“Absolutely Disgusting! BEWARE!”
Review of Adelphi Hotel

Adelphi Hotel
Ranked #350 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The price you see, pay and result is not what you would expect. We were charged £150 for a horrible room. Shower was dribbling. Carpet looks nasty. Curtains urinated on. Resulted us not staying there at all. We checked in and come back and checked out. We were promised by a Lady called Prette that we would be refunding and having called today, the hotel is now saying that it was not there fault that we decided not to stay. I dont think they would pay £150 to stay in room number 8 themselves. Absolutely disgusting! Totally agree with Sally Anne.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan Xuan H

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Absolutely disgusting, filthy , in need of complete renovation .my daughter was taking us away for a theatre weekend brake . Due to the rugby being on in Edinburgh she found it hard to get accomadation , but thought this would be fine due to charging £160 per night , looks ok outside work being carried out on brick work so entrance hall very dusty . Dirty bedding lying about hall wall paper very dated and falling of wall , took us to our room , cheep beds and linen , tea rings on furniture , again wallpaper very dated , cobwebs hanging from the ceiling , bathroom dingy black mould around shower and sink , I killed an ant on my bed god only knows what else was living there . As far as health and safety was concerned they weren't bothered with that carpets thread bare , This was like somewhere the homeless would stay for free , this place should be closed down for goodness sake get a bench in the park rather than stay here .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sally Anne Y
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Sorry, this review is really late - had stayed here in early December of 2009.
Room and shared bath though were not the cleanest I've experienced - I recall there were bed bugs in the bed of my single room, but my friend said there was none in his. Obviously I did not have a good night's sleep as I chose to stay vigilant in squashing the bugs as they appeared...
Location wasn't too bad - local digs and touristy restaurants (which we avoided) were available some distance away. We went to The Foot Of The Walk on Constitution Street and thoroughly enjoyed the tasty grub and beer!
Breakfast here was excellent - in fact, this was our first stop and after travelling through other parts of Scotland, I can confidently say that the breakfast here was the best I've tasted across the beautiful and majestic Scotland!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank nessa_11
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Very nice room, warm, clean and with a very helpful and friendly staff! You can walk to the centre of Edinburgh from there (30min walk with a beautiful view) or you can take a very quick bus. Great service for a very low price.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view to a beautiful park. Ask for it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Tiny rooms, poor odour, shared bathroom no bigger than an aeroplanes bathroom. Paid for two nights at £69 but upon arival decided that the place was so poor I'd rather move on and forfeit my money. All in all, sadly you would be better off digging a hole in the adjacent park.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank benandkate1310
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I am a senior citizen who travelled alongwith my wife to Scotland as tourists to spend few days in peace after a big tragedy wherein we had lost our beloved daughter Capt.(Miss) Varsha (18 years), the youngest female commercial pilot trainee in India in a worst mid-air collision in Philippines.
One ensuite double room was booked for us online for 4 nights from 17 Oct. to 20 Oct.2013 which was confirmed by the hotel and the payment was also collected by them accordingly. Upon check-in at the hotel room, we found that the room provided to us was not ensuite but was only a substandard ordinary tiny room with common toilet and shower outside the room. We have immediately requested the staff Mr Indervir Singh who allotted us the room to change it to ensuite double room as booked, paid and confirmed by them.He refused to change the room for no reason and was non-cooperative which put us in to lot of inconveniences and mental agony, The room which we lived in was not even worth GBP 15 per night whereas the hotel instead collected the higher rate of ensuite double room. We requested him to give us adequate compensation for breach of contract, unfair trade practice and wilful cheating but he refused to give any compensation and remained non-cooperative.
We have also noticed that the room was not properly cleaned every day and the sheets were not changed.at all. Even the used bath room towels which were dumped for washing were replaced as new without washing. The room always had a bad smell. As a whole it was inhygenic and unhealthy to live in Adelphi hotel.
There was no restaurant or eating place around that area and to find one was atleast 20 minutes away for which we had to depend on bus.
Thus inspite of knowing our tragedy, the hotel had further damaged our mental peace and aggrevated the agony by adding fuel to the fire and also spoiling our Scotland visit. We wish the authorities concerned take suitable action against the hotel management to stop recurrence of this kind of wilful cheating to other tourists in future so that the innocent tourists will not fall prey to such bad elements.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Upon arriving in Edinburgh, the hotel I had originally booked informed me that they had infact double booked me and therefore didn't have a room for me but instead arranged a room for me in the Adelphi Private Hotel at 7 Link Gardens. Upon arriving at Adelphi Private Hotel, there was a terrible musky, damp smell. The decor was extremely dated and worn, and was in desperate need of a refurbishment and deep clean. After dealing with the manager and filling out certain forms for my stay, I headed up to my room. There were torn carpets on the stairwell, a hazard to health and safety, cobwebs at most corners of the walls which indicates poor standards of cleaning. Upon arriving at my room, I opened my door, which for one was broken, chipped and held together by a latch, the decor in the room was as bad as the entrance, dull, dated and worn with wallpaper hanging and missing. The bathroom was dirty and the glass shower door was filthy and didn't look as though it had been cleaned in months. There was wallpaper missing from the bathroom and the bedroom, the towel rail was hanging off and the fire alarm was seperated from the ceiling and hanging from a wire. There were chips in the walls around the room and pieces of fixtures missing. The bathroom door was also broken and was almost impossible to open and close as it continuously jammed. The ceiling of the bedroom was absolutely filthy and looked as though it had been drawn all over and hadn't ever been cleaned or repainted since opening. The coving around the bedroom was in tatters and there were parts of it that were physically hanging off which is a hazard to customers safety. The worst part about my extremely brief encounter with the Adelphi Private Hotel was the fact that I physically sat down on the bed which didn't smell as though the sheets had been washed which was bad enough, but upon turning the sheets down, I discovered them to be covered in blood. Dried human blood. I was absolutely appauled and horrified as this is a massive health and safety risk and highly hazardous to human health, not to mention absolutely disgusting. Upon approaching the "manager" of the establishment and taking him to the room to complain about all of the above, he merely brushed off my complaint as though it was nothing, and a common mistake to happen and that it is often that their room attendant forgot to change the sheets or overlooked it and that this was not identified as a problem. Then to top it all off, I asked for the owner of the hotels contact details in order to take my complaint further as the "manager", a boy no older than 25 wearing a grey sock hat, told me that my complaint wasn't going to be heard as my complaint had nothing to do with him or their hotel but infact the hotel that sent me there and that my complaint, however regarding the cleanliness and state of THEIR hotel, had nothing to do with them. I would not recommend that anybody stay at this hotel for fear of contracting an ailment. Worst encounter I've ever experienced. Please see photos attached.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends