All reviews common room scrambled eggs and toast each bunk bed female dorm boutique hostel fantastic hostel rent towels favourite hostel central location shower stall every morning other guests communal kitchen free breakfast glass door train station bring earplugs
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

First up. Prepare for a lot of stairs. If you can't handle stairs then don't stay here! Other than that, this is the most amazing hostel I've stayed at across my seven month solo travel adventure. Staff and facilities were incredible. I actually fell ill while staying here and everyone was so caring and considerate! Thanks Baxter! Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Edi.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

My visit lasted only one night and it was such a homely place. Although I checked in earlier and left my baggage in the reception, I was invited for a warm and freshly prepared breakfast. The hostel is so centrally located that it is easy to access from the airport and also close to the main shopping area. Can easily enjoy a walking tour in the old city from here within a day. Towels, padlocks available at a cost. The dorm beds are three stories high. Washrooms are meticulously cleaned by the staff. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2017

hostel is very new and very clean. the beds are very comfortable, could do with a kind of curtain though to get some privacy. loved the staff and the breakfast they made every morning. great atmosphere in the communal area with WiFi for free. bathroom s are clean but with only two toilets and four showers, you must expect queues in the morning.

Room tip: I was in the 6 bed female dorm. with window open it was noisy but who wouldn't take earplugs when staying in a hostel?!?
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2017

I haven't done the hostel experience for many years so was a bit apprehensive at first but my stay at the Baxter was very pleasant.

First things first, the location is very convenient. Very central and a few minutes from Edinburgh Waverley Train Station. So this made it very easy travelling around the city as it was so close to everything.

The next thing of note, is that the hostel's facilities are top notch. Decorated and styled to a very high standard! Very different from how I imagined how hostels were. The common room/ kitchen/ dining area was a nice place to chill and rest. The only things I did find a bit inconvenient was the showers. The hostel is not the biggest so understand that space has to be maximised but I did find it amusing have to climb into the shower full dressed, then to undress in the shower and then again dress again. It's not the biggest issue, especially if its for few days.

The last point which is probably one of the strongest selling point of the hostel is the staff! All of them were helpful, kind and friendly. Top points for making guests feel welcome and for being helpful!

So all in all, I would highly recommend the Baxter for a short stay if you are in Edinburgh!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank b3mach
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

This hostel was not what I expected. Although the location in the city is good, it is directly above a bar, which was very loud. You could hear music from the bar and noise from the street which made it difficult to fall asleep. In addition, the room had no air conditioning or fan and became very hot, even with the windows open. I also found it difficult that there was no private area to change as I was staying in a mixed dorm. You had to change either in the toilet or in the shower itself. The showers were very small, and there were only two toilets for the whole hostel. For the price I paid I expected add ons to be free, but was disappointed that locks for the lockers and towels cost money. Also, my bunk (bunk 12 in room 6) didn't have a plug in or a functioning individual light. On a positive note the staff were very friendly.

1  Thank TacoBelle8