“Not too bad”

Ranked #397 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I took my family to Edinburgh just for the weekend, I booked this hotel because of the price. later on I read the reviews and I was horrified with them!!! I even packed a set of sheets just in case.
upon my arrival I was very pleased to see that the place was not too bad, it is not a 5 start hotel, but the room and the bathroom were clean, the receptionist was very helpful and gave us tips of the surroundings, it is very accessible to public transportation (line 12 stop is just outside the hotel) and it will take you to downtown Edinburgh. breakfast was ok, I took a tour early in the morning and the attendant offered to pack breakfast for us!!!
I am an avid traveler and I have to say...this was a good hotel for the price!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank edrpj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed for a night in adelphi hotel. Upon arrival there was no one on desk just bell to call someone . Waited for 10 min to pay fee and finally get the keys.
Room was average facing street. Wich was noisy. Of course strange smell and dust was another not soo embracing moment. Toilet was a mess and shower room with missing parts of wood in a wall. Squeaky floor and dust on a carpet. Before we left we went downstairs to check out and maintenance man ask us just leave the keys. No one to ask how everything was no one to say good bye to. Really happy that I stayed one night because I wouldn't stay there anymore. Never going back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victor Z

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed on 20 of may over night and night was nightmare.
There whole hotel stinks of food plus smell of new white wash(don't mind),A not normal receptionist always in his room with the worst customers services quality.
The room smell of previous stayer (I have got good sense of smell :-)... ) it looks like duvet not been changed anyway smell of someone with with fats in his/her body stayed there, on my saying he had to chnage the duvet.
Toilet Ok But one toilet the whole hotel.
Booking.com don't show rating star signs by which I I got conceived and couldn't read reviews.

Would never go there.

Thanks

Jay

• Stayed May 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked the Adelphi for the Edinburgh Marathon Festival as everywhere else was full unless you were prepared to pay a fortune, and even then we paid £140 for a double room which in my opinion was worth about £30. It's not a very pleasant hotel - it smells a bit damp, mixed with the smell of paint, though where the fresh paint was, I've no idea. There's a skip full of rubbish in the front garden and my heart sank just on seeing the outside. Carpets are worn, wallpaper peeling, bathrooms (shared with 2 other rooms) filthy. I didn't feel safe - the hotel is noisy and the locks on the door flimsy and as a disabled guest, being up 2 floors wasn't good (though in fairness we booked the last room available out of desperation, they couldn't have offered me another room). In the event of a fire, I'd be in real trouble. I'll be glad to leave in the morning, and we're not staying for breakfast. Avoid this hotel wherever possible, it's just not good.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SusieW55
Aberfeldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

booked to stay here a couple of nights but after arriving realised it was a disgusting place and turned around and left. no refund even though they have very falsely advertised and no help from booking.com who falsely advertised for them, so will not be returning or using booking.com again and advise anyone reading this to do the same!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Vicki M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by an unhelpful Receptionist who blatantly ignored us and continued her mobile phone conversation. Eventually she got round to serving us only to tell us they had no record of our booking. Several telephone calls later she eventually sorted us out a room which she said was double and had en suite facilities. Lies, lies, lies. We complained and we're told that none of their rooms had en suite. Well why advertise en suite if you don't have it? The receptionist then offered us an en suite room at their sister hotel. We accepted. The room we eventually got was in a cellar with poor lighting. The en suite had no hot water and no plug on the wash hand basin. We put it down to experience and treated it purely as a place to get out heads down at the end of the night. Personally i'd have rather slept in a cardboard box on the street. On arrival back home we submitted a complaint through laterooms.com who we booked through and the hotel responded by saying the member of staff no longer worked there. No refund offered and no apology. It baffles me how these people are allowed to run a hotel. Shockingly bad

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ian A
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

OK, the bed was clean and comfortable enough, and the (not powerful) shower was hot enough, but our room (two singles and a double bed) was horrid. The kettle and hair dryer worked, but the shutter-style window made us wonder if we could escape through it in case of a fire. Not that we'd want to try, as we'd have to jump into the abyss of what is some major sewer(?) work going on in front of and behind the building (there's a skip just outside the front entrance, full of rubbish). The professional photos on the hotel's site are quite misleading; this place is charmless. Black mold behind the bathroom sink, stained, horrid wallpaper. Worse than Faulty Towers. Read Sally Anne Y's "Don't stay here" review; she's spot on.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, if possible.