If you are looking for an inexpensive, yet clean and comfortable place to stay while visiting Edinburgh, look no further than Lantern House. My boyfriend and I are mature students, and were searching for an affordable place to stay in the city centre, but did not want to stay in a hostel. We stumbled across Lantern House on Tripadvisor, and in spite of the mediocre reviews, we selected it because of its low price point, and proximity to Edinburgh Waverley train station, and the various tourist attractions on the Royal Mile. We were pleased to find that everything we wanted to see was within easy walking distance, with the station only a 10 minute walk, and the Royal Mile only a little further away.
From the outside, the Lantern House is an elegant Georgian townhouse, with plenty of charm and character. The inside is much more austere and stripped down, but we found it to be very clean. Most visitors probably never see the hotel proprietors owing to the fact that there is no reception area, and you let yourself into the building via a security code. However, we did run into the manager one morning, and he was very friendly and helpful.
We would definitely come back for our next trip to Edinburgh.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lantern Guest House is set up as 3 mini apartments, combining historic Georgian tradition with modern features such as pin code entry and high speed wifi.Very close to the city centre hub around the Playhouse, Omni Centre and Tram terminus, also close to Waverley Rail Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Book Direct Rooms, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lantern Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lantern House Hotel Edinburgh
- Lantern Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland