All reviews common room scrambled eggs and toast each bunk bed female dorm boutique hostel fantastic hostel rent towels favourite hostel central location shower stall every morning other guests communal kitchen free breakfast glass door train station bring earplugs
Reviewed 13 June 2017

Stayed here for 1 night in May; I was arriving after midnight, but this wasn't an issue for the friendly staff.
The dorm I stayed in had triple bunks, so if you're not great with heights, request a bottom bunk! The bunks are metal and very sturdy - no creaking or swaying when bunk mates are climbing on and off. There's a shelf, power point and reading light for each bunk too.
The kitchen is awesome, and they even provide eggs for breakfast (as well as the usual fare of toast, cereals, juice, etc).
The Baxter is located in an old building, but the hostel itself has been entirely refitted to look like new, and is quite nice.
My one gripe is with the bathroom situation. There is 1 unisex bathroom, which has 2 toilets and 4 showers - I don't know who thought this was a good ratio to have, but I suspect it doesn't work very well when the hostel is full! The stall showers are new, with big wooden doors for privacy. There are a couple of hooks on the wooden doors, but as there is only a gap of ~10cm between the shower door and the wooden doors, there's not much you can hang there. There is no shelving in the shower either, so there's really nowhere to put anything you want to keep dry - and your only option for getting dressed is in the shower stall itself.
Overall, the Baxter was a nice place to stay, but perhaps a bit more thought on the practical aspects of the hostel rather than just its looks?

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2017

The Baxter hostel is in a great location. I talked to them about working on their signs for downstairs because they share a building with two other hostels and the street signs are unclear. You have to walk up a few flights of stairs before you get to The Baxter and all the art on the wall only mentions the two other hostels so it's a bit confusing.

Overall, the hostel was smaller than I thought it would be but was comfortable and had a small B&B kind of vibe.

There were three bunks on each side of my room and each one had a little shelf and plug so that was helpful.

Bring your own lock if you can so you don't have to pay to rent one.

The staff and the location were the best part about the experience. They cook scrambled eggs and toast every morning which is a very nice touch. Everyone is nice and wants you to have an enjoyable experience.

It is a bit difficult to navigate the shower situation if you are in a mixed bedroom dorm. The bathrooms and showers are small but workable if you come up with a changing game plan. They clean them often.

My main suggestions for The Baxter would be:
1) Better signage outside and in the hallways
2) The bathrooms need ventilation because there is mold all over the ceiling
3) Fan rentals for the rooms because it got really hot at night

Thank you for a safe and comfortable stay.

Room tip: Bring an eye mask so you can still sleep when the sun rises at 4 AM
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2017

Tricky to find, but in the core of the city, close to everything!
The hostel is beautiful, so home, great rooms and bathrooms.
The people so lovely, so great! They make you feel right at home.They make you eggs and toast every morning, and always offer you something hot and nice.
Sure to came back and stay there!

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Had a wonderful 2 nights stay here with some friends, right in the heart of town was an amazing stay. Such a safe warm and welcoming place would recommend to anyone, the breakfast is amazing, the room, bathroom, toilet s and kitchen were super clean just as good as a 4* hotel. Cant wait to visit the baxter and Edinburgh again...... thank u baxter hostel x

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2017

I've just stayed at The Baxter for 3 nights - and will definitely stay there again. (The hostel I usually stay in was fully booked - and now I'm so glad it was!)
Yes the entrance to the hostel isn't the smartest looking place, but as soon as you ring the doorbell of The Baxter, you're met by smiling helpful staff - and welcoming surroundings.
I arrived at 8.30am after an overnight coach journey from down South. I was able to leave my luggage in secure surroundings (that didn't cost a fortune) and was offered breakfast before I set off for the morning.
I stayed in Room 3 (6 bed all-female dorm) It was clean and bright, with enough floor space for us to all move about. The lockers are spacious (I had brought my own padlock, but these are available for a small charge) I was on a bottom bunk - which I liked. With each bunk having it's own power point and light - and a small storage shelf, guests have their own space. Bed was made up on arrival - and was really comfortable (I slept like a log)
Having read other reviews before my visit, I wondered what the shower and toilet area was going to be like, but it was great. I did wonder whether there would be queues as there are only 2 toilets, 2 washbasins and 4 showers, but I never had to wait - and this was over a Bank Holiday weekend when the hostel was full. The shower cubicles are small, but if you hang all your things up before you close the glass door, everything stays dry. I had no problem with this being a mixed area as all the doors had locks on them.
The kitchen / common room area looks small at first, but I was always able to get a seat - and it was a great area to sit and chat with other guests - with cup of "free" coffee (which is available 24 hours a day)
Breakfast is simple, but I particularly liked the fact they cooked fresh scrambled eggs and toast for each guest as they came in.
All the staff were so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble for them. I particularly liked that there are staff on duty 24 hours a day.
I was staying there while I attended a family wedding - and the girls even wanted to see me all dressed up before I left!
Will I return to The Baxter - Of course I will! (I've got the T-shirt, so I've got to come back!)
Thank you for a great weekend - see you again someday (soon, I hope!)

Room tip: This may be hostel, but facilities are great. It's "industrial" look makes is different, but there are many touches which make it homely.
Date of stay: April 2017