All reviews common room scrambled eggs and toast each bunk bed female dorm boutique hostel fantastic hostel rent towels favourite hostel central location shower stall every morning other guests communal kitchen free breakfast glass door train station bring earplugs
Reviewed 3 May 2017

I've just stayed at The Baxter for 3 nights - and will definitely stay there again. (The hostel I usually stay in was fully booked - and now I'm so glad it was!)
Yes the entrance to the hostel isn't the smartest looking place, but as soon as you ring the doorbell of The Baxter, you're met by smiling helpful staff - and welcoming surroundings.
I arrived at 8.30am after an overnight coach journey from down South. I was able to leave my luggage in secure surroundings (that didn't cost a fortune) and was offered breakfast before I set off for the morning.
I stayed in Room 3 (6 bed all-female dorm) It was clean and bright, with enough floor space for us to all move about. The lockers are spacious (I had brought my own padlock, but these are available for a small charge) I was on a bottom bunk - which I liked. With each bunk having it's own power point and light - and a small storage shelf, guests have their own space. Bed was made up on arrival - and was really comfortable (I slept like a log)
Having read other reviews before my visit, I wondered what the shower and toilet area was going to be like, but it was great. I did wonder whether there would be queues as there are only 2 toilets, 2 washbasins and 4 showers, but I never had to wait - and this was over a Bank Holiday weekend when the hostel was full. The shower cubicles are small, but if you hang all your things up before you close the glass door, everything stays dry. I had no problem with this being a mixed area as all the doors had locks on them.
The kitchen / common room area looks small at first, but I was always able to get a seat - and it was a great area to sit and chat with other guests - with cup of "free" coffee (which is available 24 hours a day)
Breakfast is simple, but I particularly liked the fact they cooked fresh scrambled eggs and toast for each guest as they came in.
All the staff were so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble for them. I particularly liked that there are staff on duty 24 hours a day.
I was staying there while I attended a family wedding - and the girls even wanted to see me all dressed up before I left!
Will I return to The Baxter - Of course I will! (I've got the T-shirt, so I've got to come back!)
Thank you for a great weekend - see you again someday (soon, I hope!)

Room tip: This may be hostel, but facilities are great. It's "industrial" look makes is different, but there are many touches which make it homely.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Going into the hostel up the stairs it looked a bit scruffy but once you get in the common room has people in it chatting and making tea or coffee which is always free.staff are lovely and friendly- someone is always there and willing to help with whatever you need.
In the morning someone is there too cook you eggs on toast or you can make cereal for yourself.
Hostel rooms really clean and showers are great.
Can't wait to go back to Edinburgh so I can stay here again!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2017

I am puzzled by the extremely good ratings. Okay, granted the beds are clean, service staff is very friendly and location is good. The design is pretty too BUT overall, this is a highly impractical hostel.

1) Poor facilities in very old building
The pretty pantry area we see in the picture is a kitchen + communal area + reception. That's how small this hostel is. When someone cooks, the smell will stick if you are working on your laptop just 2m away. Ventilation is poor as building is old and not designed for good circulation. The drainage is bad too, so when you bathe, expect the place to flood. Our warmer broke down one of the nights but the staff was quick in trying to fix it. shower cubicles are forever down. my 3 days there, 3 out of 5 of the cubicles cannot be used. All things add up, these facilities are either too old, or this building is unable to support the necessary amenities.

2) tiniest toilet ever
This is one of the biggest factors that would deter me from returning to this hostel. Bathing is a crazy challenge. Their 1X1sqm toilet (or smaller?) is shared between men and ladies. So you can't come out and change as you please. The cubicle is tiny and the drainage poor. So if you accidentally drop your clothes before the water is drained... ops. That is provided, of course, you can even change properly within such a tight space.

3) wifi is available only in the pantry
If I did not purchase sufficient data for my trip, this is a no no for me because firstly, sometimes the pantry area stinks when someone cooks. You will not want to sit there and work and come out smelling like spicy chicken (esp JUST after you have bathed). Secondly, the place is so tiny there isn't enough space for everyone to cram in there. Even if you are ok with smelling like spicy chicken, you may not get a comfortable private seat to surf your net. So it would be really great if they can rethink this.

4) Bedroom: the space is so tight, to make business work they had to stack 3 beds instead of two. This further limits the head room, and people who is very taller or has claustrophobia would probably find the stay traumatizing.

5) if you are someone who hates climbing the stairs... maybe you will wish to reconsider this hostel. Of course if you compare to its upstairs neighbour haggis, this is tolerable. But if you are carrying crazy amount of weight on you, you may wish to try somewhere else.

That said, I must really commend the staff for their excellent service. friendly and helpful, they are always there when we needed help. really good service. Just a note to all, in case you are planning what to pack. Bring your own towel and lock if you wish to save the cost of renting them. Hair dryer you can borrow from the reception for free.

Room tip: I would suggest you ask for the lowest bunk bed.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed 2 days in the Baxter and that wasn't a mistake: great location, friendly and helpful staff, cool rooms and comfortable beds.
The accommodation is also quite original with a good style.
The very good point is that this hostel is also not noisy at all.
Only one drawback, 2 of 4 showers were out of order.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ptirom
Reviewed 18 April 2017

I have stayed a total of five nights in the Baxter in the beginning of April. I had a bed in room 3, which is a 6 bed girl dorm. The room was very modern and clean, and every bed had it's own outlet, light, shelf, towel rack and locker. If your roommates are traveling with big suitcases, the space can get a bit cluttered, but generally speaking the rooms have enough space.

The check-in, kitchen and common are situated in the same room. Although there aren't a lot of tables, I never had problems getting a seat at breakfast. The breakfast is included in the price, and you can have cereal, coffee and tea, orange juice, as well as toast and eggs freshly prepared for you by the staff. If you prefer making your own breakfast (or lunch/dinner), there is a fridge as well, and obviously pots and pans which are all free to use.

There are 4 showers, 2 toilets and 2 separate sinks. The showers were great, clearly very new, with great water pressure and temperature. Keep in mind that there isn't a 'changing place' inside of the showers, as some other hostels do have. I suggest wrapping your towel around you and leaving your clothes in your room to change after, or to change in the toilets (which are very spacious).

The Baxter is situated on the first floor of a building in which other hostels are located as well. The hallway up can seem a little bit sketchy at first, but once you're inside, the hostel itself feels very safe and modern.

Although there is a pub situated on the ground floor of the building, the rooms are very quiet. The beds are comfy and the curtain blocks out the light very well. I've had great nights of sleep in the Baxter :)

Next to the modern interior and the friendly staff, the location is also what makes this hostel so great! Situated in a side street from Princess Street, you can reach the Royal Mile in a couple of minutes. Simply cross the North Bridge and you will find yourself in the heart of the Old Town. There are many restaurants, cafés and stores nearby. In the Waverley Trainstation (literally across the street) is a Sainbury's Local (supermarket) which is open until 11pm.

I've had an amazing stay in the Baxter, and would absolutely stay here again!

• Trip type: Travelled solo