“Value for money”

Ranked #148 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Value for money”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Lantern House during our recent long weekend away and the accomodation was exactly what we needed.

We stayed in the large lower ground double room which had plenty of space and was toasty warm on arrival. I recommend asking for this larger room if given the choice, as our friends stayed in the back lower ground double room which was much smaller. We were able to access wifi in our bedroom, but understand our friends could not get signal in theirs. Our bathroom was pretty small but had all you needed - my only negative comment is with regards to the shower which was pretty weak and not all that hot. Overall, I found the hotel clean and comfortable and we had two very good nights' sleep here. It is certainly not luxury but then that's not what you're paying for.

We only met staff at the end of our trip when we were leaving our bags for the day. Access to the lower ground room was via keypads, so there was no need to ever go in via the main entrance and we were not greeted by anyone. Not that this was a problem for us, but worth mentioning as it felt more like a guest house than a hotel.

The hotel is well located - an easy 5-10 minute walk from Princess Street, with numerous cafes, pubs and restaurants near by. There's a bus stop just outside to take you to the zoo, and we walked everywhere during our weekend. A cab from the airport was just over £20.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay at Lantern House. It ticked all the boxes, and for £49 per room per night was a real bargain.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights. Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the building. It was small and fairly basic, but clean, quiet and warm. It was a great base for exploring Edinburgh - close to the new town for shopping and only about 15-20 minutes walk from the old town for all the wonderful cultural/touristy things to do
There's plenty of places to eat and drink nearby and there's a cinema and theatre round the corner too. Bus stops are right at the end of the street should you need them.

The staff member that we encountered was very friendly and helpful (even when we had to disturb her at 10pm after a mix up with the keys, which was entirely our fault!). Also, the directions that were provided prior to our arrival made getting there from the airport totally stress free.

The only negatives...the shower is tiny and has a cheap curtain which wraps itself around you consistently and there's nowhere to put anything in the shower like shampoo etc. There were a couple of things that needed some improvement - the towel rail wasn't securely attached to the wall any more and there were only about 5 hangers in the wardrobe between the two of us (so I donated my Primark hangers after a shopping trip!).

But overall it was a great place to stay for the price that we paid. We would definitely use the Lantern again, and in fact plan to return in the new year for my birthday.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My girlfriend and I had a great 2 night stay at Lantern House.

We had one of the lower-ground floor rooms.The room was fairly small but by no means too small for 2. It felt like an apartment, as you can get in without having to go through the main house itself. Having a door code to get in was convenient as we never had to worry about losing any keys.

The hotel's location was the best thing about it - a 10 minute walk from Waverley station. The walk is all gently uphill, but that made getting back a lot easier after a day of walking around the city or an evening of food and drink. In any case, there is a bus stop right outside. The theatre and Omni Centre are also right around the corner.

Overall, a really nice stay, and great value for Edinburgh! Recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

me and my partner stayed here for valentines day last year and it was abousoutly amazzing!! right in the centre of ednibrough, location was perfect and easy to find. right near bus stops in case you want to go on days out to the zoo. the rooms are clean simple and elgant, bathrooms prsitine. great working telly and dvd player, great heating. even great comfy beds!! everything was fantastic at a great bargain price of 38 pound a night!!! across the road is carlton hill , quite an easy climb to give one of the top 50 views in the country and oh my its spectacular!!! i would highgly recomend coming here for a great classy experience.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and I stayed in room 4. Room was a good size, very clean, bed was comfortable, bathroom was nice. Owner seemed very friendly and helpful. Location was good, very close to town, 10 minutes walk - just far enough away to be quiet. Room had a booklet detailing things like recommended restaurants and wifi (which was a decent speed and easy to connect to) and even had a family photo of the owners in the back which I thought was a great touch. I am a 22 year old female travelling alone and I felt perfectly safe, I also felt safe enough to leave personal/expensive belongings in my room overnight while I was away on a tour. I would definitely stay here again. I was also able to leave my bag behind for a few hours after checking out as my flight wasn't until the afternoon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We found this place whilst looking on a last minute kind of website and found it for the bargain price of £50. For this price it had everything we could want- a really close location to main street (15 min walk), really clean bathroom and the room was plenty big enough for two. The wi-fi didn't work properly when we were there and the t.v reception was average but we spent most of the time out and about anyway. For a really clean place in the centre of town, for a bargain price, you can't go past this place.

• Stayed August 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed at the hotel for three nights whilst on holiday in Edinburgh. We chose the hotel as it was a good price and we were on a budget. The room was great; bed was comfy and the shower was good. The hotel owners email you a room code before you arrive. This means there is no hassle with checking in, however, we never saw anyone in the hotel or met the hotel staff.

There are lots of places nearby to have breakfast (the hotel doesn't provide breakfast), and I would recommend Urban Angel on Hanover Street, it does gluten free toast! Also, walk into the city centre via Calton hill for great views!

The only thing that wasn't so good is that you only get two towels, with no hand towel in the bathroom. But this was very minor!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple