Upon arrival you will be served ice water and popcorn to nibble on when you peruse the eclectic menu. I can highly recommend the Milky Bar Hero – a cocktail sharer of six mini milk bottles presented in a dinky crate. Now, I did say a sharer for 6, but if you want my advice, I woudn’t let any more than 3 of you in on it – you will want a second. The Emperor’s New Clothes is also worth a mention – Ron Zacapa Rum, sake, peppermint Tea and Lemon Juice all mixed together and presented in a cute tin can. I also witnessed another table order a Birdcage – a curious looking sharing cocktail with lots of vapour pouring out of it. It’s on my list for next time!

Now all that beverage sipping might make you peckish – Panda and Sons have that covered. There’s a selection of nibbles from Wasabi Peas to sharing plates of bread and cheese.

The vintage/prohibition era vibe they have got going on works, yet this place is not try hard… it just is cool. There are lots of quirky little elements that make Panda and Sons different. China plates, notes tied to the drinking straws, transfers on the bathroom mirrors that make going to the toilet that bit more fun. I won’t elaborate – you will have to see for yourself!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank caz141
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“About time”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

What a great cocktail bar without all the pretentious nonsense that seems to go with them these days. Great concept and equally great service from the team. Amazing cocktails that impressed my partner and a good choice of bottled beers for me. Highly recommend a visit.

1 Thank iainlaidlaw
West Lothian, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Quirky place, if you can find it!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Visited Panda & Sons last weekend.
Outside is decorated in a barber shop style, chances are high that you could walk right past if you weren't in the know! Along a short corridor, down a flight of stairs (I don't think there is a lift available) and you'd be forgiven for thinking you were lost when at the bottom of the stairs you are greeted with a bookcase and a dead end... The bookcase is the door into the bar!
Had a table reserved, even at 4pm in the afternoon it was quite busy so reservations are advised. Shown to our table, our server provided us with some fresh water and a small bowl of popcorn while be perused the extensive cocktail menu. Lots to choose from so pick wisely!
The Milky Bar Heroes went down well at our table! 6 little milk bottles served up in a little milk crate - share amongst 3 of you at most as I guarantee you will want a second helping! Saw lots of other drinks being ferried to tables from the bar - The Bird Cage cocktail looks very interesting.
If you are peckish there are a few options at the back of the menu to choose from. Wasabi peas, crackling, meat & cheese boards to name a few. The meat & cheese boards could do with a few extra bits of bread and less of the gross blue cheese to make it better though!

Cant wait until we visit again!

Visited April 2014